• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest's Tabb facing criminal charges

Any NC defense attorneys out there?

What are the sentencing guidelines for felony breaking and entering for a first offense? Is there any min/man time associated?

Don't know about the min time, but if he does any time, there's likely to be some man time.

5-6 months with no aggravating or mitigating circumstance as I'm pretty sure it's Class H, but could be remembering incorrectly? I don't think there's any minimum time associated, the max should be 8 to 10 months. A plea would certainly avoid jail time I would think, maybe a year or two probation?

Bingo. I am a Probation officer in North Carolina and I can say this is most certainly the case. I always tell people just because a person is charged with a felony doesn't mean jail time is automatic even in a B&E case or something along those lines. It often sounds bad and certainly it's never good to get a felony conviction but there is little to no chance Tabb gets any active time.

Depending on his record, he'll probably get a deferred prosecution which will require probation with some community service, etc. with the incentive that if he completes it successfully all charges will be dismissed.

Tabb was not a ACC caliber basketball player so I don't see the downside to him leaving. I remember seeing his 'highlight' reels on YouTube wondering how those could be the best moments of his HS days. Kid simply wasn't very good.

I'm no scout, but I saw him play a couple of times in high school and was never impressed. He certainly didn't stand out, even on his own team.

Not true, plenty love basketball. Not many love bad basketball.

You have a Cub as your avatar. If you are really a Cub fan you understand you support the team win or lose.

That's what a FAN does.

People who come out only if a team is winning are posers.

Most sports fans aren't diehards, rj. That is the reality that we are faced with.

I can still be a die-hard fan while not enjoying the quality of basketball we are playing.

To think we said his name and Rodney Rogers's name in the same breath.
SMH

Whomever said this... we have now found our Lectro, Basketball Version.

Oh, and this national embarrassment that is the Melvin Tabb case is not even mentioned on the CBB pages of ESPN, CBSSports, or Spotring News.

At least we know now why Dino had to go. Still don't like the buzz hire, but it looks like Wellman was trying to stop the bleeding before we turned into FSU north (or UNC West).

You have a Cub as your avatar. If you are really a Cub fan you understand you support the team win or lose.

That's what a FAN does.

People who come out only if a team is winning are posers.

I consider myself a die hard fan, but I'm not going to break my neck to watch a game that we have no chance of winning. I'll pull for them to win every game and watch when I can, but why spend all that effort and $$ to watch a team that isn't putting in the effort on or off the court?

It used to be a theft of a minimum of $1500 to be a felony. That was in 2000, not sure if it has changed.

At least we know now why Dino had to go. Still don't like the buzz hire, but it looks like Wellman was trying to stop the bleeding before we turned into FSU north (or UNC West).

No it doesn't. The whole culture thing is a smoke screen that we heard nothing about until Wellman missed on his top choices and had to try to explain why he hired [Redacted].

This kind of stuff isn't foreseeable.

No it doesn't. The whole culture thing is a smoke screen that we heard nothing about until Wellman missed on his top choices and had to try to explain why he hired [Redacted].

This kind of stuff isn't foreseeable.

If it isn't foreseeable, how come some schools have these same issues year after year, while others rarely have them? The tone at the top in recruiting and player development clearly creates a situation where you are more or less likely to have these type of issues. Wellman let Dino go as a result of all the issues known and unknown with his recruits / players. We didn't believe it because we hadn't seen many of these issues about 3 am hookups the night before a NCAA game, Tony Woods, Tabb, etc, but Wellman clearly knew. Although I didn't understand the firing at the time (I didn't mind it, just didn't understand the timing), in hindsight, this is clearly the culture Wellman was trying to change away from.

Step 2 is the one that I still don't understand. Clearly, wanting to change the culture was a high priority in the new hire, I just wish he could have found one who was also a good coach and effective communicator. IMO, The jury is still out on that one, but it isn't looking good.

There is a big jump from getting a blowjob at 3am to stealing shit from your fellow students. They aren't even in the same galaxy as one another.

Our basketball team may not have been playing well in recent years, but at least we are getting a lot of national exposure. How many teams make the Today Show for players getting blowjobs at 3 AM while they are playing in the NCAA Tournament? Or for having one of its players assault the mother of his baby? Or for having players kicked off the team for stealing from their fellow students? Yessir, you can't just go out and BUY that kind of pub!

please quit on wake forest again. quit, go the hell away and live in your fantasy land of liberal utopia with whites executing fundamental bounce passes and set shots

please quit on wake forest again. quit, go the hell away and live in your fantasy land of liberal utopia with whites executing fundamental bounce passes and set shots

Peach Baskets FTW!!!!!!

peach.jpg

images

If it isn't foreseeable, how come some schools have these same issues year after year, while others rarely have them? The tone at the top in recruiting and player development clearly creates a situation where you are more or less likely to have these type of issues. Wellman let Dino go as a result of all the issues known and unknown with his recruits / players. We didn't believe it because we hadn't seen many of these issues about 3 am hookups the night before a NCAA game, Tony Woods, Tabb, etc, but Wellman clearly knew. Although I didn't understand the firing at the time (I didn't mind it, just didn't understand the timing), in hindsight, this is clearly the culture Wellman was trying to change away from.

Step 2 is the one that I still don't understand. Clearly, wanting to change the culture was a high priority in the new hire, I just wish he could have found one who was also a good coach and effective communicator. IMO, The jury is still out on that one, but it isn't looking good.

Not buying it for a minute. Only Tabb was recruited by Dino while he was head coach. Tony Woods, Ty Walker, and Gary Clark were Skip Prosser recruits. Did we have a culture problem under Skip's watch too? Or is it that Dino couldn't manage the players he had? Of course that argument doesn't really work given that three of the four issues arose under [Redacted]'s watch.

Are you really telling me that the Gary Clark and Tony Woods incidents could be anticipated or prevented by the head basketball coach? Tabb seems to simply be a bad seed, but he wasn't enrolled when Dino was fired, and Wellman took no issue with [Redacted] re-recruiting him. Same goes for Ty Walker, but [Redacted] hasn't exactly treated him with a "my way or the highway" type approach.

It's very plain and simple what happened. Wellman made the ballsy move to fire Dino despite the regular season performance of his teams due to the poor post season performance. I applaud this decision. The way he went about it, however, resulted in us being unable to find a new hire with the kind of resume people were expecting. So he invented this culture stuff in order to explain it all. It's a lame excuse that he had to make because he did a piss poor job of managing Wake's most important program so don't let him off the hook. Hopefully the appointment of Childress means that Wellman is back on track.

How can you look at everything that has happened recently and say that Wellman "invented" the culture issue?

I get that it's hard to blame anyone fully. Prosser recruits, Dino recruits, Dino's leadership, [Redacted]'s invasive approach...

But the fact that Wake has been dragged through the mud nationally 3 times in the past year at a minimum makes it pretty clear there were some deep problems - certainly no inventing needed. The only thing I actually do like about the [Redacted] hire is that he runs clean programs and recruits the kind of guys I want to see wearing a Wake jersey, not guys who are going to steal shit from campus dorm rooms.

I would have preferred a top tier coach with the same reputation that actually wins basketball games, but oh well.

DC, culture wasn't referenced when Dino was fired. It was referenced when [Redacted] was hired.

Mike Patrick and Len Elmore were given the talking points to deliver this message.

The word culture is not spoken ONCE:

First of all, let me thank you for adjusting your schedules to be here today. I know late notification of a press conference can sometimes be problematic, and for you to make the effort to be here is much appreciated. The purpose of the conference today is to announce that I met with Dino Gaudio this afternoon and informed him that we would not be retaining him as our head basketball coach. On the surface, that looks like a very controversial and difficult decision, and in fact it was a very difficult decision. When you look at Dino's record, his overall record, his 60 and 31, I believe. His ACC record is over 500. He graduates his players. So it certainly appears to be a decision that was difficult, and I assure you that it was. The basis of the decision was our late season and post season performance. And we have just not performed up to the level that we expect our programs to perform. Last year at this time, I think, you'll recall that we talked about how we wanted to find a way to improve our late season performances. And, in fact, we did not meet that goal sufficiently. The last three years, in February and March, we have been 16 and 17. In March we've been 4 and 7. The ACC tournament, we've not had much success there, or any success the last three years and against the lower seeded teams, the teams that we were probably favored to win. The NCAA tournament, we certainly won or went to the NCAA tournament the last two years, which was great. But, of course, we ran into a No. 13 seed last year with a difficult result, and then this year had a good win against Texas and then the game against Kentucky. All in all, you look at every conceivable statistic that you can when making an evaluation like this, in comparing the regular season statistics up to February, and then after February there was a significant decline in every statistical category from February on. And even more significant after, in the post season, I should say. So to rectify that problem, there were a couple of avenues that were possibilities, of course, and that was trying to work with the current staff to rectify the problem, which we certainly did this last year, or to make a change and seek new direction. Obviously I have chosen the latter approach. Dino has done a very good job in many areas. And as I reflect upon his career at Wake Forest, he's been here for 10 years, and he handled as difficult a situation as could as there was in college basketball three years ago when he replaced Skip Prosser, his good friend and mentor. I stand by what I said that year, and that is that no one could have done a better job that year of combining honoring Skip and making the team his own. So I am very, very appreciative of the way Dino handled that and very appreciative of his years with us as an assistant coach and our head coach. But now it is time to move on. We will begin searching for a new head coach immediately. I have no idea how long that will take. It will be totally dependent upon the candidates' availability, what their schedules are, and how my schedule and their schedule matches up. But we will move quickly and this will receive, obviously, my undivided attention until the task is completed. Questions?

Last edited:
Back