• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake-Vanderbilt GAME THREAD - 9/9/2023, 11am Allegacy Federal Credit Union Stadium - lightening delay

Bad news is our OL is bad, good news is Vandy's DL is also bad. We have better athletes and guys on the perimeter. Not sure we'll cross 100 yards rushing but also confident that it won't matter.
I kinda don't think the OL is as bad as people think. Championship caliber, no, but Elons D line looked pretty big for an FCS team and what I would expect from a mid to low tier acc program

I kinda don't think the OL is as bad as people think. Championship caliber, no, but Elons D line looked pretty big for an FCS team and what I would expect from a mid to low tier acc program

Clawson said this as well in his radio show before the game. He also said that most BCS teams won't play an FCS team until later in the season given their lesser number of scholarships and subsequent depth issues.

A matchup of future conference foes when these two are relegated to a different league because they're too up tiered academically to play the likes of LSU and Clemson.
Clemson and LSU now suck because they lost in Week #1; so, they will be in a lower tier as well.

We're making the most of it with greyhounds, screwdrivers, and CTC shots.

Also, massively hyped Nebraska-Colorado is a 10am local start.
There a four games this weekend with 11 am local starts, including Nebraska/Colorado. WF/Vandy is the only won in the EDT zone however.

Didn't Stanford/ Pac10 schedule the return game at 7 or 8 pm PT? He got his revenge.
Yep. Stanford won by a million points. IIRC, the starting QB matchup in that game was Andrew Luck versus Ted Stachitas. The WF OC versus the Stanford DC was Lobo versus Vic Fangio.

Tanner Price started that game - first start of his career (as a true freshman) after coming off the bench in wins over Presbyterian and Duke

Stanford employed the old Al Davis mentality in that game - the quarterback must go down, and he must go down hard.

Had forgotten that Randy Cross's kid Brendan played mop-up duty in that game at qb

Last edited:
Didn't Stanford/ Pac10 schedule the return game at 7 or 8 pm PT? He got his revenge.
yep. I spent the afternoon at an Oktoberfest, then went back to watch at my then-gf's (now wife) apt. was struggling bad to stay awake but once it became clear this wasn't our day I didn't feel bad about passing out.

Auburn vs. Cal kicks off at 10:30pm ET. Gonna be a long ass day. My favorite TV time schedules are when Wake has a 3:30pm kick and then Auburn gets started at 7 or 7:30pm. Able to catch the Wake game at the tailgate and then head straight to the stadium when it ends (unless Wake is playing a pass happy team/goes into overtime). Thankfully Auburn has either been on bye week or playing a buy-a-win game when we make the trip up to Wake for one or two games each year.

Only exception I can think of was the 2017 Auburn vs. LSU game. My girlfriend and I watched that in the Davis lounge and I lost my shit when Gus shat his pants and we blew a 20 point lead in Baton Rouge. My now fiancé was mad at me for like two weeks after that lol.

Yeah I definitely don't think our OL is bad. Elon packed the box all night against us and was steadfastly not going to allow us to run the football.

Now, will other teams use that blueprint and make Mitch beat them? There's a good chance, but I'm not willing to chalk the line up to "bad" over one game where we probably weren't even running the majority of our stuff. Definitely missed assignments that need to be cleaned up.

Is it problematic that we can't run the ball against Elon even with base plays? I'm not really sure, however, I don't think anybody believes we are going to have an elite running game, it just needs to be serviceable to open things up.

Yeah I definitely don't think our OL is bad. Elon packed the box all night against us and was steadfastly not going to allow us to run the football.

Now, will other teams use that blueprint and make Mitch beat them? There's a good chance, but I'm not willing to chalk the line up to "bad" over one game where we probably weren't even running the majority of our stuff. Definitely missed assignments that need to be cleaned up.

Is it problematic that we can't run the ball against Elon even with base plays? I'm not really sure, however, I don't think anybody believes we are going to have an elite running game, it just needs to be serviceable to open things up.
Vandy's secondary is awful, I sincerely hope they load the box and dare Mitch to beat them on Saturday, because I have a ton of confidence that he would.

But we're going to see a loaded box a lot this year unless we find creative ways to deal with it, particularly from teams that are comfortable with leaving their corners isolated.

Throw the ball if the defense puts 8 guys in the box. We were just running through plays it seemed regardless of defensive look against Elon.

Back