• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Week 1 depth chart

Only two senior starters on offense (almost just one as Wolford apparently nosed out Hinton for the starting spot), and four on defense. All 10 OL on the two deep are juniors, sophomores or frosh. Future is bright. TE appears to be a position of need for future recruiting efforts.

Pretty solid looking team- Nathan Gilliam at center is a bit of a surprise from what I have been reading but I may have just missed that.

Not a single "or" on there. Most decisive chart we've had in awhile.

I guess Wolford earned it, but I'm really not looking forward to another year of bury-head-in-turtle-mode whenever the pocket collapses. Hopefully his starting is also a product of increased faith in the OL to provide time for the better passer to thrive.

Also, I want to know which coach's wife/daughter Cortez banged. He's not quite Josh Adams-level doghoused, but seemingly pretty close.

Team appears to be better than last year's but obviously a much more difficult schedule.

I'm still of the mind (and have been) that Wolford is better than Hinton with the caveat that if the offensive line is not good (which has been a consistent theme as of late) then Hinton gives us a better chance to win. Happy Wolf is getting the start even though I expect both to see time throughout the year.

I think we all know that it's the depth chart on week 2 that really counts. But one game at a time.

Only freshman or redshirt freshman to be listed as a starter is Dortch as punt and kick returner.

Kind of surprised not to see Alique Terry or Paris Black anywhere on the depth chart

I guess Wolford earned it, but I'm really not looking forward to another year of bury-head-in-turtle-mode whenever the pocket collapses. Hopefully his starting is also a product of increased faith in the OL to provide time for the better passer to thrive.

Also, I want to know which coach's wife/daughter Cortez banged. He's not quite Josh Adams-level doghoused, but seemingly pretty close.

Wolford has earned it in practice before giving it up on the field. Let's see if it happens again.

Only two senior starters on offense (almost just one as Wolford apparently nosed out Hinton for the starting spot), and four on defense. All 10 OL on the two deep are juniors, sophomores or frosh. Future is bright. TE appears to be a position of need for future recruiting efforts.

Was going to say the same thing.
Depth/experience next year looking really good.

Wolford has earned it in practice before giving it up on the field. Let's see if it happens again.

My feeling exactly. Seems he always plays well in practice. But then there is no pressure on him in practice.

Wolford and Hinton may be a week to week thing unless one gets hurt or plays ridiculously well. I expect both to play well next week against Presby.

BC and Utah State represents the chance for one of them to take control of the position (until an inevitable injury).

IMO, some people's opinion of Wolford are still tainted by the situation he faced as a true freshman when any 18 year-old QB with no o-line and no weapons would have failed miserably. Even when he was a sophomore, there was little for a QB to work with. Last year, both QBs had their moments. Wolford can be very accurate when he has time (and this is the best o-line WF has had in a while), and he runs better than he looks. Hinton can break games open with his wheels and throws a good deep ball. Hinton appears to be behind in making the right reads and appears more prone to turning the ball over. Could be wrong, but I expect the QB play this year to be the best it has been since Riley's days behind center.

Pilch, I'm not sure which "some people" you're talking about.

Clawson named Hinton the starter based on everything that happened until the last month of practice. That means we've seen why Clawson put Hinton ahead of Wolford, but we haven't seen why he changed his mind.

0% chance either of these QB's is better than 2011 Tanner Price. Definitely had better receivers but that is the only time I've seen ACC-level QB play in the last 7-8 years.

Part of Hinton being named starter in the spring came under the "you don't lose your starti2job to injury" clause. Wolford apparently outplayed Hinton by at least a little this summer. Clawson values passing accuracy greatly. Wolford is better at that than Hinton.

Hinton will have bis turn, particularly against better defenses when his legs may make a difference. I expect all three QBs to play against Presby.

Part of Hinton being named starter in the spring came under the "you don't lose your starti2job to injury" clause. Wolford apparently outplayed Hinton by at least a little this summer. Clawson values passing accuracy greatly. Wolford is better at that than Hinton.

Hinton will have bis turn, particularly against better defenses when his legs may make a difference. I expect all three QBs to play against Presby.

I hope the score is such that Newman plays almost the entire 2nd half.

Pilch, I'm not sure which "some people" you're talking about.

Clawson named Hinton the starter based on everything that happened until the last month of practice. That means we've seen why Clawson put Hinton ahead of Wolford, but we haven't seen why he changed his mind.

Take a look at the stats from every pre-season scrimmage. By any objective standard, Wolford outplayed Hinton this Fall. Clawson didn't change his mind; Wolford beat Hinton out. That said, if Wolford struggles in games going forward, it won't take much to put Hinton back at the starting spot.

Back