• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

We looked better tonight than any game last year

However, our five-out read-and-react halfcourt motion offense doesnt utilize positions in the traditional sense. There were multiple times tonight when CJ, Tony, and Anthony were all in at the same time (that's three deep at the point). Especially against the press, there was no clear 1 most of the time.

Yeah. There's a key place for Green in the rotation. I was impressed. He looked like the type of raw energy guy who could really be a strong contributor as a starter or 6th man as a junior and senior.

I think TC or Chase will find themselves out of the rotation soon enough. Depending on conditioning, I think Bz could just commit to playing CJ, Travis, and Carson as many minutes as they can go and filling in with Fields, Green, Nikita, and TC or Chase around them.

TC looked a lot better tonight than he did against Ferrum. Not great, but better. Did a good job of getting to the rim and getting his shots to drop. Fields is a surprise, but I wouldn't count TC out yet. Same goes for Fischer.

McKie played 35 minutes tonight (partly due to Nikita's foul trouble probably). I would expect to see that many minutes out of both CJ and Travis as the season progresses.

If we had multiple passes per possession and yet only turned the ball over 16x, that is a substantial improvement. It seemed at times last season that we would have 16 turnovers in a half. (Not quite that bad, but seemed to be)

If we had multiple passes per possession and yet only turned the ball over 16x, that is a substantial improvement. It seemed at times last season that we would have 16 turnovers in a half. (Not quite that bad, but seemed to be)

At least three or four were against the press as well.

TC looked a lot better tonight than he did against Ferrum. Not great, but better. Did a good job of getting to the rim and getting his shots to drop. Fields is a surprise, but I wouldn't count TC out yet. Same goes for Fischer.

McKie played 35 minutes tonight (partly due to Nikita's foul trouble probably). I would expect to see that many minutes out of both CJ and Travis as the season progresses.

Is Nikita ever going to produce?

Is Nikita ever going to produce?

When he's in the game he seems to take way too many of shots and most of them are ugly. He had one good shot that I saw tonight (mind you I didn't see the first 5 minutes of the game).

And on defense he's a walking foul.

Out rebounded, but 1-0. I would be shocked if we out rebound three teams this year.

While we won't outrebound a lot of teams this year, our horrific free throw shooting really contributed to their getting lots of easy rebounds off our misses. Carson has to work on securing the ball when he gets his hands on it.

Also, nikita may have set the world record for fouls - two in the first two minutes. Then, amazingly, he broke this record in the second half.

He is like un-containable energy. He is all over the place. I do feel his frustration though.

Chase gives a ton of effort. I was really pleased with his contributions tonight even if he want getting his shot off often enough.

I was pleasantly surprised at how well CF passed and looked comfortable handling the ball. He we was quick and decisive with his passes and offensive movements. He just played and wasn't very reactive, so to speak. He really didn't look to shoot very often which surprised me. I am sure that will change as he further adjusts to the pace of college basketball.

Fields looked good and I think (on last night's evidence alone) that he will be the starting PG by February.
Chase works hard but still has a ways to go, IMO.
Green is long and "rangey" and has a nose for the ball. Worried about his size when we play real teams tho. Dude is ridiculously skinny.

Loyola was pure garbage last night and we were only moderately better. I thought it was a really piss poor game of basketball. How many combined turnovers were there? And that wasn't because of hard defense either; from either team.

Thrilled we got the win. 1-0 against a shit opponent is obviously so much better than 0-1 against a shit opponent.

Oh, and that kid at HT didn't dribble to the opposite end to do that stupid contest where they put on the oversized clothes. What an outrage! And the girls at halftime were far too young to be dressed like that and dancing like that. Gross.

Loyola was better than, at least, 5 teams we lost to last year. Last year, that game would have been a loss.

Loyola was better than, at least, 5 teams we lost to last year. Last year, that game would have been a loss.

If Loyola doesn't get into foul trouble and start losing guys mid second half, we don't win. Still, our offense is designed to create fouls with dribble penetration and that's what happened.

Our rims are much tighter this year. We've gone from having the softest rims anywhere to as tight as anywhere. That's going to knock 5% or so off our FT percentage for the year.

I've thought for years that there ought to a way to develop a standard for "rim tightness" so that it's more consistent across the country. I found it a little embarrassing the last few years that the Joel had such loose rims, and now they're as tight as anywhere.

Per kenpom, Loyola would have been our 3rd best win last year.

Back