• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake's Best Basketball Coach

Who best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I voted Bones, and I'm middle aged. Went to Wake during the Tacy/Staak years and have zero memory of the Bones years. His tenure was short, but he went to a final-4 and elite-8 and was a heck of a personality. Odom and Skip each had their deficiencies. Dave's was offense and recruiting, and Skip's was defense. So had to go with Bones.

I miss his personality and having good regular seasons, but I was fucking sick of losing to the Auburns and West Virginia's of the world in the NCAA Tournament.

Would certainly like to have a decent enough regular season again to just get the OPPORTUNITY to lose to the Auburns and West Virginia's of the world in the NCAA tournament :tard:

I voted for Odom, but I agree that had Skip not passed away he very well might be #1 now. I truly think he could've molded the JJ/Teague/AFA group into something Dino could not, and would've gone from there. Too sad to even think about.

This.

And concur about Reff hating Skip being a great testament to Skip's character. He had no time for clowns, apparently.

Agreed on Skip and Odoms strengths and weakness. By the way part of recruiting is luck. Odom was lucky to get Duncan but that doesn't mean he doesn't deserve credit for the success he had. Others forget Odon also recruited Songalia, Josh Howard, and Craig Dawson.

I voted for Odom, but I agree that had Skip not passed away he very well might be #1 now. I truly think he could've molded the JJ/Teague/AFA group into something Dino could not, and would've gone from there. Too sad to even think about.

Why do you think Skip could have done what Dino didn't? There wasn't much difference between them except Dino cared about defense. Neither could coach the grind it out game necessary to win in the tournaments.

Why do you think Skip could have done what Dino didn't? There wasn't much difference between them except Dino cared about defense. Neither could coach the grind it out game necessary to win in the tournaments.

Skip was a better motivator and leader, IMO.

I voted Bones, and I'm middle aged. Went to Wake during the Tacy/Staak years and have zero memory of the Bones years. His tenure was short, but he went to a final-4 and elite-8 and was a heck of a personality. Odom and Skip each had their deficiencies. Dave's was offense and recruiting, and Skip's was defense. So had to go with Bones.

Dave was slack in recruiting? Three jerseys hanging that he recruited and he was deficient in recruiting? I'm afraid I don't understand.

Agreed on Skip and Odoms strengths and weakness. By the way part of recruiting is luck. Odom was lucky to get Duncan but that doesn't mean he doesn't deserve credit for the success he had. Others forget Odon also recruited Songalia, Josh Howard, and Craig Dawson.

That was part of my point with Odom. He started strong his 1st couple of years but then had several dry years in a row before Stokes left and we brought in Frank Haith as the primary recruiting asst. That's when we landed the ROK class and the guys you mentioned. Had he not had Duncan to bail him out during those dry years, he wouldn't have lasted to get to Darius, Josh and Craig.

I may not be of clear mind right now, but I think Skip's passing stopped Wake basketball from taking a jump to next level. I believe he was the perfect Wake coach.

He had poor recruiting classes, but he also seemed to realize his mistakes... and brought in studs before and after the 2007 class. Take everything Dino did in our performance and in our 2010 recruiting and magnify it... and that's what Skip would have done.

And after the studs left early for the pros we would be right where we are now.

If by care about defense you mean was given a roster full of defensive talent, then yes Dino cared more about defense. Defensive strategy was actually the worst part about Dino.

It's Bones. Can't believe Odom is winning this. Lucking into Duncan saved him for a few years b/c he recruited next to nothing after his 1st couple of years until the ROK era. Didn't help having Ricky Stokes as his recruiting asst for much of that time. And he was saved by bringing in Frank Haith to replace Stokes. His offensive sets were god awful, and a couple of his teams late in his career quit on him at the end of the season. Was by far our best defensive coach, though. I always loved his style of man D (more of a packline), and he coached a darn good 3-2 match-up. If we could have had Dave coaching our D and Skip recruiting and coaching O, that would have been by far our best coach.

How was he lucky getting Duncan? Other than the last team what team do you feel quit on him?

That was part of my point with Odom. He started strong his 1st couple of years but then had several dry years in a row before Stokes left and we brought in Frank Haith as the primary recruiting asst. That's when we landed the ROK class and the guys you mentioned. Had he not had Duncan to bail him out during those dry years, he wouldn't have lasted to get to Darius, Josh and Craig.

Ricky Stokes helped recruit Robert O'Kelley.

Tell us about the dry recruiting years.

Interesting word choice.

He also recruited Loren Woods (McDs AA) though a head case we later found out. His last class that came after he left was pretty good with Taron Downey, Vytas Danelius and Jamal Levy. We had some players that were truly forgettable though including Vidaurreta, Amonnett, Arinze, Sean Allen, AW Hamilton, etc. I will never forget him starting Jim Fitzpatrick at PG.

Where I fault Odom was with two of his better teams, 1997, and 2001, seemed to lose confidence late in the year and really fell apart. I know Odom talked about how he never could get his guards on the 1997 team to shoot with confidence once they had lost it. I will never fully understand what happened with the 2001 team other then the UNC loss seemed to really knock their confidence along with the infamous "Mangler" comment by Pete Gillen which seemed to lead to Songalia getting foul trouble from then on.

We'll never known how things would have panned out with Skip. I was frustrated that our teams under him never played very good defense. Maybe he would have done better with AFA, James Johnson, and Teague. If he didn't, I think there's a reasonable chance he would have ended up getting fired.

Odom had some misses that were pretty highly rated. The international guy who had some qualification issues and the guy who ended up at Georgia.

How was he lucky getting Duncan? Other than the last team what team do you feel quit on him?

He wasn't lucky getting him. What he lucked into was a hall of fame player waiting to develop. He was recruited as an afterthought. And I'd take that kind of luck all day long if I were a coach.

Skip was better than Dino at pretty much every single aspect of coaching basketball. Ugh, just thinking about the possibilities of that 2009 team with Skip at the helm makes me sad.

Skip was better than Dino at pretty much every single aspect of coaching basketball. Ugh, just thinking about the possibilities of that 2009 team with Skip at the helm makes me sad.

Name one. I liked Skip and miss him but name one.

Hating on a dead guy is so pitiful.

Fire buzz and sign odom to a 2-year contract.

He IS bored isn't he?

eta: need to go create a new board name so I can vote for odom twice...

hell the TACY argument is probably the strongest - he had no chance over in wake forest east/greensboro coliseum

Last edited:
Back