• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Baseball Off-season Thread

The minor league regular season ended yesterday for A and High A; no WF 2023 MLB draftee is playing above High A (Wilken is playing at High A); so, unless a Deacon plays for a minor league playoff team (or gets an AZ Fall League invite), the 2023 baseball season has ended for our 2023 draft class; lots of excellent play and grinding; it has been fun to follow.
Justin Johnson has also been at High A for most of the season. Less success at the plate than Wilken but have seen some replays of nice play in the field from him.

Keener had a nice start for Kannapolis yesterday to end his season.

So are there still playoffs in minors? Or did just no teams with Deacs from this season make it?

Yes, there are playoffs in the minors. Wilken's team did not make it; not sure about Keener's or JJ's team.

Why is that a strange tweet? Reloading a historically good team with elite players from the portal is something to celebrate and lets the casual fan know we are restocking. Teams post about top recruiting rankings all the time and this is more impactful
It's weird because we also had guys transfer out. So, celebrating that a publication thinks we won the transfer portal can be taken to be offensive to the players that transferred away.

I don't think it's that weird and it's certainly a good thing that we did so well reloading talent from the portal, but there was no real need to post something like that. It would have been better to highlight that somebody ranked Burns as the top transfer, Seaver as the Xth best, etc.

So we should be extra sensitive to the players that left the program?

It's weird because we also had guys transfer out. So, celebrating that a publication thinks we won the transfer portal can be taken to be offensive to the players that transferred away.

I don't think it's that weird and it's certainly a good thing that we did so well reloading talent from the portal, but there was no real need to post something like that. It would have been better to highlight that somebody ranked Burns as the top transfer, Seaver as the Xth best, etc.

So would you think this weird if Wake had the #1 recruiting class of incoming freshmen and part of the reason was roster space for those freshmen left by departing transfers?

Part of the reason Wake had spots to fill was because players with remaining eligibility were drafted by professional baseball, signed contracts and did not return to Wake. Is it weird to celebrate Wake getting good players to replace those who went pro before using all college eligibility?

Why is that a strange tweet? Reloading a historically good team with elite players from the portal is something to celebrate and lets the casual fan know we are restocking. Teams post about top recruiting rankings all the time and this is more impactful
Cool. Could have re- tweeted this one three weeks ago, which actually links to the article

meh

Not that many people follow college baseball recruiting and transfer portal adds/losses.

This board essentially attracts the most rabid WF fans. Even so, until this year's CWS run, essentially no one here cared about WF baseball recruiting or the WF baseball transfer portal net gains. How many people here were aware when WF landed Nick Kurtz, Brock Wilken or Rhett Lowder? Or cared when WF landed Sean Sullivan, JJ and Cole Roland through the portal?

There would be less than 20 posts about WF baseball between the end of one season until the start of another (I know because I sadly would post about 17 of those - almost all of which would be ignored as WF baseball was an afterthought in the off-season).

The point of the WF baseball tweet was to inform fans who now support WF baseball, but aren't digging into college baseball recruiting services, to let them know that Deacs have reloaded in the off season (which is fact -- MLB pipeline projected Chase Burns as the #1 overall pick in the 2024 MLB draft -- how big of a story would it have been if Caleb Williams had transferred during football off season? WF landing Burns through the portal is a milestone event for WF sports). The WF baseball tweet was a tool to keep the positive momentum of the program going and keep WF baseball a little farther up the list in people's minds. All a good thing.

The weirdest thing about the tweet is you have to know what BA is or you're like "why is Wake unilaterally declaring themselves the Transfer Portal winner? Did they beat 'Transfer Portal' in an exhibition?"
Correct. They could have instead simply re-tweeted BA’s summary of the article three weeks ago

I mean I didn’t intend to say that Wake Forest should not be publicly bragging about the high quality recruits being brought in by the transfer portal. I just think it’s more effective and less weird to do it on the level of individual players than by making a graphic to say that BA thinks we “won” the transfer portal

Back