• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"We're hanging our hat on Tanner Price"

really? i thought he came in the 2nd or 3rd game into the season against syracuse, but i may be wrong.

The Syracuse game you described was the first game of his sophomore year. He got hurt late, Stachitis came in, 'cuse scores 15 unanswered, and we lost in OT. Tanner played well, but we lost our offensive momentum when he left the game.

The Syracuse game you described was the first game of his sophomore year. He got hurt late, Stachitis came in, 'cuse scores 15 unanswered, and we lost in OT. Tanner played well, but we lost our offensive momentum when he left the game.

Right. Can't blame that one on Tanner.

The Duke shootout was the second game of his freshman year, in 2010, and was his first meaningful action with us

Jim knows about hanging things up- he hung it up 6 years ago.

Once again I'll add the questionable QB development aspect as well.

yeah, I think Tanner could have been a star with the right offense and coaching. He has his faults, but he has had some very productive games while at Wake.

Oh yeah, Zac slipped my mind. He came in at the same time as Mauk and just lost the head to head battle between the two for back-up behind Cory. I don't know that there was much separation between the two but Mauk certainly had more hype although the players liked Zac a lot better. I think Mauk was poised to have a big year in 06 before getting hurt, fwiw. I don't blame guys that transfer at the QB position because there is so much intertia.

We had good wr and Galloway and a good team that year. Minus our pitiful kicker. Stachitas could not get the ball to givens or camp.

I don't remember Cross being hyped up at all. Stachitas was hyped. Sousa and Cameron

I think Sousa team was better than 1-11 his Sr year if that's what you were referring to.

I was in Orlando a few years ago when we were recruiting Sousa, along with others. Heard lots of good things about him from the locals. Everyone expected big things from him. Maybe.....hopefully......he's just a late bloomer. And now is the time he needs to bloom.

Stachitas' shoulder problems ruined his chances as a passer. Running wise, he was very good, but his running along with not being real big lead to other injuries.

Cross was definitely hyped up.

Meh, no more than any other frosh QB expected to take the reins from a departing senior. If you've got zero hype in that situation, you've got a dead program.

And thinking back on it, the Cross hypemaster was jamesda3. He of "Ragland will replace Givens easily" fame.

Meh, no more than any other frosh QB expected to take the reins from a departing senior. If you've got zero hype in that situation, you've got a dead program.

Yeah I understand that. But I think I read a couple of Skinner comparisons in that he was an underrated 2* and had "intangibles" which was a clear overhype.

But if it was Jamesda then understood.

If Jameis Winston came to Wake, he's be sitting on the bench and Wellman would be trying to get rid of him for "culture" reason. This staff would screw-up a 5 star.

i remember when tanner first walked on the field. i think it was against syracuse. it was so awesome, because there was some talk he might redshirt . syracuse challenged him to beat them with his arm...and he did, we just didn't win the game. and that's been the story with tanner. I thought he was gonna be great, and in different circumstances he may well have excelled, but he definitely can't do a 2 minute drive to win the game like skinner could and he lacks a lot of intangibles that skinner had.

I would have really liked to have seen what he could have done with better coaching, better offensive teammates, and better special teams.

He certainly did a great 2 minute drive vs Carolina last year to win that game.

I don't remember Cross being expected to be our starting QB at any time really.

I am sure Lectro compared him to Phillip Rivers.

Back