• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Baseball Off-season Thread

Obviously a huge get. However, the chances of him ever making it to Winston seem very, very slim. Would be amazing if he did come, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

It seems strange that you would decommit from one program and commit to another if you didn't think there was some chance of enrolling.
Maybe the old gold and black bag was bigger than the red one.

Maybe the old gold and black bag was bigger than the red one.
That's a fair point that has changed the dynamics a bit in terms of kids attending college versus going straight to the minors. Let's hope to see this guy in the Old Gold and Black

Hartle was the top LHH HS prospect coming out of the draft and still landed at Wake. Strange things happen
Of course. I am only trying to temper enthusiasm from people that may not follow college baseball that closely.

But as mentioned, maybe the NIL landscape changes how these decisions are made. One can hope. truthfully, last year's run to the CWS was some of the most fun I've had at Wake sporting events in a long time. that super regional weekend was outstanding. Hoping for more of the same.

The popularity of College Baseball as really changed things. I’ve mentioned before, but many kids are telling Pro Teams they will not sign unless the get at least 7 figures. College food, housing and transportation to games at the D1 level is so much more attractive than lousy busses, leaky hotels and PBJ for dinner.

The popularity of College Baseball as really changed things. I’ve mentioned before, but many kids are telling Pro Teams they will not sign unless the get at least 7 figures. College food, housing and transportation to games at the D1 level is so much more attractive than lousy busses, leaky hotels and PBJ for dinner.
Has the contraction of the minor leagues affected this as well?

How much of a consideration is that for high schoolers that would go in the first couple rounds? Asking honestly.

is there data on the average length of time spent in minors comparing guys out of high school and guys who went to college that were drafted around the same slot?

I know the MiLB has been trying to make strides towards improving conditions for minor leaguers, can’t imagine it’s comparable to the accommodations provided by top level college programs though. If the college game can be seen as a more luxurious substitute for the minors that doesn’t sacrifice $ and big league potential, guys like Dix may start to go the college route more often.

My friend Randy Ingle played/managed in the Braves system for 35 years. I asked him once how many miles he figures he's ridden on a bus. He laughed, and said, "at least a million".

I know the MiLB has been trying to make strides towards improving conditions for minor leaguers, can’t imagine it’s comparable to the accommodations provided by top level college programs though. If the college game can be seen as a more luxurious substitute for the minors that doesn’t sacrifice $ and big league potential, guys like Dix may start to go the college route more often.
I think the recent trend with college guys getting drafted after their junior year and often ending up in High A ball (or even AA, see Wilken) in that same season is a lot more enticing than coming out of high school and ending up in that High A/breaking into AA during the same time frame. It's rare to see someone like a Jackson Holliday skyrocket through the minors by the time they are 21.

Back