• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Baseball Off-season Thread

LSU just hired Texas A&M’s pitching coach. I’d assume that’s the most likely destination here

also I hate to be that guy but maybe we shouldn't be posting for an entire page about Red Sox prospects here

I don't want apetit to ban me

(last one: I was just looking through old drafts to make sure my memory wasn't deceiving me about drafting Ryan Lavarnway and Tim Fedorowicz in back to back rounds, and I remembered that bonus babies used to be a thing in the pre-slot wild west days of the draft, and that the Sox took gambles in '07 on Yasmani Grandal and Nick Tepesch out of HS, signing neither)

Baldelli was a WF signee, so I'll allow it.

Obviously when you have the chance to follow the coach who hasn't helped you reach your potential, you have to do it.
Meh. You’re not wrong, but I don’t think that’s really how things like this work.

We’re also going to have a lot of HYPOCRITES on this board regarding transfer portal tampering if we land a kid that we heard whispers about before he was even officially in the portal.

Whatever happened to the great hitting catchers? Where is the next Pudge or Mauer or Piazza? Would Bryce Harper been more well received if he had remained a catcher? Jonah Heim is very well liked in Texas, and I can only think his adoration is added to by his position.

Whatever happened to the great hitting catchers? Where is the next Pudge or Mauer or Piazza? Would Bryce Harper been more well received if he had remained a catcher? Jonah Heim is very well liked in Texas, and I can only think his adoration is added to by his position.
MLB teams realized that catchers actually being good at defense (beyond throwing runners out) is important

Murphy seems promising.

is sullivan's thought that if he's not drafted high enough he would be a starter next season for wake?

i know crews has the stats... but i gotta say, i was not blown away by him in the CWS

i'd take skenes
Not blown away by Crews either as some sure fire homerun. Like Skenes or the Florida guy better.

Would sure guess Sullivan would be a weekend starter if back next season given he was one for the majority of this year before the minor injury had him miss a few starts and return in a bullpen role.

honestly, I think most bat-first catching prospects are either moved off of the position (due to teams valuing the bat enough that they don't want it to be limited to ~400 at bats a season, at a position where their careers are on a short clock), or the physical demand of the position causes some wild fluctuation in offensive production (the Jarred Saltalamacchias and Taylor Teagardens and Adam Moores of the world)

and that's before you account for players' bats not translating well to the majors for whatever reason (the Jesus Monteros and Chance Siscos of the world)

I think if you told me that my favorite MLB team had a can't-miss hitting prospect and I got to pick the position they played, catcher would be my absolute last choice

it really sucks that the Orioles have had two in the last decade plus now

honestly, I think most bat-first catching prospects are either moved off of the position (due to teams valuing the bat enough that they don't want it to be limited to ~400 at bats a season, at a position where their careers are on a short clock), or the physical demand of the position causes some wild fluctuation in offensive production (the Jarred Saltalamacchias and Taylor Teagardens of the world)

and that's before you account for players' bats not translating well to the majors for whatever reason (the Jesus Monteros and Chance Siscos of the world)
Salty and Teagarden, two more great guys to remember.

It’s absolutely about not burning out good young hitters at a position that is so physically demanding. You instead hear about guys with good arms but slow bats and no position getting shifted to catcher.

if you were the Pirates GM would you take Skenes or Crews?

if you were the Pirates GM would you take Skenes or Crews?

Probably Skenes. I’ve never seen someone throw like that so easily, but I’d be thrilled to grab Crews at number 2. He’s got great athleticism and tremendous bat to ball skills, with plenty of room to grow into more pop.

Back