• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Looking back at the 2018 roster, you really see how gutsy that call was by Clawson to start Hartman over Newman when Hinton, the presumptive starter, got suspended. I would love to go back and at some of the threads on the board from then. And you are right, Clawson has said that this is an open competition, and they wanted to give Jeremy a chance to compete for the job right away, which is why they only looked at transfers with one year of eligibility. But when you compare that to what Clawson said about Hank, he wanted someone with alot of in game experience, and someone with demonstrated success playing against live competition at the collegiate level, it sounds to me like Kern and Hank will have a leg up on the starting job.
Wasn't Newman injured and that's why Hartman was the starter?

Wasn't Newman injured and that's why Hartman was the starter?
Yes: Pulled his groin in the last scrimmage of fall camp.

Until then, I'd say it was a coin flip as to which one would've won the job.

Hecklinski could be great, but we won't see it this year, and we really won't know what to expect from him next year when Kern and Bachmeir are gone. Wolford and Hartman both had a couple tough season before they really flourished. Both guys were thrust into situations due to lack of depth above them.

I am not saying Clawson hasn't learned, I am saying he made a specific choice in what he looked for this season in a transfer QB. If Clawson was serious about bringing in competition, he would have brought in someone with more years of eligibility. He made a point to only go after guys with 1 year, he said specifically that is what he was looking for. If he was all about the development of his quarterbacks, why not go after guys he can work with for years, unless he is already sold on someone?
It’s possible all Clawson could get in the portal is what he got. There’d be no reason to suggest he was looking for anything else.

It’s possible all Clawson could get in the portal is what he got. There’d be no reason to suggest he was looking for anything else.
Here is a quote from Clawson about what he was looking for

Entering his sixth season of college football after stops at Boise State and Louisiana Tech, Hank Bachmeier will be 25 when he suits up for Wake Forest in the fall. He was a very specific type of quarterback Clawson and company were looking for in the portal.

“We wanted somebody that was a one-year player,” Clawson said. “The second thing is, we wanted somebody who had played a lot in games, who had a lot of game experience. I just think, sometimes, what you get in practice isn’t what you get in a game…We wanted somebody that had game experience, that had a proven ability in a football game against live competition that had had success.”

“By getting a one-year guy, we were getting somebody who is older, experienced, mature.”

If Clawson loved us and wanted us to be happy, he would be doing a full court press on Will Rogers right now, who just decommitted from UW. Offer to change the name of the school to Will Forest for a year, whatever it takes. He should ask Forbes and Walter, how do they recruit stud transfers to Wake.

Here is a quote from Clawson about what he was looking for

If Clawson loved us and wanted us to be happy, he would be doing a full court press on Will Rogers right now, who just decommitted from UW. Offer to change the name of the school to Will Forest for a year, whatever it takes. He should ask Forbes and Walter, how do they recruit stud transfers to Wake.
Right those are comments after he got who we got. I’m sure he would have fallen all over himself for Will Rogers or the kid from UNLV that threw for 8 million yards.

Typically, WF and all teams lose a player or two after Spring practice when it becomes clear he is not in the plans in the Fall.

There’s also another transfer period. Maybe Clawson already knows some other people that are going to use that.
It is interesting that after this past season Clawson commented, that he probably should have used a scholarship on a lineman in the portal rather than one out of high school, and now, when we lose 3 of our top 5 WRs to the portal, Clawson does not get one out of the portal, but instead uses a scholarship on one from HS. Considering there are still ready to play Grad transfers WRs in the portal like Dante Cephas, its not like the portal is devoid of talent.

It is interesting that after this past season Clawson commented, that he probably should have used a scholarship on a lineman in the portal rather than one out of high school, and now, when we lose 3 of our top 5 WRs to the portal, Clawson does not get one out of the portal, but instead uses a scholarship on one from HS. Considering there are still ready to play Grad transfers WRs in the portal like Dante Cephas, its not like the portal is devoid of talent.
I fear he is not learning from the past.

Understand that WF is still looking to add either a receiver or an OL. If Greene is healthy, feel good about the WF group as is, but the more talent the better. Then again, felt great about WF's receivers going into last season, and while that group was far from the biggest problem with the offense, the receivers underwhelmed.

Just looking at our roster, my top priority would be a Safety. Not sure if we are tracking any.

Otherwise we are hoping that both of last year's true freshmen (Tongue and Patterson) make a massive leap and/or Slocum/Anderson hold down those spots. Either way, I wouldn't be comfortable with that as the starting point.

IIRC, Clawson has said that safety would be a spot where a true frosh might play next year.

Pretty common to lose a player or two after Spring practice.

IIRC, Clawson has said that safety would be a spot where a true frosh might play next year.
That would be unusual and interesting if we have that level talent.

Historically that has not gone well for us, at least in the season we are forced to play true freshmen in football. The Andrew Luck torching of a bad D that had a bunch of guys that shouldn’t be playing a lot yet sticks in my mind. But if there’s talent there it could bode well for 2025 and beyond.

I fear he is not learning from the past.
Its been pretty fascinating to see what Vandy has been able to pull from the portal as a bottom of the league team with high academic requirements. They have lost a couple guys to some bigger programs, but they seemed to be able to replace them with some seniors as well as interesting young prospects. Bringing in Jerry Kill as "chief consultant to the head coach" was also a pretty savvy move, as he has shown an ability to win at programs that didn't have a ton of resources, and it also was able to lure some transfers as well. Sometimes an outside set of eyes can be beneficial to a coaching staff that has been together for a couple years.

Last edited:
This isn’t entirely true. WF can recruit them. They just would still have to complete 60 hours of coursework at Wake to graduate with a Wake undergrad degree. Given how many people stay 5-6 years, this shouldn’t be as big of an impediment as people are making it. It’s not like the random hours towards a Liberal Studies Masters mean very much for a grad transfer coming for one semester.
I agree because Forbes & Walter are making hay in the portal, yet Clawson doesn’t want to, sonewhat like Dabo???

Back