• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest's own Tommy Elrod caught leaking football information to other teams

FWIW, when Clawson took over the word from Elrod (IIRC) was that he was thinking about getting out of coaching and either didn't pursue a job with Clawson or didn't pursue any other jobs once the radio gig popped up. I was left with the impression that getting "passed over" wouldn't have pissed Elrod off.

So a guy just called in to Rock 92 and said that Elrod and an opposing coach met at an Applebee's (not clear if it was in WS or out-of-town) and some WF football info was written on a napkin and someone turned it over to the AD.

Now, I realize this guy could be and probably is FOS and that Rock 92 isn't exactly a great source of information, but has anyone heard this.

Personally, I can't picture Elrod at an Applebee's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hahahahaha!! Those guys are funny as hell.

Can totally picture that going down on 2 guys named Chris...bet it went immediately to ""why applebees?"

Countdown to Elrod's enrollment in gamblers anonymous. Gonna be the addiction thing. 12 step program. He's a victim. I give it less than a week.

Great call on XM college sports from a Deacon club member really made some great points and had some good information!!!

Hahahahaha!! Those guys are funny as hell.

Yeah, they got in plenty of Wake football digs but it was a caller who made the comment about Applebee's.

To correct what I first posted- info wasn't on napkin, it was written on paper and just left behind.

Sounds a little far fetched to me, but so does Tom Elrod giving Wake Forest football info to opposing teams. What a douche.

FWIW, when Clawson took over the word from Elrod (IIRC) was that he was thinking about getting out of coaching and either didn't pursue a job with Clawson or didn't pursue any other jobs once the radio gig popped up. I was left with the impression that getting "passed over" wouldn't have pissed Elrod off.

I heard that Elrod decided to get out of coaching after he was passed over by Clawson. Wellman felt bad since Elrod is a Wake guy and made it right by hooking him up with IMG and the financial gig.

Commercial break now they just replayed the interview with that asshat Patrino, from November. He might not have any knowledge about what happened. Hell maybe it was an exchange of information with Louisville since we looked so good for the first half?? I know that is a stretch but just how far does this go?? Let us make no bones about it, our offense has been lacking for quite sometime. Do we really think our opponents had men in trench coats waiting at the bar of diners in each town associated with the colleges for the chance to obtain a manilla envelope which contained our plays drawn with number 10 Crayola Crayons?? What if Tommy Boy is Wellman's fall guy and he is now living on the island owned by Wellman right next door to Buzz??

And Yet Wellman continues to get 7 figures.
All this stuff has happen under Wellman, I think Wellman should resign. Blamed Gaudio and culture for the worst baskeball hire in Wake history and saw an 8 year nose dive in football. I wouldn't be surprised to hear this scandal to blame for any wake problems the next three years. I can hear it now at the next Deacon Club road show. Wellman will say " We would have been competing for Acc championships 3 years ago but coach Clawson had to start from scratch on all his playing calling on both sides of the ball so our rebuilding has taken years longer than we thought, give us four more years,we continue to do things the "Right way" and I have now been able to collect 10 of millions in compensation!

I heard that Elrod decided to get out of coaching after he was passed over by Clawson. Wellman felt bad since Elrod is a Wake guy and made it right by hooking him up with IMG and the financial gig.

Add that to the list of great wellman decisions

Just had an interesting story on Elrod after the Tulane game and how negative he was.

probably one of the few games he didn't collude with the opposition. Probably pissed him off that we didn't cover and that caused him to lose big money.

This dude bends his Alma Mater over and some here go after Wellman. Stop it.

Details really aren't your thing, huh?? Hahaha!!

Dude I'm at work, basically said talked to Elrod after Tulane game and he was unusually bashing the staff and how we were going to lose to Duke the next week. Said Elrod thought we would only win one more game the whole year. Just said the whole conversation was unusually strange on the negative front.

As much as we all despise Ron, we can't fault him on this one. How was he supposed to know the guy was freaking Judas?

This. Though it may not be popular here, it certainly looks like Wake Forest (specifically Ron Wellman) did everything in their power to help the Elrod family, both with the day job and the weekend gig. I think Ron has done everything I would hope any WF A.D. would have done w/r/to this situation. Whatever place Tommy went to after his loss led him here. I can't imagine what it must be like to be him right now. As twisted as his conduct was, his mindset was bad enough to lead him to act on this idea. I feel genuinely sorry for him.

Dude I'm at work, basically said talked to Elrod after Tulane game and he was unusually bashing the staff and how we were going to lose to Duke the next week. Said Elrod thought we would only win one more game the whole year. Just said the whole conversation was unusually strange on the negative front.

My bad man, I'm sick at home. From what others were saying here earlier, he would say something out of the way about coaching during broadcasts also. Yeah you don't really get the feel that he was cheering this staff or these players.

Back