• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

I hope he ends up being better than Wolford. Time will tell. Either way, we are in a great position to match or grow on this seasons success.

Surpassing Wolford is probably impossible, at least in terms of records. John was responsible for 78 TDs in his career...13 more than the guy in 2nd place, Riley Skinner.

But, I suppose the single season record is attainable: 39, by John.

2018 Wake Forest Football Recruiting

The fucking GOAT of 4-4 ACC teams who lost to Duke. Cool.

Apparently I picked on the wrong Wellman fluffer.

You seem so miserable it’s kind of sad. I’m sure most could read that comment and realize it’s a joke but no - not Brasky!! And I’m in no way, shape, or form a Wellman fluffer but keep doing you man

Last edited:
Surpassing Wolford is probably impossible, at least in terms of records. John was responsible for 78 TDs in his career...13 more than the guy in 2nd place, Riley Skinner.

But, I suppose the single season record is attainable: 39, by John.

Wolford's stats this season were amazing. If Wake had managed to win the two additional games that were winnable (FSU and Duke) he might have gotten some mentions in the Heisman talk.

I think 39 is attainable with a full season of our skill position players especially of a TE emerges or Clawson goes all in with a 4 WR package with Dortch and Hines.

I think we will do well with Hinton or whoever else emerges. My concern with Hinton is passing accuracy when everybody on the field knows it is a passing down. Hinton runs to set up his passing. Wofford mostly set up his runs with his passing. They have different skill sets. If I am picking QB's, I want the most consistently accurate guy over any other skill. We have the O-line and the receiving core now for someone who can make all of the throws. I cannot say Hinton does or does not have the passing skills. He has not really had a chance to exhibit them. His results on true passing downs are mixed at best. I do think he throws a good deep ball. However, I am a little worried that he will be like the GaT QB's who have decent passing stats because defenses are so concerned about the run. It gives them bigger passing windows on manageable down and distances, but puts them at a disadvantage on obvious passing situations.

How hard can it be for Hinton? Five ways to get the ball to Dortch. The end.

How hard can it be for Hinton? Five ways to get the ball to Dortch. The end.

Scotty Washington should be a big part of the pass game as well. At 6'5" he is a nightmare for corners to guard. And he has learned to run routes and catch in the last few years. See his highlight reel catch from the bowl game.

We don't have to wonder how Hinton will do. He is not an unkown quantity. This year he played the entire game against the toughest defense we faced by far and did well. he also played against Presby and other mop up duty. How did he do with the same tools Wolford had this year? He was a little less accurate at 57% to 64% but his QB rating was nearly identical to Wolfords at 156.8 to 158. Both of which led the league (if Hinton had been eligible). Based on those statistics and his leadership against FSU and Army earlier in his career leads me to believe that he will have as good or better year than Wolford next year barring injuries.

Exactly. Good post, Neuro.

Scotty Washington should be a big part of the pass game as well. At 6'5" he is a nightmare for corners to guard. And he has learned to run routes and catch in the last few years. See his highlight reel catch from the bowl game.

The improvement that Washington made this year was amazing. He just wasn't physically ready last year, and despite being 6'5", he played like we was 5'6". He couldn't go up to get balls and let smaller defenders play through him. The second half of this season he became a legit mismatch, showed the ability to get open, and started catching the ball away from his body with his hands. You have to assume that he will continue to get stronger and more explosive. If so, he could really be a special WR. And the perfect compliment to a player like Dortch.

My totally uninformed opinion on the offense is that Hinton will make our running game a little more dynamic and explosive, especially with the OL having another year of experience/strength and all RBs coming back. My gut says that he won't be the passer that Wolford was when the offense really took off this year; however, I think the WRs and our OL will be better, so hopefully there want be much of a drop-off in the passing game.

I really don't understand the disdain for Hinton from some of you.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I haven’t read any disdain toward Hinton from anyone here. Just because a lot of folks, myself included, aren’t ready to anoint him the next Wolford, doesn’t mean we aren’t giving the guy a chance.

Our 2018 QB situation will work itself out. I am all aboard the Hinton train and hope he comes out as the best QB to ever suit up for us, but he hasn’t given us enough to make a true judgment call. At the end of the day, he’s had 2 years to take the job from Wolford and didn’t. Clawson isn’t just going to play the upperclassman, he’s gping to play the guy who gives us the best chance to win games.

No disdain here. I like him. Some folks are saying they expect the same or better year than one of our best Qb seasons in school history. Others are saying to pump the brakes on that talk.

I really don't understand the disdain for Hinton from some of you.

I'm excited for Hinton to have his shot. He has paid his dues and has had the opportunity to learn the offense well. I expect that he will do well. However, it would be unfair to expect him to match Wolford's season. 39 TDs in 13 games. That is crazy good.

No disdain here. I like him. Some folks are saying they expect the same or better year than one of our best Qb seasons in school history. Others are saying to pump the brakes on that talk.

Then what’s with the “Ph will dePHend post?”

If you’re fine with Hinton why mock people who are confident in him?

Technically Hinton did take the job away from Wolford last season, and then he got hurt. To me, staying healthy may be the biggest question about Hinton, especially as much as we expect him to run. I'll be pleasantly surprised if we only play one QB next season (outside of mop-up duty).

Back