• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake-Vanderbilt GAME THREAD - 9/9/2023, 11am Allegacy Federal Credit Union Stadium - lightening delay

i do much for humanity, and give of my time and resources often. . . in ways that some on this board would not; but my comment was regarding the science behind mask/mask wearing, that has been proven to not stop the spread of an airborne virus, not even a little bit, that is all.

somehow this strickland dude lost his marbles, took it personally apparently, and folks like you judging as well.

heck my feelings aren't even hurt, you and he are free to say whatever you'd like, i'm all for it. . . . just hope the same attitude is reciprocated.
Wait did I miss something? Are people getting mad at other people for not masking again? Are masks a thing now? Haven't been out of TX/FL/PA in a minute.

i do much for humanity, and give of my time and resources often. . . in ways that some on this board would not; but my comment was regarding the science behind mask/mask wearing, that has been proven to not stop the spread of an airborne virus, not even a little bit, that is all.

somehow this strickland dude lost his marbles, took it personally apparently, and folks like you judging as well.

heck my feelings aren't even hurt, you and he are free to say whatever you'd like, i'm all for it. . . . just hope the same attitude is reciprocated.

I don't necessarily want to prolong this, but do you mind sharing where you've seen this? Everything I've seen (NIH, Mayo Clinic, CDC, etc.) suggests that masks are effective at stopping the spread of airborne viruses - reducing spread by anywhere from 20%-80% depending on type of mask (which is more than not even a little bit). The study from the Cochran group showed that mask intervention programs were inconclusive to their efficacy, but the research question wasn't "Do masks work?" but "Do mask intervention programs work?" It looked at whether making mask use mandatory and giving out masks affected transmission rates significantly, but didn't account for the actual use of masks - so it didn't test mask efficacy, but policy efficacy.

Nobody's wearing a mask except old people on airplanes.

I've been noticing more recently in the last week or so around town.

Because more people are getting COVID. The question for Hooz is if someone around him has COVID, if he prefers that they're masked or unmasked. I assume the answer would be the same as if you asked him if people cover their mouth when they sneeze.

"some asshole like you". . . what did I do to you?!

doesn't surprise me though, I've watched you over react like this often on these boards.
It's weird to admit that you have watched somebody to the point where you feel like you know them, but never actively engaged with them on a message board. I might go as far as to say its creepy.

And say whatever you want to me. I don't care. I'm gonna tell you how I feel and I hope that you feel like you can do the same, my dude.

Nobody's wearing a mask except old people on airplanes.
If you are symptomatic and test positive for COVID, then you should wear a mask. It's not going to prevent you from getting sick or sicker, but it might help prevent other people from getting sick or sicker. That's my only point.

Generally-speaking, there's no social cost of suggesting that folks wear masks if they are worried about getting COVID in a big, national-spike. Nobody is telling you that you must or sanctioning you if you do/don't.

Ultimately, though, I don't need a lecture from some lurker weirdo about the pseudo-science of mask wearing on a football thread. Like GTFOH with that. Go post about it with all of the other weirdos in the Tunnels.

If you are symptomatic and test positive for COVID, then you should wear a mask. It's not going to prevent you from getting sick or sicker, but it might help prevent other people from getting sick or sicker. That's my only point.

Generally-speaking, there's no social cost of suggesting that folks wear masks if they are worried about getting COVID in a big, national-spike. Nobody is telling you that you must or sanctioning you if you do/don't.

Ultimately, though, I don't need a lecture from some lurker weirdo about the pseudo-science of mask wearing on a football thread. Like GTFOH with that. Go post about it with all of the other weirdos in the Tunnels.
If you're symptomatic and test positive for COVID, you should stay home, full stop.

If you are not symptomatic and/or positive for COVID, and you live in a county where hospital admissions are not deemed as "high" (there are no counties in NC that are currently "high"), current CDC guidance does not say you should wear a mask in public.

I don't necessarily want to prolong this, but do you mind sharing where you've seen this? Everything I've seen (NIH, Mayo Clinic, CDC, etc.) suggests that masks are effective at stopping the spread of airborne viruses - reducing spread by anywhere from 20%-80% depending on type of mask (which is more than not even a little bit). The study from the Cochran group showed that mask intervention programs were inconclusive to their efficacy, but the research question wasn't "Do masks work?" but "Do mask intervention programs work?" It looked at whether making mask use mandatory and giving out masks affected transmission rates significantly, but didn't account for the actual use of masks - so it didn't test mask efficacy, but policy efficacy.

I've been noticing more recently in the last week or so around town.
Thanks, Thunderbolt. This is the truth right here. Mask "programs' and mandates don't work because there are assholes and ignorant people that cause them to fail. It is that simple. That does not mean masks used correctly do not work.

It's weird to admit that you have watched somebody to the point where you feel like you know them, but never actively engaged with them on a message board. I might go as far as to say its creepy.

And say whatever you want to me. I don't care. I'm gonna tell you how I feel and I hope that you feel like you can do the same, my dude.
No, it's not creepy to observe someone's board persona and elect not to interact with them.

No, it's not creepy to observe someone's board persona and elect not to interact with them.
To each their own, I suppose. I think it's creepy that somebody's just tracking my posts to build some kinda composite about who I am as a person, but ymmv.

If you're symptomatic and test positive for COVID, you should stay home, full stop.

If you are not symptomatic and/or positive for COVID, and you live in a county where hospital admissions are not deemed as "high" (there are no counties in NC that are currently "high"), current CDC guidance does not say you should wear a mask in public.
Definitely. Didn't mean to suggest otherwise. This is what I would do, but this isn't what most people do. I'm just begging people to wear masks if they're sick in public and not to chastise the decisions of folks who wear masks in public because they believe that it helps them avoid getting sick.

Definitely. Didn't mean to suggest otherwise. This is what I would do, but this isn't what most people do. I'm just begging people to wear masks if they're sick in public and not to chastise the decisions of folks who wear masks in public because they believe that it helps them avoid getting sick.
If someone wants to wear a mask or 5 masks, they have every right to do so without judgement from others, but the same should be said for those that don’t. If one believes that masks work well then by all means they should wear it and if they have that belief then it really shouldn’t matter what someone does, since they’re protecting themselves.

Back