• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake/Pitt

The biggest crunch time weakness is our inability to get him the ball in key late game possessions. That and not playing defense.

Not really true minus the defense. Go back and watch end-game scenarios. We are pretty much always trying to get the ball to Collins. Refs tend to swallow their whistles down the stretch and when another big is fronting/pushing/boxing Collins he's struggled to get open. He's given up some tipped balls, settled for some missed jumpers... We've run the shot clock down to 5 seconds trying to get it to him, and he's definitely struggled from the line at times. Most of his best moments in close finishes are on offensive rebounds or tip-ins.

He didn't score in the last 2.5 minutes at Duke, didn't score in the last 5 minutes against Notre Dame, didn't score in the last 5 minutes vs Duke at home, didn't score and had some bad plays in the Clemson meltdown when they took a lead, and against UNC he closed out the final 6 minutes with 2 missed free throws, going 0/3 from the floor, and committing 2 turnovers.

It's not just our guards not trying to get him the ball.

By the way I believe Collins is tired. He was totally gassed down the stretch at Duke. Pitt was running guys at him and leaning on him all night, which is absolutely what I would do. He sat due to fouls but I believe the cumulative impact of 20/10 for 11 straight games is wearing him down. This is probably a big contributor to the 3 missed FT's down the stretch (although as stated he did still outwork seemingly all of Pitt for the game winner).

The break comes at a good time for him.

I agree. Could be a problem come ACCT play, but maybe not any more of a problem than teams like Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, Syracuse, Miami, Duke, Virginia Tech, and Georgia Tech will face given bottom 70 positions in the country in percentage of bench minutes.

ACCT is going to be fascinating.

Well we have a week off so he can rest up. Feels like the first time in forever in either football or bball where the bye actually happens when we need it.

Not really true minus the defense. Go back and watch end-game scenarios. We are pretty much always trying to get the ball to Collins. Refs tend to swallow their whistles down the stretch and when another big is fronting/pushing/boxing Collins he's struggled to get open. He's given up some tipped balls, settled for some missed jumpers... We've run the shot clock down to 5 seconds trying to get it to him, and he's definitely struggled from the line at times. Most of his best moments in close finishes are on offensive rebounds or tip-ins.

He didn't score in the last 2.5 minutes at Duke

It's not just our guards not trying to get him the ball.

well, he scored and an-1 with 3:00 left at Duke, and I don't believe he touched the ball again except for getting a defensive rebound. Our next few possessions:
Chill 3-point play
Chill forced 3
Crawford layup
Crawford missed layup - JC pushed in the back by Allen, obvious foul, no call
Crawford missed layup

so...yeah, we did not really look to get him the ball.

I agree. Could be a problem come ACCT play, but maybe not any more of a problem than teams like Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, Syracuse, Miami, Duke, Virginia Tech, and Georgia Tech will face given bottom 70 positions in the country in percentage of bench minutes.

ACCT is going to be fascinating.

Deacs expended A LOT of energy in the 2nd half to get back into the game.....certainly contributed to the missed FTs I would think

I didn't say the whole class was a complete dud. I said the class looks pretty bad. There is a decent chance BC turns into a mid-level starter and Sam turns into a rotational big. But I don't really see any ceiling for any player in the class to be a high level all-ACC level player. Even in the best development case.

So that is certainly a negative for a coach in a 4 player class, a few years in.

I agree that it sucks they aren't contributing this year but I completely disagree that SJM's ceiling is low. I think he has the potential to be a stud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well, he scored and an-1 with 3:00 left at Duke, and I don't believe he touched the ball again except for getting a defensive rebound. Our next few possessions:
Chill 3-point play
Chill forced 3
Crawford layup
Crawford missed layup - JC pushed in the back by Allen, obvious foul, no call
Crawford missed layup

so...yeah, we did not really look to get him the ball.

Just because other players ended up shooting, doesn't mean they didn't try to get Collins the ball before that. It's not like they would just keep trying until a shot clock violation occurred.

Oh I think we try to get him the ball late in games. We just have not been good doing so in some key late possessions in losses. Perhaps not trying hard enough.

Just because other players ended up shooting, doesn't mean they didn't try to get Collins the ball before that. It's not like they would just keep trying until a shot clock violation occurred.

Chill's forced 3 was a pull-up heat check 3. He did not try to get it inside.

For Crawford's first missed layup, that was discussed pretty thoroughly here. Collins had Allen guarding him. The opportunity was there early in the possession for Dinos to get him the ball pretty easily. Later, Crawford still had an opportunity.

DCDeac is saying Collins is struggling to get open, or missing shots, or turning the ball over late in games, and we're trying to get him the ball. Collins did none of those things at Duke. And, in fact, jacking up a three early in the shot clock is a very good example of not trying to get Collins the ball.

Rozelle Nix may be the largest human being I've ever seen in person. Jesus, that dude is a mountain.

He's got a weird shape though, all top-heavy. Or maybe his black leggings were slimming.

hqdefault.jpg

Nix-attacks.jpg

For Crawford's first missed layup, that was discussed pretty thoroughly here. Collins had Allen guarding him. The opportunity was there early in the possession for Dinos to get him the ball pretty easily. Later, Crawford still had an opportunity.

DCDeac is saying Collins is struggling to get open, or missing shots, or turning the ball over late in games, and we're trying to get him the ball. Collins did none of those things at Duke. And, in fact, jacking up a three early in the shot clock is a very good example of not trying to get Collins the ball.

Eh, I love Collins but he's not flawless. We absolutely tried to get him the ball down the stretch at Duke, and Amile Jefferson went 7/10 on him. Just watch the film - he struggled to get a solid post down the stretch. He's an amazing player but he's got a couple gaps in his game. One is interior defense and the other is posting up against physical or lanky defenders. He's crazy young and needs just a few more pounds of muscle to have his way with guys inside and ward guys off on entry passes. The latter issue tends to show up at the end of games. He's dominant in the pick and roll moving towards the basket. His jumper makes him elite as long as he's got his legs. His improvement in staying vertical through contact on defense is absurdly better than last year. There's no sugar-coating that he's struggled down the stretch in close games though. So have most of our guys.

On Crawford's layup against Duke, you are simply wrong. Craw made the RIGHT play. By the time he got the ball, there were about 7-8 second on the shot clock and Collins was not in position to get the ball from Craw. A lane opened and he took it.

Craw had set up a lane for JC to get a clean rebound if he missed. The ref let Allen foul JC and not call it.

Sometimes you make the right play and the ball doesn't go in.

Eh, I love Collins but he's not flawless. We absolutely tried to get him the ball down the stretch at Duke, and Amile Jefferson went 7/10 on him. Just watch the film - he struggled to get a solid post down the stretch. He's an amazing player but he's got a couple gaps in his game. One is interior defense and the other is posting up against physical or lanky defenders. He's crazy young and needs just a few more pounds of muscle to have his way with guys inside and ward guys off on entry passes. The latter issue tends to show up at the end of games. He's dominant in the pick and roll moving towards the basket. His jumper makes him elite as long as he's got his legs. His improvement in staying vertical through contact on defense is absurdly better than last year. There's no sugar-coating that he's struggled down the stretch in close games though. So have most of our guys.

Most of the baskets Jefferson scored were when Collins went to help our wings who had gotten beaten off the dribble. Jefferson did get two scores inside with JC on him, but the rest were off of dishes.

Teams have started fronting John Collins to deny entry passes, with help coming over the top, which has been pretty effective (despite the numbers he is still putting up).

The thing our guards need to realize is that they can just throw it over the top anyway because Collins will probably come up with it anyway due to his exceptional hands. Normally I wouldn't advise that, but this isn't a normal player at all inside.

On Crawford's layup against Duke, you are simply wrong. Craw made the RIGHT play. By the time he got the ball, there were about 7-8 second on the shot clock and Collins was not in position to get the ball from Craw. A lane opened and he took it.

Craw had set up a lane for JC to get a clean rebound if he missed. The ref let Allen foul JC and not call it.

Sometimes you make the right play and the ball doesn't go in.

Yeah, 20+ seconds of reversing it and Collins fighting inside, when we got the switch and Collins had a mismatch he still wasn't open enough and the ball had to go to Crawford at the top of the key. He could have lobbed it into him but with help nearby it likely gets tipped away. Smart play and great drive by Crawford, Collins just let himself get taken out of the play, foul or no. Same thing happened on the next trip, Collins went up for a board and landed out of bounds under the bucket.

Against Pitt he got the rebound and putback. Pitt is one of the weakest interior teams in the ACC.

I mean he got pushed on the final possession against Duke, that's why he wound up out of bounds.

I mean he got pushed on the final possession against Duke, that's why he wound up out of bounds.

Lots of players get pushed. Lots of bigs get pushed and don't end up out of bounds. And he was out of the last 2 plays, not just that one.

he has struggled in other games. He didn't struggle vs. Duke. We didn't get him the ball. Period.

Back