• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman tips his hand in Washington Post

The real danger magnifies when classes start going through 4 years seeing a product in the neighborhood of the last two years. That is when long term apathy becomes a real concern. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

After a humiliating home loss to Clem's son tomorrow, it is likely that RW will again make a radio post game appearance. :tear:

i am good friends with an uncle of one of the players recruiting by dino, but played for buzz. His version of the Dino firing was:

RW told Dino - I want the program to go in a new direction. More like WF football / Duke and Butler bball and less like UNC fball / Memphis and Kentucky bball.

Dino told RW - (same thing Skip always said) In order for us to win in the ACC, we need the best players available (future NBA players, not kids with 5 star heart).

RW told Dino - we are going in the new direction, with or without you

Dino stood his ground and RW fired him.

IMO, the lack of post-season success was the excuse. RW's desire for a culture change was the reason Dino got fired.

As proud as I am of Grobe doing it the right way, RW had to understand that football and bball at Wake are completely different animals. Grobe took over a program in terrible shape, so people gave him time to build it up - first competitive, then playing for bowls, then the ACC champs. Bball was #1 in the country 15 months prior to Dino getting fired. No fanbase in the world would accept going from #1 to 1-15 in 2 years.

BTW - I am a buzzouter. Have been since early last year, when he started blaming everyone in sight (players, fans, press) and never took responsibility for anything other than a NIT season at CU.

Well, by taking that idiotic position Wellman has turned us into Duke football.

For the record, I don't think RW specifically said duke / butler etc. I used that as short-hand for the culuture change RW has been talking about for the last 2 years.

Big article this morning about how ACC basketball attendance is declining, and plenty of quotes from Wellman throughout.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...e-box-office/2012/02/09/gIQA7jFY2Q_story.html

Here's the one I found interesting:

“We recognize that it’s a little bit of a downswing right now, but it takes time to build a program the right way,” Wellman said.

Settle in, everyone - Bzzzz ain't going anywhere.

And nor should he. Any coach has to be given 4 to 5 years to build up his program after taking over. And in this case, the cupboard was bare as 4 players had to be kicked off the team, leaving only 7 schollie players

That must be it. Ron is trying to make the team suck so he can move the Deacs to Miami, like the chick owner in Major League.

Let's hope that the team doesn't have a same cardboard cutout of Wellman to disrobe with each win... we might never win again

Of course I previous 'success' can be summed up by this stat from ESPN last night.

After Murray St lost:

Three of the last four team to be the last undefeated team in the country won at least 2 games in the NCAA tourney.

I don't think I have to point out which one didn't get the 2 wins.

IMO the team really needs to go 3-3 down the stretch here to kindle any hope of progress. Sure it's against the bottom of the league but we've got 3 home games we should win.

BTW - I am a buzzouter. Have been since early last year, when he started blaming everyone in sight (players, fans, press) and never took responsibility for anything other than a NIT season at CU.

credibility fail. bzz also takes credit for afa beating wake.

Of course I previous 'success' can be summed up by this stat from ESPN last night.

After Murray St lost:

Three of the last four team to be the last undefeated team in the country won at least 2 games in the NCAA tourney.

I don't think I have to point out which one didn't get the 2 wins.

I think most people would take that kind of 'success' these days. I have serious doubts that [Redacted] will ever make the NCAAs at Wake... though then he could not be accused of post-season failure, so I guess that's something.

That must be it. Ron is trying to make the team suck so he can move the Deacs to Miami, like the chick owner in Major League.

or maybe wake is going to sell stock in the bball team in 2018. he hires bzz to destroy the program and buys up everything during the ipo. BAM RON "MAKEIN' IT RAIN" Wellman in da house!

A fun quote:

"I think he's deserving of it," Wellman said. "His first two years were, I think, symbolic of what he can do for our program and with our program. He's done a good job in all phases of the program. If you look at the academic performance of our team, the athletic performance of our team, the recruitment, then he's done a good job in all areas.

That last Wellman quote sounds like what they always said about Les Robinson when he was getting State cleaned up. I fear this experiment will lead to 20 lost years in Wake Hoops like State seems to finally be coming out of.

That last Wellman quote sounds like what they always said about Les Robinson when he was getting State cleaned up. I fear this experiment will lead to 20 lost years in Wake Hoops like State seems to finally be coming out of.

[Redacted] bid to the les Robinson invitational

That last quote was about Dino...

live - ... Unfortunately for him, he's saddled with cleaning up the mess he inherited. One thing I'm certain of....Bz's successor will inherit a much bigger REBUILDING challenge than the one he did.

I left out most of Hondo's post above, but the whole thing was just so much BS! As to the sentence in bold - FIFY

i am good friends with an uncle of one of the players recruiting by dino, but played for buzz. His version of the Dino firing was:

RW told Dino - I want the program to go in a new direction. More like WF football / Duke and Butler bball and less like UNC fball / Memphis and Kentucky bball.

Dino told RW - (same thing Skip always said) In order for us to win in the ACC, we need the best players available (future NBA players, not kids with 5 star heart).

RW told Dino - we are going in the new direction, with or without you

Dino stood his ground and RW fired him.

... Bball was #1 in the country 15 months prior to Dino getting fired. No fanbase in the world would accept going from #1 to 1-15 in 2 years.

I agree with the bold. If the rest is true, RW deserves an old-fashioned tar and feathering.

And what exactly do we know about what happened? As far as anyone has officially said, the only incident that has come out since Dino was fired that happened on his watch was the Clark/Teague incident. Some people like to drop hints and act like they knew of Dino making deals with Satan and players snorting coke off of hookers paid for by boosters, but people with much better knowledge of the program (BabyDeac) say that there was nothing improper going on. Thanks for letting know that you hated Dino and/or are related to Wellman or [Redacted]. Just remember that all these problems came after Dino was fired... not before.

Preach on!

And nor should he. Any coach has to be given 4 to 5 years to build up his program after taking over. ...

Did you feel that Dino should have had "4 to 5 years"? Regardless of what you think, Wellman better not feel that Buzz deserves even one day longer than he gave Dino.

I'm near 100% positive that I even remember quotes from Wellman right after the hire than said the program only needed "tweaking" to get us over the March hump. Hell, Wellman pushed to have Bzz keep the staff together and keep the recruits at Wake. Not exactly signs of needing a culture change.

The tear down, culture change, etc BS only came about when players started getting in trouble and we started losing games under Bzz's watch. It's all a made up crap sandwich that Bzzinners have chomped down on and raved about like a nice steak.

No one wants to believe it, but I will say it anyway...There were most definitely behind the scenes issues within the basketball team that needed to be addressed, and Dino was not addressing them. I don't know if the program needed "culture change" per se, but there were problems.

And before everyone gets all worked up about the Wellman quote in the article linked in the OP...remember, this is the same guy that gave Dino a contract extension and raise months before he canned him- with no warning.

... And before everyone gets all worked up about the Wellman quote in the article linked in the OP...remember, this is the same guy that gave Dino a contract extension and raise months before he canned him- with no warning.

Words of HOPE from KVegas! :thumbsup:

Back