• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Baseball Off-season Thread

if you were the Pirates GM would you take Skenes or Crews?
saw this week that Kiley McDaniel ranks Wyatt Langford first, so

if it were me I'd probably take Crews over Skenes (TINSTAAP, and everything), though Langford and Walker Jenkins would give me some pause

saw this week that Kiley McDaniel ranks Wyatt Langford first, so

if it were me I'd probably take Crews over Skenes (TINSTAAP, and everything), though Langford and Walker Jenkins would give me some pause

What worries me about taking any pitcher is the injury. At some point I just assume Skenes will have arm problems…that scares me. But damn he throws so easily that I’d have to take the chance.

What worries me about taking any pitcher is the injury. At some point I just assume Skenes will have arm problems…that scares me. But damn he throws so easily that I’d have to take the chance.

so, TINSTAAP, yes

Skenes is super impressive live, and watching him reminds me of amateur/minors Strasburg just in terms of how electric he is batter to batter. it's once-in-a-few-years kinda stuff, to be sure. but it's sort of important to remember what happened next with Strasburg (or with, say, David Price, or with Dylan Bundy, or with [insert name of top 5 pitching prospect here])

and, y'know, it's not like he's head and shoulders above the rest of the class from a FV perspective; this appears to be a pretty solid class at the top. you're getting a 60 FV guy whether you take Skenes, Crews, or Langford (probably can slip Jenkins in that tier, too), so I personally would just take one of the hitters and call it a day

so, TINSTAAP, yes

Skenes is super impressive live, and watching him reminds me of amateur/minors Strasburg just in terms of how electric he is batter to batter. it's once-in-a-few-years kinda stuff, to be sure. but it's sort of important to remember what happened next with Strasburg (or with, say, David Price, or with Dylan Bundy, or with [insert name of top 5 pitching prospect here])

and, y'know, it's not like he's head and shoulders above the rest of the class from a FV perspective; this appears to be a pretty solid class at the top. you're getting a 60 FV guy whether you take Skenes, Crews, or Langford (probably can slip Jenkins in that tier, too), so I personally would just take one of the hitters and call it a day

I wouldn’t argue it at all.

If he is Strasburg or Price I’d bet the Pirates would settle for the short career. Lord knows Price was worth it for the Rays.

Probably Skenes. I’ve never seen someone throw like that so easily, but I’d be thrilled to grab Crews at number 2. He’s got great athleticism and tremendous bat to ball skills, with plenty of room to grow into more pop.
i read somewhere that his dad used to throw him ping pong balls and he would swing a broom stick. You just never know what quirky thing you do growing up, would be so beneficial down the road.

You all are crazy about Dylan Crews. He’s the real deal
Never said he wasn’t good…just not a slam dunk obvious #1 to me over Skenes or Langford…and note that is based on CWS only which is the only games I have ever seen any of them play.

If I were the Pirates GM, I would be working for an ownership group not really interested in winning, so I'd take the player I could sign for the lowest amount of money

MLB.com has prospect top 100s going back to 2011, so I went and pulled all the pitchers they ranked in top 20s (arbitrary, but whatever) from 2011-2017, and hoo boy, that list is a who's who of elbow wastelands

I was gonna categorize them or rank them or something, but honestly it got depressing real quick

Last edited:
Never said he wasn’t good…just not a slam dunk obvious #1 to me over Skenes or Langford…and note that is based on CWS only which is the only games I have ever seen any of them play.
I don't know how a dozen at bats across 3 games could convince anyone that any player is a slam dunk #1 overall draft pick, but hey, you do you

based solely on games i watched, i believe thatcher hurd is going to pitch approximately four hundred major league innings per season and never give up a single run

the pirates should select him with every draft pick they own

Good pub for Lowder and for the Lab

MLB.com has prospect top 100s going back to 2011, so I went and pulled all the pitchers they ranked in top 20s (arbitrary, but whatever) from 2011-2017, and hoo boy, that list is a who's who of elbow wastelands

I was gonna categorize them or rank them or something, but honestly it got depressing real quick
Share the link

Yesterday I looked at the 2017 first rounders. Still time for things to change, but the position players did not look any better than the pitchers.

Believe the old saying is that the only way to guaranty a ‘can’t miss’ pitching prospect is to start with five ‘can’t miss’ pitching prospects

Crews is apparently asking for more than the $1 slot value of $9.721 mil. Sounds like he just doesn’t want to be a Pirate!

Crews is apparently asking for more than the $1 slot value of $9.721 mil. Sounds like he just doesn’t want to be a Pirate!
Boras wants Crews in DC. Boras has bragged in the past about being the de facto Nats GM.

Even with the pitcher risk I think I would take Skenes at #1. You just do not see someone like that in the draft often.

Back