• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest vs. Louisville Game Thread - Sunday. 8PM ESPNU

Everybody on the court had a bad last few minutes. Hard to pin the loss on any one player.

Hey, we were in the game when most of this board was convinced we'd get blown out. Progress.

Manning game planned brilliantly. Pitino was out coached. Our fast break offense was the difference maker for us and gave us a real chance to steal that game. The press was very ineffective.

Meh I don't feel good about it. We aren't coached by Jeff BzDonk any more. No more moral victories.

Incorrect. Wilbekin forces the defense to guard him on the perimeter. Even if he doesn't make a shot everyone else has more room to move because they can't leave him.

Louisville was just leaving CMM with a 5 foot cushion knowing he couldn't make it. In addition Wilbekin knows what he can't do and doesn't try to do anything outside his abilities. CMM is in the tough spot of trying to figure out how to be a role player. It is a very difficult transition.

I like CMM, but he killed us tonight. The tape will not be kind.

But Wilbekin can create nothing. Codi can still create a bit. He only took two bad shots that I remember. Mitch took two shots, had no assists, did nothing on defense or the fast break. He helped against the press, but no more than Codi did.

How many times does it take before we learn that we are not a three point shooting team. We have shot ourselves in the foot too many times not to learn that we need to work inside out and kick and throw out of we are going to shoot a three. We play great ball and then fall into the three ball hole. The best three point shot is when we go inside and then kick out to Dino in the corner for a three-- not our guards just jacking up a three. I know we were terrible at the free throw line, but I really get tired of seeing the wrong player shooting the wrong shot at the wrong time!

CMM was great on the break? I must have been watching the wrong game.

Fair point. I guess I mean he did a good job pushing the ball - seemed like he was the first guy out on a lot of breaks that resulted in easy baskets. As poorly as he's been offensively, he just put up excellent back-to-back defensive performances against Lee and Simmons.

If he can just accept his role as defensive stopper and slasher/rebounder on offense, we'll be all set. If he takes another 3 like that to lose us a game he should sit the next game entirely. Brutal shot. A tenth of a second after it left his hand the entire Wake fanbase knew we'd just lost the game.

Free throws and second chance points both killed us tonight. I counted at least 14 second chance points. 12 in the first half, so at least we cleaned up that part of our game in the second half.

Not to be lost in the chagrin over free throws was our putrid defensive effort (using that term loosely) to start the game. Louisville scored on 8 of their first 9 possessions, 3 of them on offensive rebounds, to put us in a 7-point hole and force us to play catch-up all night. The defense improved markedly as the game went along, but the first 6 minutes cost us.

Nonetheless, it's an Ish-Teague scenario where the return of the older guard has failed to improve the team.

But Wilbekin can create nothing. Codi can still create a bit. He only took two bad shots that I remember. Mitch took two shots, had no assists, did nothing on defense or the fast break. He helped against the press, but no more than Codi did.

Codi is terrible and should only play six minutes a game. He should never shoot a jumper. Ever. Dinos missing the front end of the one and one when we were down two crushed my soul. We played such a good game and really could have won. I will say that is so nice to be excited about Wake basketball again. I really think we have the ability and coaching to beat anyone this year.

Going to have to learn to love having our guts stomped on again. We're on the verge of being legitimately good.

Manning game planned brilliantly. Pitino was out coached. Our fast break offense was the difference maker for us and gave us a real chance to steal that game. The press was very ineffective.

I wanted to ask you about this & Manning in general... we seem to be WAY more prepared and have a specific strategy against each good team we have played so far.

It worked against LSU and gave us a chance tonight.

Maybe that's coaching 101 but I feel like we never did this even when we were good 5+ seasons ago.

Not to be lost in the chagrin over free throws was our putrid defensive effort (using that term loosely) to start the game. Louisville scored on 8 of their first 9 possessions, 3 of them on offensive rebounds, to put us in a 7-point hole and force us to play catch-up all night. The defense improved markedly as the game went along, but the first 6 minutes cost us.

It was bad and our rebounding was bad, but it also seemed to somewhat a result of Louisville's unsustainable energy early in the game. Much less frenzy in the last 25 minutes.

We were in it until the end while doing a ton of stupid shit on both ends for pretty much the entire game. If this group ever actually puts it together, we're going to beat the shit out of some people. The only question is whether that will ever happen.

Nonetheless, it's an Ish-Teague scenario where the return of the older guard has failed to improve the team.

Just because we lost doesn't mean we aren't better with CMM. I think we definitely are. That 3 attempt with 15 seconds left was a very bad decision and hurt us. We are still better with him. There are other players that aren't as good who will see more PT if CMM isn't available.

Most of Louisville's buckets the first 10 minutes were on drives right at Dinos. Or postups, like the facial Onuaku put on him.

The layup that gave them the 4 point lead late - a drive right at Dinos.

Then, Dinos blows the 1 and 1 and he is "supposed to be" a good FT shooter. Watching him shoot FT's against LSU (miss FT's) and then miss FT against Louisville - his shot is a line drive - he's not that good right now at making FT's. Shooting, yes, but making, no.

Other options alongside Devin: Collins is playing like a freshman. Crab is too small/skinny. McClinton...no.

So, Dinos makes a bunch of threes - we win. If not - we lose.

Also, Crawford has to make that runner late and Devin cannot (he is a senior) fire that bounce pass at Crawford's shins (turnover) late. Basic non-winning plays.

We are CLOSE, but the 4 spot is an issue right now.

Dinos played 30 minutes at the 4 and Collins played 10. They defended Onuaku and Stockman who combined for 40 minutes. Our guys put up 15 points, 11 boards, and our starter had a double double. Their guys put up 12 and 16.

The low points for Dinos might make for nice posters, and the 1 and 1 was a critical miss - but the 4 spot isn't what lost that game. Our 2/3 spots put up 5 points total from our starters and their subs (Watson/Hudson/McClinton) didn't pick up the slack.

Crawford was ridiculous across the board... minus the line. 0 for 5 from the line was pretty brutal (and will probably never happen again in his lifetime).

Most of Louisville's buckets the first 10 minutes were on drives right at Dinos. Or postups, like the facial Onuaku put on him.

The layup that gave them the 4 point lead late - a drive right at Dinos.

Then, Dinos blows the 1 and 1 and he is "supposed to be" a good FT shooter. Watching him shoot FT's against LSU (miss FT's) and then miss FT against Louisville - his shot is a line drive - he's not that good right now at making FT's. Shooting, yes, but making, no.

Other options alongside Devin: Collins is playing like a freshman. Crab is too small/skinny. McClinton...no.

So, Dinos makes a bunch of threes - we win. If not - we lose.

Also, Crawford has to make that runner late and Devin cannot (he is a senior) fire that bounce pass at Crawford's shins (turnover) late. Basic non-winning plays.

We are CLOSE, but the 4 spot is an issue right now.

WTF does that mean??

Back