• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake @ Syracuse: 3pm RSN

I kept that quote from the newspaper headline on my refrigerator for about 5 years.
I also tell UGA fans that the Dawgs have been afraid to play us since then.

That quote should be recognized more often around Wake Football activities, speeches, memorabilia, etc.

Last edited:
That fall we also beat UGA in Athens—the “Never, never, never, never, never, never, never give up game”. It was huge!

This quote should be on a huge video board or stadium plaque—somewhere prominent, especially at BOWF.

I haven't read the rest of this thread so apologies if this has already been addressed, but Wes Durham sounds a whole lot like Dean's boy, Woody Durham. Does anyone know if this is genetic?

Yes, very genetic. In all candor, Wes Durham could not help but show through intonation his enthusiasm for Cuse’s successes during the game and very noticeable muted affirmation of Wake’s successes which is a recurring characteristic of his. At one point he was amping up Cuse’s yardage compared to Wake’s, implying Wake was not close, when he was apparently handed THE note that Wake had slightly more yardage at that point. I don’t mind whether he is dismissive of Wake’s successes but he at least should hide it as a professional. He has no acting ability at all.

I watched the replay of the game last night, and when you know the outcome of the game, there is so much new stuff you see. There were so many big plays in that game, both on the offense and defense. So many heroes in that second half, but Wolford worked his magic almost to perfection. Colburn carried the ball so many times and ran so hard. The two interceptions by JS & JW. Wolford's run on 4th and one was so smart. Watching the D-back trying to adjust to him and falling down wildly was too much fun as JW just ran by him. Weaver hit some big field goals, and he almost caught that guy on the XP block and return. The O-line was stout all day, and the whole defense was strong in second half. Everybody talks about halftime adjustments. Congrats to coaches and team.
Watched the replay too. It’s amazing how much more time JW had to throw as compared to his first 3 years. I’m sure NCSU will bring much more heat and Syracuse isn’t a great defensive team, but JW had close to a perfect game against Syracuse.

Cuse had a decent D coming into Saturday. They gave up 24.9 PPG which was about #50 in the nation. Their last four games, they gave up 24, 24, 27, 27. They most they had given up all year was 35 to LSU and we nearly doubled that. It was more impressive than scoring 42 on a Louisville team that had given up about 40 pts in all their losses.

Years, maybe decades from now, some of us here will be reminiscing about where we were or who were with when Wake racked up 40 points in the second half and more that 700 yds overall against Syracuse.

Much like the Auburn game in 1979 has become legend, I'm pretty sure the 'Blowout in the Dome' in 2017 will become legend as well

Years, maybe decades from now, some of us here will be reminiscing about where we were or who were with when Wake racked up 40 points in the second half and more that 700 yds overall against Syracuse.

Much like the Auburn game in 1979 has become legend, I'm pretty sure the 'Blowout in the Dome' in 2017 will become legend as well

It’s twilight zone material. WFU has never done anything like that in my lifetime (WFU ‘81,’84).

Just as impressive is that the defense only allowed a field goal all second half. (blocked Extra point run back for 2 was not on the D).

On the kick block, it really looked like the Cuse player crashed directly over the Wake snapper. I thought that wasn't allowed, or is that a difference between college and pros?

I saw the first half live on espn3, which worked fine. I didn't get to see the second half replay-the replays always fight me- until now. My first take on the 2nd half was how many times will Syracuse fall for the misdirection? I think I was at 6 or 7 by the time the game was over, just in the 2nd half. The 'cuse D must do nothing but read keys.

The Wake D obviously must have made adjustments. I could be wrong, but I think that both of these things are the result of coaching within a very limited time period.

Last edited:
Just as impressive is that the defense only allowed a field goal all second half. (blocked Extra point run back for 2 was not on the D).

On the kick block, it really looked like the Cuse player crashed directly over the Wake snapper. I thought that wasn't allowed, or is that a difference between college and pros?

I think it was the left guard who got blown up on that play

I think it was the left guard who got blown up on that play

Yeah, I think so too and it looked like to me he went through the motions on that play and got blown up. Credit to Cuse for making a play, that at time I thought could completely steal our 2nd half momentum. Of course, credit to our guys for not letting that happen.

I have been watching ESPN's College Football Final highlight show on Sunday mornings for a long time. I can't remember the last time a Deacon player received a helmet sticker from the show before this season. Now there are two recipients this season, Dortch for the Louisville game and Wolford for the Syracuse game.

i-FWJmBbd.jpg

Nice! And that gloss helmet with the gold WF logo is still our best look.

Back