• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake's Best Basketball Coach

Who best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Who wants to sit on our bench?

I'd hope no one. I'd hope every recruit that comes here would have enough confidence to come into their freshman year with the mindset of competing for playing time.

I'd hope no one. I'd hope every recruit that comes here would have enough confidence to come into their freshman year with the mindset of competing for playing time.

That would be great and is the reason our program has always gone through cylcles. Check it out. Most of our great players start as freshmen and really don't have to beat out any outstanding players.

That would be great and is the reason our program has always gone through cylcles. Check it out. Most of our great players start as freshmen and really don't have to beat out any outstanding players.

That's probably how it works most places outside of your top ten or so programs.

Most great Duke and UNC players started as freshmen and just replaced great players.

7 joke votes for Bzzz, and 1 from Jason27. A New Era!

Most great Duke and UNC players started as freshmen and just replaced great players.

That's not the point. The point is recruiting quality players when there are quality players ahead of them.

Skip never lost in the first round at Wake fwiw. Obviously he did not have the greatest record in the second round and beyond, but he never laid a complete egg and got blown out either, and I do think luck and circumstance explain at least a little bit of that.

Beyond that, I'll just say I agree with IAI and a few others on this thread that he would have gotten us to that point enough that he would have broken through a few times eventually.

Skip never lost in the first round at Wake fwiw. Obviously he did not have the greatest record in the second round and beyond, but he never laid a complete egg and got blown out either, and I do think luck and circumstance explain at least a little bit of that.

Beyond that, I'll just say I agree with IAI and a few others on this thread that he would have gotten us to that point enough that he would have broken through a few times eventually.

He lost in the first round of the NIT.

I was talking about the NCAAs (and I'm sure you knew that) but fair enough.

keeper, rank your top 5.

Very difficult because of different eras. I voted for McKinney because he took us to the Final Four. However,UNC and NC State's programs were coming off probation and Duke was upset by Clemson in the ACC semis. We were a Yale made free throw away from being upset in the first round. Three wins got you in the Final Four back then. Carl Tacy probably did more with less....small budget, no home court, TREMENDOUS competetion. Few players left early then. David Odom was the best for the longest without question. Averaging 20 wins for 12 seasons is quite an accomplishment at Wake Forest. Skip was good but no better than Odom. Dino I thought was good but no better than Odom or Skip. Impossible to rank because of different eras.

Very difficult because of different eras. I voted for McKinney because he took us to the Final Four. However,UNC and NC State's programs were coming off probation and Duke was upset by Clemson in the ACC semis. We were a Yale made free throw away from being upset in the first round. Three wins got you in the Final Four back then. Carl Tacy probably did more with less....small budget, no home court, TREMENDOUS competetion. Few players left early then. David Odom was the best for the longest without question. Averaging 20 wins for 12 seasons is quite an accomplishment at Wake Forest. Skip was good but no better than Odom. Dino I thought was good but no better than Odom or Skip. Impossible to rank because of different eras.

A non-trolling post by keeper? The end really is upon us.

Interesting post. Of course, the different eras are a factor ... but they always are when considering rankings over time. I would rank the top five as Bones, GDO, Tacy, Dino, and Skip. Honorable mention to McCloskey for kicking the hole in the scorers table circa 1970. Every time the TV camera followed play up and down the court the entire weekend that hole was there for God and country to see.

Back