• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Men's Soccer - Loses to JMU in Rd of 32

Erm, Lubahn's still around right? I could see him scoring an abundance of goals this year.

Erm, Lubahn's still around right? I could see him scoring an abundance of goals this year.

Lubahn is back...should be good. I think we will have alot more attacking options and have heard that Kovi (the transfer from St. Johns) and Okali could add to the attack. Our defense should be solid and tough to penetrate...of course the goalkeeper situation needs to be solidified...we'll see how it all comes together but this version of wake men's soccer could make some noise in the conference and nationally.

Not 2011 team related, but Goff said in his blog today that Michael Lahoud was called into the Sierra Leone team for ACON qualifying next month. Not sure yet if he takes it or holds out to be able to play for the US.

SoccerByIves Ives Galarcep
James Riley/John Legend trumps Landon Donovan/Andres Iniesta RT @jfuega: @JamesRiley7 bit.ly/h0DgQD ...I'm still skeptical

fyi...just posted:

Men’s Soccer to Open 2011 Campaign with Exhibition Match against Furman

Demon Deacons to face Paladins at 6 p.m. at Spry Stadium

Follow the Deacs on Twitter

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. – The 2011 Wake Forest men’s soccer team will get its first taste of intercollegiate competition when it hosts its first exhibition match of the 2011 season at Spry Stadium on Wednesday, August 17 against Furman at 6:00 p.m.

The Paladins are ranked 30th in the country in the 2011 College Soccer News preseason poll and figure to provide a tough scrimmage for the Deacs – ranked 25th in the same poll – as the regular season opener on Aug. 27 creeps closer. The Paladins went 10-7-2 a year ago and captured a share of the Southern Conference regular season title in 2010. The side returns nine starters, including all-conference goalkeeper Alec Kann and all-freshman selections Michael Gandier and Jacob Brown.

The Demon Deacons return eight regulars from last year's 8-9-2 squad, including a pair of All-ACC Second Team performers in junior defender Anthony Arena and junior forward Andy Lubahn. Lubahn led the Deacs in scoring as a sophomore in 2010 with eight goals and 16 points.

A trio of versatile midfield standouts in sophomores Kyle Emerson, Luca Gimenez – the Deacs' second-leading scorer in 2010 with five goals and 12 points – and Jared Watts come back to the squad after being named to the ACC All-Freshman Team in 2010. Midfielder Danny Wenzel will also join that group, as the mid and backline figure to be a team strength. Joining Arena to anchor the defense will be returning backs Danny Wenzel and Tolani Ibikunle.

The biggest question mark entering 2011 for the Deacs will be finding a suitable replacement for graduated All-ACC Second Team goalkeeper Akira Fitzgerald. Currently, juniors Michael Lisch and Doug Ryan project to compete for the bulk of the time between the sticks.

The Deacons also add reinforcements in a nine-member incoming class ranked eighth in the nation by College Soccer News. Teddy Mullin, Sean Okoli, Sam Fink, Andrew Malkiewicz, C.J. Williams, Matt Pacifici and Sean Wilkinson make up the 2011 incoming freshman class along with two transfers, Kovi Konowiecki and Alex Bramall – both from St. John’s (NY).

Wake Forest will compete in another preseason exhibition on the road Wednesday, Aug. 23 against Radford at 2:00 p.m. before the regular season commences with South Florida visiting Spry Stadium on Saturday, Aug. 27 for a 7:00 p.m. tilt.

I can't remember that last time Wake didn't play Furman in a preseason exhibition.

Who all is going to the game tonight? Please post game reports so those of us who can't be there can live vicariously through your experiences:thumbsup: Please...:D

I'll be there on the hill with my kids. Not sure I'll be able to post with a 4 year old in tow. Further, my analysis of the match would be severely lacking in depth/expertise!

Who all is going to the game tonight? Please post game reports so those of us who can't be there can live vicariously through your experiences:thumbsup: Please...:D

2-1 for the Deacs...they struggled in the first 20 mins and gave up a poor goal with a mistake trying to get the ball out of the back. JV made some changes and the lads looked better the latter part of the 1st half. We evened the score on a corner kick that went Mullin to Wenzel (who took a shot) and must have careened off Gimenez for the goal. JV took the Deacs into the locker room and must have taken a stick to them...they came out the 2nd half and scored on a good combination with a finish by Lubahn in the 1st 5 secs of the 2nd half. We had another good goal that was called back due to an offside.
The boys are much improved and it was a good start to the season...far ahead of last year:thumbsup:

Back