• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Baseball Off-season Thread

and has been awful, which is why in current environment Hawke that high surprises me

most guys drafted where hawke is ranked won't even make the big leagues, getting an outcome of nick madrigal's value would be a pretty solid success in the fourth round. you are acting like he's ranked in the top 10.

Had also heard that Brock had dropped in some other projections. One thing that the projections don't take into account is that MLB teams can already start talking about potential deals with players (or more accurately their reps) if they are available at a certain spot in the draft. So, where each player gets drafted is not just a projection of ability, but the economics of the draft.

As mentioned above, each team has a different total bonus pool ceiling amount for the draft, so teams may cut deals below slot deals with players in the early rounds so that the MLB team has extra money to spend on late round players that slipped due to sign-ability concerns. For example, the Blue Jays have the #20 pick in the first round; they may be (probably are) talking to players that they like and who look to be available at that spot to see if any of them will take a below slot deal for the assurance that they will get drafted at #20, and the assurance for the player that he will get a bonus of not less than a certain amount (essentially assuring that they won't slip in the draft and won't get less than a certain amount in bonus money).

Also, there are only 28 first round picks this year. The Dodgers and Mets dropped out of the first round for going 40% over the salary threshold. The Mets first pick is now #32 (instead of #22) and Dodgers first pick is now #36.

Haven't kept up with all the precise rules, but recently both Parker Dunshee and Ben Breazeale were drafted in the top 10 rounds as "senior signs" who get a way underslot signing bonus. Not sure if any rule changes have impacted that, but Pierce Bennett seems like he may be a candidate this draft.

Haven't kept up with all the precise rules, but recently both Parker Dunshee and Ben Breazeale were drafted in the top 10 rounds as "senior signs" who get a way underslot signing bonus. Not sure if any rule changes have impacted that, but Pierce Bennett seems like he may be a candidate this draft.
It still happens. It's kind of like Pierce is more likely to land in rounds 8-10 than 11-15, and then kind of a crapshoot if somebody takes him after that.

Trivia question:

Tommy Hawke didn't assume the role of WF's primary lead-off hitter until more than halfway through last season (2022). Who was WF primary lead-off hitter for the first half of the 2022 season?

Yep. Kurtz. Costello started the first couple, and Bennett got a couple starts, but Kurtz hit leadoff for more than a month, before WF settled on Hawke at leadoff. BTW, Nick had some monster games at the leadoff spot, including a 6 for 8 against GT.

(lurker)

There is some sadistic and self-serving (and sometimes self-deprecating) "Wake/NC at large" thinking involved in all of these transfer and portal opportunities and message board responses. Full disclosure, I dropped WAKE like a bad habit when they didn't offer me scholarship money for law school, and I am approaching year 15 of donating to my law school.

If I recall Uter was expected to do more than flame out in A-ball. I followed him in low A-ball just as I do for any heralded Red Sox prospect. It doesn't always compute.

He shot his shot. He flamed. Hard to fault a parent for allowing a kid to follow his dream and to play in the Dodgers organization. Seems to have built a nice situation for himself. Buy him a beer and make him a Deac fan moving forward.
Remembering Red Sox minor league prospects who flamed out is one of my favorite pastimes. Lars Anderson, Craig Hansen, Casey Kelly (gave up a scholarship to Tennessee), Drake Britton, Ryan Kalish, Anthony Ranaudo, Justin Masterson.

Who were some of your favorites?

Remembering Red Sox minor league prospects who flamed out is one of my favorite pastimes. Lars Anderson, Craig Hansen, Casey Kelly (gave up a scholarship to Tennessee), Drake Britton, Ryan Kalish, Anthony Ranaudo, Justin Masterson.

Who were some of your favorites?

Justin Masterson made an all star game. Definitely not the same as those other guys.

To follow up on folks above in a, hopefully, clear way. Where you are drafted does not necessarily equate to where you rank on the board. You could go top-10 when folks are projecting you 40th because you say you’ll take $100k instead of $3 mil. That frees up a team to take a lot of higher profile guys because they can pay a larger bonus.

Parental malpractice not to get the Wake diploma for free unless he didn’t like football and/or couldn’t also play baseball at Wake.
Not really. Can always go back for degree and also build that in to a signing contract. Can’t go back on the young talent level one has at that moment to make it possibly into the pros. Plus get the signing bonus.

Interesting read: The Chances of a Drafted Baseball Player Making the Major Leagues: A Quantitative Study

Here's the conclusion: The overall takeaway from this study is that, in the top five rounds, generally college players are much more valuable picks than high school players and college position players are more valuable than college pitchers. In the top five rounds, college players not only have a greater chance than high school players of making the major leagues and playing in the major leagues more than three years, but also more college players sign in proportion to high school players.

Ironically takes data from Rounds 1-20 between 1996-2011, when the draft was 50 rounds. This year's is the third year that it's only going to be 20 rounds (I think that'll be the case moving forward, not sure though).

I've long thought drafted HS pitchers should sign unless they're lowballed because of how frequently arms burn out.
Plus a couple other things. Some kids just aren’t made for more school/college and don’t need more time in the classroom. Second, baseball is a long grind to the bigs. At least 3-4 years so you have to start to get that chance. Unlike baskets & football where you start out straight at the top (although basketball does have G League entry now with two-way contract), you have to wind your way up thru the levels and very few do.

There are about 750 active MLB players. (975 on opening day rosters) There are about 620 young men drafted by MLB each season. Untold others signed free agent. That’s pretty tough math.

Back