• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake's Best Basketball Coach

Who best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Odom and Izzo have similar coaching styles with tough, physical D in the paint, rebounding, controlling tempo, set plays, ONLY accepting good half court execution and shots. Not always uber-exciting and sexy, but gets the job done.

Maybe that is why some guys like Jackson, Steve Rich, Blom, Stringfellow, Fitzgibbons and a few other good looking big men didn't quite pan out - no toughness.

I think I heard Odom announcing a game yesterday (?) and he said "I would put Evans on his butt" as in the bigs for FSU needed to hard foul Evans from UVA and keep him from driving for layups.

WE need that now.

Oh yeah, Duncan was clearly SOME luck and I would love to have that kind of luck again with say, Andre Washington!

Odom and Izzo have similar coaching styles with tough, physical D in the paint, rebounding, controlling tempo, set plays, ONLY accepting good half court execution and shots. Not always uber-exciting and sexy, but gets the job done.

Maybe that is why some guys like Jackson, Steve Rich, Blom, Stringfellow, Fitzgibbons and a few other good looking big men didn't quite pan out - no toughness.

I think I heard Odom announcing a game yesterday (?) and he said "I would put Evans on his butt" as in the bigs for FSU needed to hard foul Evans from UVA and keep him from driving for layups.

WE need that now.

Oh yeah, Duncan was clearly SOME luck and I would love to have that kind of luck again with say, Andre Washington!
Some people confuse hard work with luck. BTW Blom never enrolled here.

With Blom here, Wake would have probably gone to 10 or 11 straight NCAAs and Odom would probably still be coaching here.

He still is averaging double digits playing overseas at 35.

Whether it's fair or not, Dino's postseason failures will always be part of Skip's legacy as well.

Skip was better than Dino at pretty much every single aspect of coaching basketball. Ugh, just thinking about the possibilities of that 2009 team with Skip at the helm makes me sad.

Probably would have ended like the 03 and 05 seasons.

I respect your take on basketball issues, but I think you have a pretty big blind spot when it comes to Skip.

Carl Tacy's first year was my freshman year, so I am clearly middle-age. I voted for Bones, but my next picks would be Skip Prosser, Dave Odom and Carl Tacy. I am proud of all four of them, too.

Probably would have ended like the 03 and 05 seasons.

I respect your take on basketball issues, but I think you have a pretty big blind spot when it comes to Skip.

If so, so do I. His loss was immeasurable to the basketball program and to the University as a whole.

Skip may have had his flaws, but losing him was a huge blow to this basketball program. He would've been around for a long time at WFU had he lived. Sure, he struggled in the postseason, but we would make it enough to where he would learn. Now, it doesn't look like we'll make it back to the postseasons for years to come, definitely not with Bzz at the helm.

All I can say is LOL and time to block good 'ole fired by Wake, then USC keep.

What was that really loud sound at our last home basketball game that came from the scorekeeper's desk/area? Loud, brief screech?

It was CONFUSING.

agree with IAI on skip. he was never going to be the best defensive coach, but he would have made that '09 team an absolute blast. those guys played into his defensive philosophies, and we would have averaged 80+ ppg. i'll always feel a connection to skip in the fact that we both got to wake the same year. it was apparent from day one that he wasn't there to fall in line behind unc and duke.

Tell us about the dry recruiting years.

Ammo, West, Stringfellow, Jackson, and Wilson coming off an ACC Championship. 0.5 ACC-caliber players out of 5. Put a.decent class together and the three-year stretch of NITs likely doesn't happen, as we wouldn't be triangles on a six-man class in 97-98.

Skip was better than Dino at pretty much every single aspect of coaching basketball. Ugh, just thinking about the possibilities of that 2009 team with Skip at the helm makes me sad.

Talk about revisionist history. Dino was a far, far superior defensive coach.

What was that really loud sound at our last home basketball game that came from the scorekeeper's desk/area? Loud, brief screech?

It was CONFUSING.

A little gas. Nothing to see here.

Ammo, West, Stringfellow, Jackson, and Wilson coming off an ACC Championship. 0.5 ACC-caliber players out of 5. Put a.decent class together and the three-year stretch of NITs likely doesn't happen, as we wouldn't be triangles on a six-man class in 97-98.

Tough to recruit here when veterans are already in place. No coach here had been able to do it. We have to offer immediate playing time.

Tough to recruit here when veterans are already in place. No coach here had been able to do it. We have to offer immediate playing time.

Read those five names again and tell me we couldn't have done better.

BTW, I voted for Odom in the poll. Guy won the ACC and went to the Elite 8 with Duncan, a sophomore combo guard running the point, and five role players.

Last edited:
Read those five names again and tell me we couldn't have done better.

BTW, I voted for Odom in the poll. Guy won the ACC and went to the Elite 8 with Duncan, a sophomore combo guard running the point, and five role players.

Who wants to sit on our bench?

It was CONFUSING.

It is interesting that our record post Odom is worse than Odom's here. The same with USC probably after this season. Neither job is an easy one. Especially USC.

Back