• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Baseball Off-season Thread

I think the 2 biggest keys right now are getting Tommy Hawke back for a final season, landing a couple stud pitchers like Chase Burns and maybe another proven starter on a tourney team. I love all the other pieces we've brought in.

An infield of Gill, Kurtz, Seaver King, Houston and hopefully Justin Johnson is borderline elite.

Let's get Hawke back in CF and figure out the other outfield spots.

Pitch staff of Hartle, Burns(crossing fingers), Massey, Roland, Crum, Ariola is VERY good. Icing on the cake if a guy like Sullivan comes back.

Are we we thinking if we don't bring in any other infield studs that we have Winnay at 3rd and King at 2nd, especially if JJ doesn't come back? Obviously SS and 1ST is accounted for.

Are we we thinking if we don't bring in any other infield studs that we have Winnay at 3rd and King at 2nd, especially if JJ doesn't come back? Obviously SS and 1ST is accounted for.
Tommy’s brother can play 2B I believe, so it could be him there and King at 3B as another option

Also I think we should cool it on the Burns talk. It would be amazing if it happens, but that’s the best transfer on the market, it’s not some failure if we don’t land him

i think if we can get one weekend starter, our pitching will be fine. that could be burns, liam doyle from ccu or someone else in the portal or sullivan coming back to school.

our crop of incoming freshmen pitchers is exceptionally good and should contribute next year.

offense has a lot more holes, imo.

we have a few guys we can reliably count on:
+kurtz
+houston
+king
+gill
+reinisch (perhaps arguable after last season)

and then a bunch of question marks. for example, are we gonna count on chris katz or jack winnay? i do think we will end up with one reliable starter from the freshman class, probably cam nelson. but could definitely use some returnees (johnson, bennett, costello) or big transfer names.

i think some of the current transfers (hawke, ballestero, salvino) may contribute in spot roles, but none of them have the track record to where we can count on them as everyday players imo.

overall between transfers and unexpected returns, i think we need at least two more everyday guys to feel comfortable.

Last edited:
Just for speculation, which do y’all think is more likely? Sullivan returning or burns transferring in?

tom walter (known prognosticator) estimated a 15% chance of sullivan returning. gotta think chance of landing burns is higher than that if we are among a small number of schools he is considering.

i’m not expecting either, but i do think we will a good arm or two from the portal, whoever it ends up being (my money is on doyle from ccu)

Again, pretty sure JJ is done if he gets any sort of money.
1688832507018.png

Well, the bottom scroll showed Skenes to Pittsburgh before they announced it on the air.

Happy that Skenes will not be in the NL east, for at least a few years.

Manfred is an awful commissioner, who keeps making dumb decisions.
Agreed, but I'm guessing this isn't about the extra innings runner on 2nd. I guess he'll try to head them off by dropping Seattle references all night.

Back