• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Once again, no one should be questioning Hinton's abilities as he did beat out Wolford at one point. The real question remains can he stay healthy, as he has not shown the ability to do that yet. As I recall, he was hurt the last game or two in in HS career and been injured for a substantially good part of time he has played for Wake. I sincerely hope he can stay on the field because of his dynamic playing ability, but it is a serious question whether he can or not.

Once again, no one should be questioning Hinton's abilities as he did beat out Wolford at one point. The real question remains can he stay healthy, as he has not shown the ability to do that yet. As I recall, he was hurt the last game or two in in HS career and been injured for a substantially good part of time he has played for Wake. I sincerely hope he can stay on the field because of his dynamic playing ability, but it is a serious question whether he can or not.

Same is said about Wolford.

Wolford was banged up by being hit A LOT. He also always seemed accurate on his passes when he had time to throw.

Hinton's injury was caused by the grass monster. His passing accuracy has been an issue. He will benefit from having two years of the much improved Scotty Washington. That young man could develop into one of the top receivers in the country in two years.

I was definitely a Hinton-man in 2016-17. He was our running game. I always loved Wolford's toughness but didn't anticipate how great he'd be with a line that could protect and having better receivers. The same may be said of Hinton though.

Wolford was insanely accurate over this past year. Would love to see Hinton throw at the same level, but that appears unlikely. Hinton is the more dynamic runner, and yes, whomever the #2 QB is, he will get some time as WF's offense, and Hinton's propensity to get banged up means that the #2 QB will get meaningful snaps next year. WF's 2017 offense was the best in school history by a substantial margin. Likely that the offense will take at least a small step back without Wolford and Seringue, but the OL should be even better, and WF gets a healthy Dortch back. WF will score points.

As an aside related to recruiting, have had an inordinate number of non-WF people approach me about the Bowl win over Texas A&M. Exciting game, fun team to watch, dynamic players, cool uniforms. Realize that the evidence is anecdotal; even so, agree that WF will get a recruiting bump after the high-scoring season, capped off by a win that introduced a lot of people to WF Football under Clawson. Future looks good.

If I play on offense as a HS kid, and I look at what Wake's offense did this season, particularly the last half of it, I'm getting excited because if your a back or receiver, even a tight end, you will get opportunities to have the ball in your hands. As a lineman, its always more fun to block when the guys your blocking for are moving the ball and scoring.

If I'm a defense player, I think this team needs some people at a bunch of places. Also, one mistake isn't ball game because the O can make up for it.

Future is bright. Now the coaches need to make it happen by getting some higher ranked kids that fit the "Clawson player" profile into the 2019 class. (With maybe a few more into the '18 class in Feb.)

This y’all. People act like Wolford wasn’t questionable AF a year ago. Hinton can make the same leap. Clawson clearly executes a plan. I expect the QB position to keep improving as Clawson learns how to get the most out of his guys and he recruits and develops better OL and skill position players.

That‘s the whole point. The people who are not Hinton believers today are saying that he NEEDS to make the same leap. I sincerely hope he does. But if he doesn‘t, we will take a step back next year.

Wolford did what few people do when told he was second string at the beginning of spring practice. He went out and showed by his play, that the coaches had to go in a different direction, namely making him the starter.

Wolford showed that given a little bit of time, he was very very good at hitting his target. Since the offensive line had gotten better and was able to give him that time, even with Ejiofor coming after him, he looked very good and won the starting job.

I really dont understand how anyone can anticipate Hinton being as accurate as Wolford. Also, I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if Hinton ends with less rush yards next year than Wolford had this year. Hinton has to take a big leap to be in the same discussion as the guy who just had arguably the single best season at QB in Wake history.

Decision making will define his season. Wolford was VERY GOOD at making the right call when running the RPO. I hope Hinton has an even better season than Wolford this year but he has a lot to prove on the field.

Last edited:
That‘s the whole point. The people who are not Hinton believers today are saying that he NEEDS to make the same leap. I sincerely hope he does. But if he doesn‘t, we will take a step back next year.

Everybody is saying Hinton needs to make the leap Wolford did. The difference is some people believe he can and others are more skeptical or just don’t believe at all.

Creamy, Wolford wasn’t as accurate as Wolford. Why can’t Hinton be accurate too?

Everybody is saying Hinton needs to make the leap Wolford did. The difference is some people believe he can and others are more skeptical or just don’t believe at all.

Creamy, Wolford wasn’t as accurate as Wolford. Why can’t Hinton be accurate too?

I think Hinton can have an incredible final couple years at Wake. It’s just not very common to see the leap we saw with Wolford. I’ll remain cautiously optimistic that Hinton has the “It factor”.

I think Hinton can have an incredible final couple years at Wake. It’s just not very common to see the leap we saw with Wolford. I’ll remain cautiously optimistic that Hinton has the “It factor”.

Wolford is a tough kid, and a great player, but the leap was the whole offense. Especially OL and WR.

I hope he ends up being better than Wolford. Time will tell. Either way, we are in a great position to match or grow on this seasons success.

Wolford is a tough kid, and a great player, but the leap was the whole offense. Especially OL and WR.

There’s also a lot to be said for leadership, high IQ, decision making and other intangibles. Wolford had those intangibles. I’m not saying Hinton doesn’t have them, but we will have to wait and see. Too small of sanple size to make any claims Hinton will be as good as Wolford.

There’s also a lot to be said for leadership, high IQ, decision making and other intangibles. Wolford had those intangibles. I’m not saying Hinton doesn’t have them, but we will have to wait and see. Too small of sanple size to make any claims Hinton will be as good as Wolford.

Why wouldn’t you expect him to have those things?

Why wouldn’t you expect him to have those things?

Didn’t say that anywhere. Not sure where you’re getting at.

Hinton has shown that he can play some ball. He hasn’t had to be a team leader yet. Some kids have it, some don’t. I really hope he does because if so, he could have an incredible career like I mentioned earlier.

John Wolford showed by his play in spring and summer 2017 that he was the guy to play in fall 2017. And he played at a very high level. Kendall Hinton is the heir apparent to Wolford. He now has nine months to show that he is the guy to play in fall 2018. The coaches will pick the 2018 QB based on "which guy gives us the best chance to win the games."

The measuring stick for success/failure next year will be the year John Wolford just had. That is a pretty high bar.

Back