• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF and Truist Deal (Football Now Allegacy Federal Credit Union Stadium)

So does this mean Groves is officially dead now? I know it’s been functionally dead since the BB&T deal, but with BB&T (and transitioning to Truist) it was BB&T/Truist Field, not Stadium (with the almost never said or acknowledged Groves Stadium name still technically there).

ETA: I don’t really care one way or the other, but I know a lot of folks were pissed when the first deal was done and the “at Groves Stadium” seemed to be the attempt to mollify those folks.
It was a flat out lie that they told to mollify those people. They talked about how it would be BB&T Field at Groves Stadium and that the Groves name would still be prominent in the stadium and signage. None of that ever happened. The Groves Stadium name was completely gone.

It was a flat out lie that they told to mollify those people. They talked about how it would be BB&T Field at Groves Stadium and that the Groves name would still be prominent in the stadium and signage. None of that ever happened. The Groves Stadium name was completely gone.
I've been wondering the same thing. Thought a new name was still going to be '_______ Field' but this is the nail in the coffin.

I wonder if the field vs stadium distinction is purely up to the sponsor

This old fogey has hated every minute that it doesn't include the Groves name.

I don't think Groves was every that great a name, no disrespect to the family and their gift. I wish we had a good nickname like The Couch and The Joel are great. Without that, I don't know how used the name even is outside of media. Did people say "go to a game at Groves" for example? I've always said "go to the Wake game" or "Wake's stadium" more than Groves/BB&T/Truist, and that won't change. This gives the program access to capital, and that's a big positive.

I don't think Groves was every that great a name, no disrespect to the family and their gift. I wish we had a good nickname like The Couch and The Joel are great. Without that, I don't know how used the name even is outside of media. Did people say "go to a game at Groves" for example? I've always said "go to the Wake game" or "Wake's stadium" more than Groves/BB&T/Truist, and that won't change. This gives the program access to capital, and that's a big positive.
I think that it depends on what name you grew up with. For me, I call it Groves because it was Groves Stadium a lot longer than it was BB&T or Truist. But my 15 year old nephew has always called it Truist.

At least now we don't have a football facility with the same name as the WS Dash, the Charlotte Knights, and the Atlanta Braves.

I think that it depends on what name you grew up with. For me, I call is Groves because it was Groves Stadium a lot longer than it was BB&T or Truist. But my 15 year old nephew has always called it Truist.

At least now we don't have a football facility with the same name as the WS Dash, the Charlotte Knights, and the Atlanta Braves.
This might be part of the lack of use of the name in Winston. I always say "The Dash Stadium" instead of Truist because it's confusing as hell here.

I was today years old when I first read the word(?) allegacy. It is a bothersome word. Like moist. I don't think I'm going to enjoy hearing it spoken out loud.

I feel like the people who come up with some of these company names are doing mushrooms and having a bad experience. Not as bad as the ones naming drugs. But bad.

Do we know the actual terms? I may have missed it.

Was holding out hope for Atrium Health WF Baptist.

We could have walled of the whole thing with a giant open-air skylight and called it the Atrium.

I was today years old when I first read the word(?) allegacy. It is a bothersome word. Like moist. I don't think I'm going to enjoy hearing it spoken out loud.

I feel like the people who come up with some of these company names are doing mushrooms and having a bad experience. Not as bad as the ones naming drugs. But bad.
There’s going to be a lot of confusion with all of our games are played at “a legacy stadium “

Which one????

Back