• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake/UVA

There are other options. Dean Smith could come up with 4 or 5 on the spot. Use some imagination/ creativity .

The biggest problem for us in the half court set is that we don't have a true PG who has great handles, can beat his man off the dribble to break down the D, and who has great court vision. CMM is not a pure PG but is having to be that by default. Us scoring in 12 seconds against a set Virginia defense that is probably the best in the nation was going to be problematic, at best. They did to us what they do best, especially against a team with no true PG.

My heart goes out to this team. They spent the last four years in basketball foster care and they've finally been adopted by a coaching staff that loves them and wants them to win. That said, if there was a 30for30 on the 2015 Deacs, it would be entitled "Losing Time."

In games decided by 5 points or fewer, Wake is 4-5 this year. In games decided by 10 or fewer points, Wake is 6-8.

Post game presser- Malcolm Brogdon speaking about Codi and the last play:

"I knew he wanted to get by me," Brogdon said. "He's not a shooter. He's a slasher. I knew he was going to try to get into my body and I just tried to square him up and stay in front of him, and he coughed up the ball."

In games decided by 5 points or fewer, Wake is 4-5 this year. In games decided by 10 or fewer points, Wake is 6-8.

I have us 4-4 in 5 point games...Iona, Syracuse, Clemson and Va. Am I missing one?

I was impressed with the kids and with the coaching. Manning has coached these kids up far beyond anything I expected preseason. The Virginia game was just the latest example. Dude is a hell of a coach, who is only going to get better. Some of us - including me, probably - need to work on our impulse control.

I have us 4-4 in 5 point games...Iona, Syracuse, Clemson and Va. Am I missing one?

I counted all OT games as being less than 5. We lost to FSU by 6 in double OT, but if the goal is to look at close games then I would argue to include all OT games regardless of the final score.

I counted all OT games as being less than 5. We lost to FSU by 6 in double OT, but if the goal is to look at close games then I would argue to include all OT games regardless of the final score.

Agreed. The sports-reference.com site I used for the 18 years does not note OT games so I was only working from scores. Very few OT games are won by more than 5 so I doubt it would change the percentage of the 126 other results by much.

The last play consisted of our "2 leaders" Devin and CMM which I have no problem with Danny putting the ball in their hands.
Devin had the lane for a quick second but CMM didn't see him and then Devin tried another pick but the play had blown up and
CMM just panicked...
They have to get this Buzz losing stench off them and moments like these do not help but you have to keep putting that responsibility
on CMM and Devin.
WE WILL be back boys!!

I read somewhere that Codi's shoe had become untied and the ball took a weird bounce off the shoelace on that last play. One of the Virginia players said it. Doesn't really help with the disappointment though.

Honestly, you need to stop commenting on basketball. Through plenty of posts you have shown that you have virtually no clue what you are talking about. Earlier in this thread, wfu22fan was quoting you and agreeing with you. I concede you may know soccer. But basketball, no.

WORDS HURT.

Agreed. The sports-reference.com site I used for the 18 years does not note OT games so I was only working from scores. Very few OT games are won by more than 5 so I doubt it would change the percentage of the 126 other results by much.

From 2002-yesterday we were 12-8 in OT games.

Actually, one thing Buzz was decent at was calling EOG plays. We weren't close in many games at the end, but when we were, he drew up a few nice ones.

And it is silly to think DM can't think of any good EOG plays. The guy has only been in a couple hundred games that came down to the wire with Larry Brown, Bill Self and his NBA coaches in the huddle. And Self thought enough of his acumen and work ethic to hire him. Let's just end the crazy talk now that DM can't call an EOG play. That is just ignorant. He just isn't playing with a full deck. He has gotten more out of this hand than I ever imagined.

I do think we need to not call timeouts which lets the D set up. We are better at a faster pace and perhaps catch teams off guard and get a mismatch or catch someone off guard. TO's and going toe to toe vs a set D in the half court with less than a full shot clock is not to our advantage. I don't want to use the word havoc, but that is probably our preferred style.

I was impressed with the kids and with the coaching. Manning has coached these kids up far beyond anything I expected preseason. The Virginia game was just the latest example. Dude is a hell of a coach, who is only going to get better. Some of us - including me, probably - need to work on our impulse control.

Totally agree.
These guys are playing so much better, smarter, harder and not quitting. Great comeback yesterday after being down 12 to have a chance at the end. Hate it for them that they lost. To think we had the #2 team in the country on the ropes at their place is pretty impressive. Hope we win this one at the Joel.
The good news is that virtually this whole team will be back next year.......older, wiser and with another year of DM at the helm. We could be really good next year.
These guys need encouragement......not trashing.

It's not like the win would have got us to the NCAAs or even the NIT. Codi messed up. It happens so we move on to ND then get an another shot at the Wahoos. Revenge will be sweet!

Back