• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake - UNC Greensboro Game Thread

The answer to that question should be plainly obvious. The coaches shouldn't let the players be out carousing in the halls of a motel at 2 AM in the morning while on a trip representing the University, where there was the potential for them to get into trouble that might reflect poorly on the University. The fact that they were is an indication that the coaches really were exerting any control over that team.

If the players had been in their room...asleep...where they should have been at 2 AM in the morning....that girl couldn't have accused them of anything and none of this would have ever happened.

Why do you think Wellman gave Dino an extension knowing everything you just described?

Skip only made one Sweet Sixteen in his entire career at WF....and he beat a #12 & #13 seed by 1 & 4 points to make that one.

A fair criticism. And Dino made zero sweet 16's and was fired (at least publicly) for his failure to succeed in the postseason.

Firing a coach that just went 61-31 is a pretty bold move. If you are going to make that move on the pretense of a lack of postseason success then the coach you bring in better have more postseason success than the coach you got rid of.

When Wellman fired Dino I expected him to bring in a coach that would have us back in the sweet 16 within 4 years. If [Redacted] does that I'm fine with him getting another year, regardless of his horrific last 3 seasons.

The incidents have been documented. I don't have the exact timing on everything, but I think it had become apparent to the people with the authority to make the decision...not just Wellman...that the train was off the track and headed in a direction that WF should not be going. I think DV7's comment about recruiting 1 & 2-year players was part of it, and I most certainly think the blowjob incident had a major part in it.

You've got this one wrong.

There is no single documented incident that happened or came to light between October 2009 and April 2010 which could explain Wellman going from extending Dino's contract to firing him. If it was apparent to the decision makers in April 2010 that the train was off the track it was just as apparent in October 2009.

You are asking us to believe that Wellman and the BOT made the decision to extend Dino's contract, and then to fire him 6 months later operating under the exact same set of facts.

The only logical reason you would extend someone you knew you were later going to fire is to help with recruiting. But this would make no sense if Wellman didn't like the type of players Dino was recruiting.

As I said, I don't think Dino's firing had anything at all to do with wins & losses or post-season success. That was just some "PC" for public consumption...and maybe even a way to help Dino land another coaching job somewhere.

Maybe so, but Wellman should be aware that if he is going to lie to the public he should be held accountable for those lies. If he didn't mean it he shouldn't have said it.

Awesome pissing match!

Just watched the replay of the first half of the UNC-G game. Presuming that the rest of our games are against real teams, I'm trying to guess how long the losing streak might extend.

ETA: Just watched the replay of the second half of the UNCG (I stand corrected) game on the WFU Network. I saw no reason to discontinue my guessing.

Last edited:
Awesome pissing match!

Just watched the replay of the first half of the UNC-G game. Presuming that the rest of our games are against real teams, I'm trying to guess how long the losing streak might extend.

ETA: Just watched the replay of the second half of the UNCG (I stand corrected) game on the WFU Network. I saw no reason to discontinue my guessing.

It was an extremely pathetic effort. Overton's foul on the desperation three at the end of the first half stood out because it made the margin single digits going into the half and gave a lousy UNCG team a bit of confidence. I thought Bzz made a series of poor lineup calls midway through the second half when the game was still in doubt (8-10 point margin) as he put out horrendous offensive lineups consisting of some combination of Overton, Jones, Moto, Rountree, and Washington for several minutes. I understand wanting to get some of those guys experience since most won't play significant minutes from here on out, but don't do that when the game is still relatively close. Also, it comes back to Wellman's insistence on playing so many 300+ RPI opponents to pad the win total. It's just difficult to get motivated and maintain focus for opponents that bad especially when guys are flying out after the game for Christmas with their families.

The incidents have been documented. I don't have the exact timing on everything, but I think it had become apparent to the people with the authority to make the decision...not just Wellman...that the train was off the track and headed in a direction that WF should not be going. I think DV7's comment about recruiting 1 & 2-year players was part of it, and I most certainly think the blowjob incident had a major part in it.

I have the exact timing, and you do to since it has been pointed out ad nauseum. Every incident occurred after Dino was fired except for the Miami trip. Every incident.

It does seem strange that we tried so hard to keep that class together if that was the case. There is a wide spectrum of actions between (a) telling kids you aren't going to honor their scholarships, which would be a terrible idea, and (b) re-recruiting kids hard. You can subtly let kids know that they might end up happier at another destination. We seemed pretty desperate to hang on to that class, to the point where we kept all of Dino's assistants, which is another point that seems wholly inconsistent with the major culture problem narrative. Who do you think does a bulk of the recruiting?

Nobody in that class was a one or two and doner anyway. The major two issues from a culture perspective even with perfect foresight were Tabb and Terrell.

Well, maybe someone at the top knew something about these 7 or 8 Dino recruits that we don't know....because they were certainly prophetic in their conclusion that these were not the types of recruits that WF should be having in its basketball program. And I think they felt certain that Dino had indicated he wasn't going to change his recruiting policy. My pal DV7 has already said that he thought this was a major point of contention between Dino and his superiors (and that means more people than Ron Wellman) which factored heavily into Dino's dismissal.

You said the reasons were well documented.

Now you have backtracked to maybe someone knew something in April 2010 (that they didn't know in October 2009) about guys that were going to step onto campus 4 months later. And that something was bad enough to fire Dino but not bad enough to aggressively re-recruit the guys who apparently they reached a prophetic conclusion about earlier that year.

You are unequivocally full of it.

The ironic thing for Wellman is that if he hired a successful coach to replace Dino no one would harp about the events leading to the dismissal four years later or even care that Wellman lied to the fans.

The ironic thing for Wellman is that if he hired a successful coach to replace Dino no one would harp about the events leading to the dismissal four years later or even care that Wellman lied to the fans.

This is true. I was against firing Dino because I think his performance merited job retention at that time. However, I was really excited to see who we could get. And then the Bzzz dropped out.

I have the exact timing, and you do to since it has been pointed out ad nauseum. Every incident occurred after Dino was fired except for the Miami trip. Every incident.

What is so strange here is that this has been pointed out literally dozens, if not hundreds of times. Yet, it continues to be ignored by bkf and the Buzz boosters. Why?

What is so strange here is that this has been pointed out literally dozens, if not hundreds of times. Yet, it continues to be ignored by bkf and the Buzz boosters. Why?

because apparently our AD is prophetic enough to foresee all of those incidents but too incompetent to prevent any of them.

Either that or there was some mysterious incident that happened which was bad enough to fire Dino yet boring enough to not be leaked by our iron tight Athletic Department.

The fact is that we can speculate all we want about why Dino was fired and Buzz hired, or what went on behind the scenes but none of it makes much sense. And Wellman by making a very poor hire and sticking to his guns has hopelessly undermined his own position. That does not make much sense either. The basketball program has been run through the wringer, we have lost at record setting rates and in record setting ways, peoples' reputations have been tarnished, Dino has been scapegoated, the fan base is up in arms, many of the alumni turned off, the seats in the Joel empty, and the running of the university's basketball program an object of consistent and severe criticism by the local and national press. What the hell do Wellman, [Redacted] and the university administration think that they are doing? There is no excuse for any of this stuff.

because apparently our AD is prophetic enough to foresee all of those incidents but too incompetent to prevent any of them.

Either that or there was some mysterious incident that happened which was bad enough to fire Dino yet boring enough to not be leaked by our iron tight Athletic Department.

What happened was that Wellman screwed up big time on a hunch (as he himself called it) and has refused to correct his mistake. And the rest of the administration has stood by and done nothing.

What happened was that Wellman screwed up big time on a hunch (as he himself called it) and has refused to correct his mistake. And the rest of the administration has stood by and done nothing.

Wellman can not correct a mistake if he never made one. Just ask him.

Back