• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Baseball Off-season Thread

And baserunning upside.

Thome is among the best power hitters of his generation; so, that's a pretty bold comp from an offensive perspective. That said, Kurtz is a better athlete (as are a lot of baseball prospects that never amount to squat in MLB).

And baserunning upside.

Thome is among the best power hitters of his generation; so, that's a pretty bold comp from an offensive perspective. That said, Kurtz is a better athlete (as are a lot of baseball prospects that never amount to squat in MLB).
Listening to Thome talk hitting is pretty amazing. And yeah, that’s quite a comp.

ETA: Comp came from MLB.com

In looking at our home basketball schedule and our home baseball schedule, it looks like we have Duke at home on Saturday, Feb 24 (time TBA for a TV hold it seems) and the Diamond Deacs scheduled at home on the same date for 2pm. Anyone have any sense on whether the baseball time is flexible so fans could potentially take in both games that day? How have they handled this in the past?

In looking at our home basketball schedule and our home baseball schedule, it looks like we have Duke at home on Saturday, Feb 24 (time TBA for a TV hold it seems) and the Diamond Deacs scheduled at home on the same date for 2pm. Anyone have any sense on whether the baseball time is flexible so fans could potentially take in both games that day? How have they handled this in the past?
Fortunately, the cars and roof at the Joel are safe from Nukes.

It's the middle of a series so travel isn't a consideration. Makes sense to try to get the biggest home crowd of the season over to the Couch afterward.

Had the chance in mid-December to meet with Tom Walter in his office for a while and do a phone interview with Corey Muscara, and am in the early stages of churning out some post-fall ball/season-preview content.

Here's Part I, a general overview for the season.

(it's free but other parts like lineup/pitching projections won't be)
Cool!

Interesting tidbit suggesting the SP order will be Hartle, Burns, Massey. I would have assumed that Hartle/Burns would be flipped

Pretty crazy to lose the second best pitcher in college baseball and be more loaded the next year.

theoretically, putting hartle between burns and massey would be a change of pace for opposing teams. not sure that actually makes a difference though.

I really thought we'd go Burns-Hartle. Hartle seems to be a natural Saturday pitcher...obviously contingent on Burns becoming more consistent.

I really thought we'd go Burns-Hartle. Hartle seems to be a natural Saturday pitcher...obviously contingent on Burns becoming more consistent.

Winning that Friday night game really sets up to win the series. I'm guessing the coaches like Hartle's consistency in that leadoff spot- so to speak.

Winning that Friday night game really sets up to win the series. I'm guessing the coaches like Hartle's consistency in that leadoff spot- so to speak.

That seems like a reasonable explanation. Hartle is a known quantity, Burns is known to be a bit erratic and Massey will be asked to play a much bigger role. That said, Burns as our own Ricky Vaughn-style intimidator on Friday has some appeal as a fan 😆

Back