• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Baseball Off-season Thread

A
Wake is a degree. in most fields it really doesn’t matter where the degree is from. So outside of maybe law school, the Wake degree thing is elitism.

That kid also was in a different…pre NIL environment.
A WF law degree isn’t elite? Just undergrad?

WF is a top tier law school nationally and has been for a long time. In NC, it’s elite.

No. Other way around….I don’t think undergrad degrees matter all that much where they are from for the most part.
If you go to a good grad school, you can overcome a weak undergrad education. But the undergrad always matters.

My point was that Wake is not an elite law school. I'm sure it's a great law school and I have friends who went there who have done quite quite well, but it's not generally considered elite nationally as it's not in the Top 14.

If you go to a good grad school, you can overcome a weak undergrad education. But the undergrad always matters.
hate to say it. undergrad degree is meaningless after the first job or entrance into a specific grad school.

in 25 years no one has given a crap that i went to Wake.

Stay on topic or I'll start issuing suspensions.

Joe Doyle published a few new things this weekend.

He mocks Lowder #5 to Minnesota here.

5. Rhett Lowder, RHP — Wake Forest

The Twins are in such a unique position with the fifth overall pick. They have the fourth-most money to spend in this draft, and they’re sitting behind a team in the Rangers who do not have a second- or third-round pick. Texas has the 16th-biggest bonus pool. The Twins can essentially buy down whatever player they want to this spot. But with how Lowder performed down the stretch, it seems Minnesota is happy with landing a fast-moving arm.

The Twins sat in on the final few weeks of Wake Forest games with multiple scouts on-hand each week. Specifically on Lowder’s starts. It’s possible they were there to see Brock Wilken on a number of occasions and could target him at 34 in Compensatory Round A, but it was an awful lot of heat for a pick later down the board.

Minnesota does like Ole Miss shortstop Jacob Gonzalez, but he’d likely be an under-slot options here. Jenkins is also a buy-down option here.

but has Wilken dropping to the sandwich round, lowest I've seen.

38. Brock Wilken, 3B — Wake Forest

Wilken has a ton of landing spots in this draft and could go as early as the back-half of round one, or as late as the early part of round two. The industry is split on his ability to play third base, but that won’t matter much to the Reds who will welcome his impact bat on either corner of the dirt.

Other plays the Reds have spent considerable time on include Atascocita outfielder Kendall George, Patchogue-Medford RHP Josh Knoth and Round Rock RHP Travis Sykora.

Also a new prospect ranking (there are 614 picks) https://futurestarsseries.com/2023-...-prospects-dylan-crews-max-clark-paul-skenes/

10. Lowder
30. Wilken
70. Sullivan
77. Keener
131. Hawke
144. Minacci
159. McGraw
332. Bennett
560. Lee

i still don't get Tommy Hawke as high as he is. Gives me Nick Madrigal with better speed vibes
I get what you’re saying, but the draft is a crapshoot in some ways. If Hawke makes it to the majors in any form then he’s a success after about the 3rd round.

I get what you’re saying, but the draft is a crapshoot in some ways. If Hawke makes it to the majors in any form then he’s a success after about the 3rd round.
no question. His profile just doesn't seem to fit modern MLB. So even getting to MLB he ends being what? .300 BA and a .750 OPS? That's a meh guy. Hopefully i'm wrong

Had also heard that Brock had dropped in some other projections. One thing that the projections don't take into account is that MLB teams can already start talking about potential deals with players (or more accurately their reps) if they are available at a certain spot in the draft. So, where each player gets drafted is not just a projection of ability, but the economics of the draft.

As mentioned above, each team has a different total bonus pool ceiling amount for the draft, so teams may cut deals below slot deals with players in the early rounds so that the MLB team has extra money to spend on late round players that slipped due to sign-ability concerns. For example, the Blue Jays have the #20 pick in the first round; they may be (probably are) talking to players that they like and who look to be available at that spot to see if any of them will take a below slot deal for the assurance that they will get drafted at #20, and the assurance for the player that he will get a bonus of not less than a certain amount (essentially assuring that they won't slip in the draft and won't get less than a certain amount in bonus money).

Also, there are only 28 first round picks this year. The Dodgers and Mets dropped out of the first round for going 40% over the salary threshold. The Mets first pick is now #32 (instead of #22) and Dodgers first pick is now #36.

Why do teams have different amounts of allowed draft capital?

Why do teams have different amounts of allowed draft capital?

It’s based on the slotted bonus for each pick. The higher the pick, the higher the bonus slot. So it’s just a matter of adding the allocated bonus for each pick a team owns.

Back