• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake - UNC Greensboro Game Thread

So why can't everyone hold off on the lynch mob mentality for the next couple of months and see how this team is going to play out? If it folds, Bz is going to be gone anyway....but if it turns out to be for real and goes 9-9 or so in the ACC and wins 20 games to make the post-season with 8 players who are sophomores & freshman, maybe he isn't as bad as all of you think he is.

Going 9-9 in the ACC is exactly what many fear the most. That is mediocre, and that is what we feel is [Redacted]'s ceiling.

Who is seriously happy with 18 wins and an NIT appearance? Are you even serious about that? That isn't a good season at Wake Forest. That is a season that we would have moaned about just 4 years ago! UGH. I hate this new narrative of people being happy to be mediocre. Small time. Just so damn small time.

So why can't everyone hold off on the lynch mob mentality for the next couple of months and see how this team is going to play out? If it folds, Bz is going to be gone anyway....but if it turns out to be for real and goes 9-9 or so in the ACC and wins 20 games to make the post-season with 8 players who are sophomores & freshman, maybe he isn't as bad as all of you think he is.

#postsfrom2011

Some have invested so much energy in hating and ridiculing [Redacted] they cannot afford to think of anything approximating success. They would much prefer that Wake lose than that Bz succeed.

It is all out of proportion.

For [Redacted], success = NIT appearances.

That isn't success in my book. Nor should it count as success for a basketball coach at Wake Forest.

Some have invested so much energy in hating and ridiculing [Redacted] they cannot afford to think of anything approximating success. They would much prefer that Wake lose than that Bz succeed.

It is all out of proportion.

This rubbish again?

For the 4,000,000th time... The number of posters who actively want Wake to fail is only a handful.

Why is incremental progress at a snail's pace that still doesn't approach the heights we achieved for the better part of twenty years okay with you?

I think it's pretty vital to point out that we were having down years following the loss of one of the greatest players to ever play at Wake Forest.

It's a huge smokescreen though. Has zero to go with why Wake fans should be thrilled to go .500 and to the NIT (maybe) in year four of Bz.

Smokescreen and distraction is all the Bz defenders have left.

YEAH! YOU TELL US, OLD MAN!

Where was Indiana basketball at in Bob Knight's last few years there again? I'll tell you where (so you don't have to look it up, I'm so nice!) Last 6 seasons he was there... they didn't escape the first weekend even once. How... mediocre and disappointing.

And as I said, if Josh Howard & Chris Paul hadn't both been born in Forsyth County, Skip & WF would have likely been having those kinds of years for the entire time he was here.

That's more than a bit extreme.

Skip had taken a couple programs to the dance. I think it's reasonable to expect he'd do the same here, even sans a J-Ho or CP3

Last edited:
Bob Knight never went from 13-3 to 3-13 in one year. Hell, Bob Knight never went 3-13 anytime in over 40 years of coaching. He's in the Hall of Fame. Where are you?

I'm not coaching basketball. Where are you?

My point is that I don't remember you carrying on this crap when Skip's teams were stinking up the court in his 5th & 6th years as coach. You say now that 9-9 & 18 wins is mediocre and unacceptable at Wake Forest...in a coach's 4th year...but I don't remember having this kind of lynch mob when Skip was having even worse years in his 5th & 6th years. And as I said, if Josh Howard & Chris Paul hadn't both been born in Forsyth County, Skip & WF would have likely been having those kinds of years for the entire time he was here.

Skip had cash in the bank with proven success and that capital gave him some leeway after a couple of down years. [Redacted] has had 6 losing seasons in a row.

Your cognitive dissonance in trying to compare the two situations is just mind boggling. (and quite frankly it makes you look pretty damn ignorant)

Even in Skip's 2 down years, you could tell rebuilding was taking place, and there was a lot of hope for the future. I cannot say that I'm all that hopeful about the future with this current team.

Yeah, he took Loyola to the NCAA once and Xavier to the NCAA four times. And in those five NCAA appearances, he won exactly one game....beating #10 seed Vanderbilt in 1997.

Right, but last time I checked he won more than 13-15 games in those seasons

Don't kid yourself, DV7. I've forgotten more about college basketball than you will ever know.

You've just got so much blind hatred for [Redacted] that it distorts your thinking on everything.

OK, slick.

With your EXTENSIVE knowledge of college basketball, defend Jeff [Redacted]'s record over the past 6 seasons.

Actually, what you are really hopeful for is that this team will fall on its face, isn't it?
No, what I am saying is I think this team does not have enough ACC-caliber talent, regardless of who the coach is. Mainly, good shooters. That's why I'm not all that hopeful for the future.

Last edited:
You should be, as damned much as you think you know.

hahhahahahahahaha

I've never once claimed I would make a good basketball coach. And I've certainly never tried to be a basketball coach.

#oldmanranting

Have another one for me, Bud. Enjoy your libations while your liver still functions.

He was 17-13 the year he went to the NCAA with Loyola.

And [Redacted] is going to win more than 17 games this year.

Are you one of the guys who is hoping this team collapses?

Collapses from what? Beating a bunch of church-league squads?

First of all Wake is not Duke. Prosser is not Coach K and I never said he was. Wake fell off a little after losing Chris Paul because we were banking on him staying for at least three, if not four years. We didn't have a point guard recruited and we weren't in a good place when CP3 left.

And this is why people are pulling against the team this year. I'm not saying I endorse it and I would never pull against Wake, but people will see [Redacted] has 17 wins and think it means something when in actuality it just means we were mediocre in the conference and scheduled one of the weakest schedules you can possibly play. It's a built-in excuse for Ron and [Redacted]. For this team to collapse would imply that we were built up at some point. We've beaten a bunch of garbage teams plus a couple of top 100 opponents. You can't collapse from that point can you?

I'm not particularly "defending" [Redacted]. ...

...So why can't everyone hold off on the lynch mob mentality for the next couple of months and see how this team is going to play out? If it folds, Bz is going to be gone anyway....but if it turns out to be for real and goes 9-9 or so in the ACC and wins 20 games to make the post-season with 8 players who are sophomores & freshman, maybe he isn't as bad as all of you think he is.

#postsfrom2011

@VaDeac - I thought the exact same thing. BKF's comments above are the same kind of swill that the Kool-Aid drinkers have been trying to pass off for three years now. We would be so much better off right now if we had run Buzz's sorry ass out of town on a rail before the end of his first year. And the same thing can be said about year 2, year 3, and now year 4.

Buzz was a waste of CJ and Travis's entire college career. And now we're doing the same thing to Devin and CMM. That alone should qualify Ron Wellman and Nathan Hatch for a few (extra) years in purgatory...

So fucking crucify Prosser. What's your point? Prosser isn't a hall of famer and you're comparing him to K and Knight. Prosser makes [Redacted] look like he is coaching god damn rinky dink third grade tiddlywinks and he had one bad year. [Redacted] has overseen three of the worst years in Wake's 100+ year basketball program. You're the history expert on Wake, how many times did we win 8 games in a season before [Redacted] got here?

In 1978-79, Tacy went 12-15 after going 19-10 the year before. He must be the worst coach on earth.

Back