• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake-Syracuse Game Kickoff Time: 8pm - ACCN

Was fun watching the OL actually get to drive block on occasion last night. I remember one play in the second half where several OL were blocking 5-7 yards downfield by the time the RB got there. Quite a different look.

The run late in the game I think it was Turner kept this game from getting too scary. Cooley looked great last night too.

I know the mood is still sour here but beating duke next week will go a long way in healing some of those wounds.

Was fun watching the OL actually get to drive block on occasion last night. I remember one play in the second half where several OL were blocking 5-7 yards downfield by the time the RB got there. Quite a different look.
We were watching some condensed games from last year at the tailgate yesterday and came to the conclusion that OL play is the biggest difference from last year. Our run and pass blocking was just night and day from last year to this year.

having a current NFL starter on last years team certainly helped

The run late in the game I think it was Turner kept this game from getting too scary. Cooley looked great last night too.

I know the mood is still sour here but beating duke next week will go a long way in healing...
Depends on your priorities.
For some of us who watched in person the Deacs get repeatedly jobbed and robbed in the 70's, any season when we beat the Heels is not a bad season, even if we lose all the other games, and any season when we lose to UNC just sucks, no matter how many other games we win.
I like Clawson a bunch, but if we win out from here, this season will still suck.

having a current NFL starter on last years team certainly helped
Time will tell, but for the last 5-6 years you could look at Wake's OL and point to at least one guy and say, "that's a future pro."

I think highly of so many guys on Wake's OL this year; I don't think you say that about any of them, though.

Time will tell, but for the last 5-6 years you could look at Wake's OL and point to at least one guy and say, "that's a future pro."

I think highly of so many guys on Wake's OL this year; I don't think you say that about any of them, though.
But here is the big question: you rooting for Wake or Duke this Saturday? We won’t tell.

Do you think that’s a recruiting or development issue? Or just bad luck?

Do you think that’s a recruiting or development issue? Or just bad luck?
I think it's bad luck with some of them. Je'Vionte's injury luck has sucked, Jurgens' injury last season stunted his development this past offseason.

Also think when your typical OL recruit is a 260-280-pound dual-sport athlete, you're rolling the dice on them developing.

Would add: I think Luke Petitbon, George Sell and Nick Sharpe all have a chance to be better than their current interior. They've gotta figure out tackle, though. Maybe DeVonte Gordon takes a jump but he'll have to either do so at LT, or they'll have CJ Elmonus, Spencer Clapp or a transfer there.

If you think 9 win seasons “suck” you’re going to have a bad time rooting for the deacs or basically any program not named Alabama

If you think 9 win seasons “suck” you’re going to have a bad time rooting for the deacs or basically any program not named Alabama
Nope. I root for them great or otherwise.

Losing three straight to Louisville, State, and UNC sucks. A max of 9 wins is the outcome of that.

No one thinks 9 wins “sucks” but it’s pretty clear that something much bigger was there for the taking. The way this season has played out has certainly sucked.

Losing three straight to Louisville, State, and UNC sucks. A max of 9 wins is the outcome of that.

Louisville was just inexplicable but the NCSU and UNC games absolutely should have been won and I put those losses on our staff. This has not been a stellar year for our coaches including Clawson. Some bizarre in-game decisions and horrendous first quarters. We can and have to do better in many facets to sniff being a legit top-10 program. If you don't essentially GIVE Clemson and UNC the entire first quarter, we win both of those games going away.

I didn't think we were ready for State, and our defense didn't play well in the first half against UNC. But the UNC game would have felt a lot differently if it had been officiated fairly, including that missed facemask that would have keep our second drive going. I don't have an issue with the coaching against UNC. Even officiating and we win easily.

We were watching some condensed games from last year at the tailgate yesterday and came to the conclusion that OL play is the biggest difference from last year. Our run and pass blocking was just night and day from last year to this year.

Yes. Not having specifically Zach Tom is the biggest difference between this year's team and last year's.

The offense requires time to run and almost all of the TOs on the season have been a byproduct of pressure on the QB.

Yes. Not having specifically Zach Tom is the biggest difference between this year's team and last year's.

The offense requires time to run and almost all of the TOs on the season have been a byproduct of pressure on the QB.

Zach Tom could solo block the RDE, who usually is the defense's best pass rusher. That left Wake's other 4 linemen plus tight end and running back to block the rest of the defense's pass rushers.

The thing is the O-line held up well against Clemson and FSU and then kind of fell off a cliff starting with Louisville.

Back