• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Baseball Off-season Thread

wedding-crashers-vince-vaughn.gif

they have him as our starting RF and primed for a bounceback

Pick to Click: Jake Reinisch. Because of an injury-marred 2023 season that deflated his numbers to .178/.308/.192 in 73 at-bats, Reinisch is very much going under the radar in this lineup, but if he return to his 2022 form, he’ll be a major run producer for Wake Forest. In that 2022 season, he batted .318/.467/.517 with a team-leading 55 walks. Given his quiet 2023 campaign, head coach Tom Walter has compared getting a healthy Reinisch back to picking up a premium bat in the transfer portal.

Yeah I expect Katz and Rhino to be at the corners with Tate rotating around on days he’s not catching. Interested to see who gets more time at DH, maybe Winnay is better in the field and one of the others takes DH as IAI mentioned.

This doesn’t factor in any of the freshmen, which I’m hoping a couple factor in. A couple of them are fast and could really add another dimension if they can get on base.

yeah, agreed on the freshmen. last year was an outlier with the lack of freshmen contributors. would be surprised / disappointed if one freshman (my bets are on nelson, morales, or polledo) doesn't crack the lineup on offense.

also think the bullpen is being a bit undersold for the same reason, even though leffew and morningstar are getting some hype.

Yeah I expect Katz and Rhino to be at the corners with Tate rotating around on days he’s not catching. Interested to see who gets more time at DH, maybe Winnay is better in the field and one of the others takes DH as IAI mentioned.

This doesn’t factor in any of the freshmen, which I’m hoping a couple factor in. A couple of them are fast and could really add another dimension if they can get on base.
Having at least a few freshmen come through will be important late in the season. The starters will get worn down and sustain bumps, bruises, nucks and injuries. Capable, competent reserves will be the dufference between sustained late season success and an early flameout.

Wonder how much we get out of Gervase, the JuCo transfer. Awesome to have a 6’8” pitcher with a funky arm slot for an inning after facing our starters and before you have to go to Roland and/or Falco

Another key to the season is the weekday starter(s) and relievers. Gotta avoid losses to those meh non-conference teams. Wake did well there in 23. Can that be sustained in 24?

Wonder how much we get out of Gervase, the JuCo transfer. Awesome to have a 6’8” pitcher with a funky arm slot for an inning after facing our starters and before you have to go to Roland and/or Falco

he couldn't throw strikes in his brief summer ball stint (11 walks + 4 hbp in 45, so he hit or walked 1/3 of the guys he faced). walter said they spent the entire fall re-doing his delivery though, so who knows.

ben shenosky has been getting some hype and had decent summer stats. also intruiged by hudson lee who had TJ last year.

but i think getting crawford wade back at 100% would probably be the most impactful.

It wasn’t about internal hype for me. It was consistently being in the preseason top 25 and not making the postseason.
Mme was a mix. Polls had us in the top 25 year after year but also Walter consistently made our lineup to be MLB level and “his most talented team yet”

The hype this year has been preceded by the performance of last year. The foundation for preseason expectations has been established.

The hype this year has been preceded by the performance of last year. The foundation for preseason expectations has been established.
Right and that’s my point. There was no precedent set in prior years except for the Gainesville super regional year.

In the years following the Gainesville regional my preseason response to the hype was a Missouri "show me". Last year was "do it again". I'm just going to enjoy the preseason this year. Deacs answered my skepticism twice.

I'm Team Reinisch. My family lives In Clifton Park, NY and i saw his picture in the local bagel spot when i was there for Christmas. So i'm a fan...
Unless he bunts
Yeah, my bad on the nothingburger of an accusation against D1. Glad they've got him in the projected starting lineup because Wake's staff loves what they've seen from him in the past 6-7 months.

anyone traveling to any of the road series this year?
Haven't really considered it, outside of the 2 games in greensboro in February.

UNCG 2/20
NC A&T 2/27

We'll be getting settled into Augusta during the Blacksburg series, but I'd be happy to give recommendations/advice if any of y'all are heading up for those games.

i'm headed to south bend for that series. probably attend more road than home this year. planning on VT and UVA as well. although those probably won't happen since i'll be in DC watching wake in the acc finals (UVA series) then in glendale to see wake in final four (VT series) :)

Back