• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest's Tabb facing criminal charges

Actually DC, it's not like that. Here's how it should be if you want a clean, quality, classy program.

A kid comes into the program and messes up, he is suspended (for the first time) during the season. That's the kid's warning, his chance to get everything straightened out and in line. When he fails to do that, he should be gone. Set a standard for future recruits so that it doesn't happen again and again. He had his chance. He knew coming to Wake wouldn't be easy. Why let him hang around again until he does something stupid like committing fraud or breaking and entering? If you want a classy program, there's no begging a kid to stay after messing up repeatedly. People who want a clean program shouldn't have a problem with kicking a player off the team for repeated offenses, especially young kids who have multiple offenses in the same year. Giving someone three strikes leads to situations like these.

I disagree. His previous transgressions were academic, attitude, and effort related, if we are to believe what we've been told. Those things aren't wonderful, but they aren't predictors for B&E. They are things that, you'd hope, a kid grows up and learns from. I don't have a problem with the timing of the dismissal.

Tabb was not a ACC caliber basketball player so I don't see the downside to him leaving. I remember seeing his 'highlight' reels on YouTube wondering how those could be the best moments of his HS days. Kid simply wasn't very good.

Actually DC, it's not like that. Here's how it should be if you want a clean, quality, classy program.

A kid comes into the program and messes up, he is suspended (for the first time) during the season. That's the kid's warning, his chance to get everything straightened out and in line. When he fails to do that, he should be gone. Set a standard for future recruits so that it doesn't happen again and again. He had his chance. He knew coming to Wake wouldn't be easy. Why let him hang around again until he does something stupid like committing fraud or breaking and entering? If you want a classy program, there's no begging a kid to stay after messing up repeatedly. People who want a clean program shouldn't have a problem with kicking a player off the team for repeated offenses, especially young kids who have multiple offenses in the same year. Giving someone three strikes leads to situations like these.

Am I missing something? Isn't this exactly what happened with Tabb? Didn't he have academic problems, was suspended and got a warning, was given a 2nd chance, and this infraction landed him on the "suspended indefinitely" bandwagon which basically meant he's outta here?

[Redacted]'s response makes it pretty obvious that he's been toast as a basketball player for quite a while, and the official release from the University pending the investigation or whatever was going on wasn't on his radar.

anyone else laugh at this line:

Coach Jeff [Redacted] said Tabb has been released from Wake Forest.

"I don't exactly when it was but it was a few days ago," [Redacted] said of Tabb's release.

Translation: I don't know and I don't care. Just GTFO.

Nice to know that the presumption of innocence is alive and well at WFU. Even if Tabb is ultimately found guilty/pleads guilty - [Redacted] really needs to start employing a "No comment/Next question" mentality. He has absolutely no ability to handle the media. I'm not defending Tabb, he had plenty of chances, but every time I read a quote from Coach [Redacted] I question his ability to relate to/coach-up our student-athletes.

Nice to know that the presumption of innocence is alive and well at WFU. Even if Tabb is ultimately found guilty/pleads guilty - [Redacted] really needs to start employing a "No comment/Next question" mentality. He has absolutely no ability to handle the media. I'm not defending Tabb, he had plenty of chances, but every time I read a quote from Coach [Redacted] I question his ability to relate to/coach-up our student-athletes.

The presumption of innocence has no bearing on this situation. Jusat getting into trouble at this point was the tipping point for Tabb.

It never ceases to amaze me the lengths many posters go to in order to slam [Redacted].

I'm not sure what will shake with [Redacted], but some here are ridiculous.

I always questioned the ability of Skip's coaching not to mention his recruiting prowess. He used GDO's players well in the beginning, got CP3 for 2 years and made a banner haning career from nothing he did well. CP3 did it well & JHo did it well, but not Skip.

Yet he did recruit the best recruiting classes in Wake Forest history with Big E, Strickland, Gray & Ellis followed up later by the vaunted A T & T class. Dino learned well from his mentor w/ Tabb, Chenault, Clark, et al.

Oh well, wait till next year when we get the next class in as they really do look promising--CMM, Washington et al

Skip thought as little of Reff as Reff thinks of him.

This was entirely predictable....when you get away from recruiting 4-year student-athletes and turn the program into a pre-NBA semi-pro team.

Yeah because Tabb was clearly that kind of recruit. Wait, no he wasn't at all.

Don't let me rain on your NBA-bashing parade though. Those damn hooligans.

Like I said on the original thread, Tabb and Walker were stealing stuff from people in Taylor dorm and pawning it.

That also doesn't square with some of BabyDeac's comments about the situation. I thought he said it was "juvenile" but not "criminal" and maybe not kicked-off-team worthy. But I could be wrong.

Back