• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF at SYRACUSE, Saturday 3:30 ESPN2

There's nothing wrong with celebrating a great win, and also expressing serious concern about the defense against better teams. I think it's a combination of lack of team speed and poor scheme that puts players out of position and leads to them having to chase down ball carriers (often at poor angles). I've never been a big Hemphill fan, and am unfortunately not confident the appropriate changes will be made to sure things up prior to Army & beyond. Hopefully, I'm very wrong, as this has the potential to be the most special season since 2006, or even ever.

A healthy Greer will help a lot. Andersen seems like a great kid, with great football instincts, but he also looks like a walk-on out there trying to man-cover or tackle good athletes. I wish he could beef up and become the next Masterson (who also struggled mightily against Cuse). Maybe he can eventually.

Clemson's offense has struggled but their defense is great. I don't see Cuse moving the ball very much.

I was not. I find her voice to be annoying and I thought that she and the other commentator were a little bit biased towards Syracuse.
Good grief her pronunciation + accent was miserable. Does her jaw even move when she speaks?

The biggest weakness I've seen out of this team this season has been the ability to slow down QBs who can run well. It seems like we lose contain on the QB and they scramble for 6+ yards way too often. It probably has to do with LB speed/scheme as others have suggested, although I think our DL has not done a great job staying in their rush lanes to prevent easy QB scrambles. Cunningham and Shrader both killed us in that regard. It even happened in the Norfolk State game with their dual threat QB.

Looking ahead, the only QB that is a real threat running the ball left on our schedule is Howell, and he's more of a physical runner than a fast one from what I've seen. Duke's QB runs the ball a decent bit but not for much yardage. Grosel, Uiagalelei, and Leary all don't run the ball much/aren't really threats to do so, which should help our defense out some.

SU was also missing 2 of their top 6 OL for the WF game

SU rushing yards per carry on the season (DeVito was QB for the first few games):

Ohio 6.4
Rutgers 2.2
Albany 6.8
Liberty 4.3
FSU 6.0

pre-WF average 5.2

Wake Forest 6.1

Yeah... but what about the UVA game!!!!111 Unfortunately the defensive performance in C'ville is looking more and more like the outlier even though the d still surrendered over 500 yards of total offense as Armstrong only threw for 400 and 2TD's.

6+ yards per carry on 50+ rushes against a team that struggles throwing the football is piss poor.

Changes need to happen and happen soon on the defensive side of the football or we will look back on this season unfortunately as a huge wasted opportunity.

Because the stats would indicate it was more of a scheme issue than being overpowered physically because we did hold them to 180 yd over like 8 or 9 possessions.

We didn't get physically beat up in the game.

This.

I get that Shrader is a decent athlete, but it was pretty pathetic that he was faster than every single one of our DL and the primary two guys who were spying him in Masterson and Redd. Will give the coaches some credit for putting Garnes on him late.

The speed on this defense compared to the 2006-09 defenses is night and day.

I get that Shrader is a decent athlete, but it was pretty pathetic that he was faster than every single one of our DL and the primary two guys who were spying him in Masterson and Redd. Will give the coaches some credit for putting Garnes on him late.

I get the fact that 4 and 5-star LBs don't grow on trees. I also get it that Wake has to develop talent. But, the lack of speed at our LB position, FOR YEARS, has certainly compromised our defense. No doubt.

100% Aaron Curry, Stanley Arnoux, Abbate, Jyles Tucker, Chip Vaughn, Jeremy Thompson... all of those guys could run. Essentially every defensive player on that team got at least NFL FA look. That said, the 2021 offense is light years ahead of the 2006 offense. Try to keep myself from thinking about this team with Curry, Arnoux and Abbate at LB.

Give me Boogie, Nikita and Duke Ejiafor on the line.

Curry, Abbate and Arnoux at LB

Bates, Kevin Johnson, Phonz, Gattis and Vaughn at DB

FEAST

Clawson, Elko and Grobe on the sidelines. Only doing 2000 team and later(other than Clark)

Wolford at QB
Barclay RB
Ovie FB
Surratt - WR
Greene - WR
Roberson - WR
Desmond Clark - TE
Clabo - OL
Vallos - OL
Zach Tom - OL
Herron - OL

Have to shift one of those tackles inside.

Clawson, Elko and Grobe on the sidelines. Only doing 2000 team and later(other than Clark)

Wolford at QB
Barclay RB
Ovie FB
Surratt - WR
Greene - WR
Roberson - WR
Desmond Clark - TE
Clabo - OL
Vallos - OL
Zach Tom - OL
Herron - OL

Have to shift one of those tackles inside.

If we had Ovie or someone comparable at fb this year, the whining from L'ville about the end of the 1st half would be a moot point.

I forgot which Madden game it was...maybe 03 or 04? But Ovie was like a 92 overall and either the top or second highest rated FB.

Edited to say it was most likely after his pro bowl season, so 2007.

If we had Ovie or someone comparable at fb this year, the whining from L'ville about the end of the 1st half would be a moot point.

Ovie, Rinfrette, Belton, Tommy Bohannon. Any of them would work for me.

Ovie, Rinfrette, Belton, Tommy Bohannon. Any of them would work for me.

IIRC, Bohannon broke the NFL combine record for 225 reps for a RB. Beast. He had a solid 5 year NFL career.

He may still be playing if FBs were more common.

If we could add one player to this team from years past, it would be Aaron Curry and I don’t think it would even be close.

Back