• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Baseball Off-season Thread

He's really going to take next to no (I assume) signing bonus to forgo another year of a Wake education and travel to small towns in 1A or rookie ball? The top 10 round guys I get, but unless the Phillies make him a more compelling offer than expected, why would he go? Surely he thinks he can play his way into a higher pick next year (and work towards a masters degree)?

I don't really get the MLB draft.

He's really going to take next to no (I assume) signing bonus to forgo another year of a Wake education and travel to small towns in 1A or rookie ball? The top 10 round guys I get, but unless the Phillies make him a more compelling offer than expected, why would he go? Surely he thinks he can play his way into a higher pick next year (and work towards a masters degree)?

The higher pick next year won’t necessarily matter. He’ll have next to no leverage. So he won’t be signing for any additional money and will be a year behind in the system.

Bennett is 22, and has spent 4 years at WF. Age is an important factor for MLB teams. Doubtful that Bennett would go much higher if at all in the 2024 draft at age 23. Really rare for 5th year seniors to get an MLB look, as there are years of development before players make it to the bigs after they are drafted.

And as stated above, even if Bennett is drafted in 2024, an MLB team will offer him essentially nothing to sign because Bennett would have zero leverage as a 5th year senior. In the 2022 draft, there was one 23-year-old player who was taken in the 20th round. His signing bonus was $5K.

I’m sure Wake would rather spend his scholarship money on someone younger and likely going to be around longer.

Tennessee was the fourth team in our CWS Bracket and they had 8 guys drafted. So, 39 players drafted in WF's side of the CWS bracket.

On the other side of the bracket:

ORU - 4
UVA - 4
TCU - 4
UF - 6

18 on the other side.

Is there a reason everyone thinks Roland will be back? Is that expected with him not getting drafted? That’s an awful lot of college

I think the thing that gives me hope with Roland is that while it’s a lot of college (more than I could take), it hasn’t been a ton of baseball. Think this was only his second full year of playing.

And it would just be cool to have a 25 year old psychotic ANIMAL on the bump for us so he should want to do it for the vibes alone.

Tennessee was the fourth team in our CWS Bracket and they had 8 guys drafted. So, 39 players drafted in WF's side of the CWS bracket.

On the other side of the bracket:

ORU - 4
UVA - 4
TCU - 4
UF - 6

18 on the other side.

The little league side of the bracket.

Is Roland playing on a summer team? Would seem to indicate that he’s coming back

Is there a reason everyone thinks Roland will be back? Is that expected with him not getting drafted? That’s an awful lot of college
the thing with Cole is if he plays his cards right and Deacs are as good as we hope he could possibly market himself to make some money via social media with all his hyped up antics? He started to get some attention on YouTube at end of last season and feels like there are some possibilities there If he keeps the mo up. And if he does have a great season could top it off getting drafted. He definitely seems to enjoy the game….

walter said roland would be back if not drafted and him playing summer ball are both strong signs, but an UDFA deal is always possible. if he didn’t get drafted this year not sure what he’ll be able to do to get into the pro picture a year from now.

i’m gonna pencil him into for next year

Back