• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Baseball Off-season Thread

On WF's current roster Marek Houston, JJ, Danny Corona all played SS in high school. Unless you are left-handed or a pig like Tommy White, every stud college caliber HS baseball player is going to play SS in HS.
Like HS QBs outside of big high schools.

here are the pg rankings https://www.perfectgame.org/College/CollegeCommitments.aspx?Grad=2022&college=1848

no top 100 guys (who are iffy to make it to campus), but overall looks pretty solid.

our top 100 guys from the past 10 years:

'22 - lowe (mlb)
'21 - hartle
'21 - heubeck (mlb)
'20 - miller (mlb)
'20 - wilken
'18 - lavigne (mlb)
'15 - whitley (mlb)
'15 - aiello

looking through while obviously not perfect, pg's hs rankings are pretty dang good
For those not familiar, kids who get a "10" PG Rating usually get drafted somewhere. Now many kids will tell MLB Scouts they are only going to sign if they go in the first "X" rounds. Those guys then don't get drafted at all because why waste a 7th round pick on a kid who you know won't sign etc.

And don't forget PG is pay for play. The more showcases you participate in the higher your rating usually. I've seen kids who are clearly 9 or 10 caliber kids get rated 8 or 8.5 becasue they do one PG showcase and then spend the majority of time at Prep Baseball Report Showcases.

Our personal experience was that Perfect Game uses the kids to promote their brand, while PBR used their brand to promote the kids. That could be different by region I'm sure, but that's what we saw with various players

BUT we haven't talked about NIL at all. not sure if we have any big baseball benefactors for NIL, but that could really change the math.

here are bonus slot values: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2023-mlb-draft-bonus-pools-slot-values-for-each-team/

if the guys like college life, wonder if we can make it worth it to stay vs. taking a $300k bonus and living in a motel on the road
Between keeping coaches, a hitting lab, and NIL, Wake is going to need to come up with $ for baseball in the near future.

Between keeping coaches, a hitting lab, and NIL, Wake is going to need to come up with $ for baseball in the near future.
I think they already have. The facilities investments are no joke. I also think that baseball alumni have done pretty well for themselves financially over the years.

I think they already have. The facilities investments are no joke. I also think that baseball alumni have done pretty well for themselves financially over the years.

Baseball appears to be very well funded. We're going to stay good for awhile! :)

Couch's $4M gift was announced in 2015, you could probably go back to him about another commitment. I would be about what, $2.75M annually or less in total to cover the scholarship gap for the entire roster? That investment alone would lock in some really good baseline success. It seems like the cost of attendance in a sport that is woefully short on scholarships has been a massive barrier to success here at Wake. It's not a coincidence that Wake's roster features a majority of kids from high wealth areas. Open up the recruiting pool and see what happens.

WF apparently has highly regarded catcher coming via the portal

anyone know anything more about this?

i haven't seen him on draft boards, but bennett lee feels to me like one of those jeff mathis / tomas nido types who is going to flummox fans by sticking around in the bigs for years despite having an OPS in the .500s because of his defense and leadership. his offensive production is also good enough to where i think he could get drafted decently high, though keep in mind i really have no clue.

somewhat related, not sure it was posted that brendan tinsman retired after struggling in the minors. despite having an amazing senior year he was one of the last players drafted last season and got a $25k bonus.

anyone know anything more about this?

i haven't seen him on draft boards, but bennett lee feels to me like one of those jeff mathis / tomas nido types who is going to flummox fans by sticking around in the bigs for years despite having an OPS in the .500s because of his defense and leadership. his offensive production is also good enough to where i think he could get drafted decently high, though keep in mind i really have no clue.

somewhat related, not sure it was posted that brendan tinsman retired after struggling in the minors. despite having an amazing senior year he was one of the last players drafted last season and got a $25k bonus.
Tinsman hit 24 homers his senior year (I think). I looked recently and he didn’t even hit 1 in his whole minor league career. Baffling.

It seems like our infield is set but are we for sure penciling in Corona at 2nd and King at 3rd? Could it be the other way around?

Just thinking about the reports of King's athleticism and how nice it was to have Johnson's ss ability at 2nd this year. And Corona just looks like more of a 3b to me even though I know he's played mainly 2nd for us, but that doesn't mean anything.

If they both have ss arms, I'm cool either way.

That is elite. Last year, McGraw, Lowder and Wilken were invited (maybe Kurtz too), and Lowder and McGraw made it. Tells you how good Seaver King is.

just recalled that last summer I took my kids to see Team USA play a game at the DBAP because Rhett Lowder and (I think) Brock Wilken were on the team. Totally forgot I did that since I wasn't following the baseball team that much at the time.

My 7 year old is going to be PUMPED if we get to see Nicky Nukes play this summer

Couch's $4M gift was announced in 2015, you could probably go back to him about another commitment. I would be about what, $2.75M annually or less in total to cover the scholarship gap for the entire roster? That investment alone would lock in some really good baseline success. It seems like the cost of attendance in a sport that is woefully short on scholarships has been a massive barrier to success here at Wake. It's not a coincidence that Wake's roster features a majority of kids from high wealth areas. Open up the recruiting pool and see what happens.
Really good thought. This is not a sport where sustained success is unattainable for schools like Wake. Just look at Vanderbilt and TCU-two very similarly situated programs. I think you are looking at operating budgets there about 2-2.5M above ours. There’s your incremental gap to fund.

Very appreciative of David. No idea what level of annual support he provides (guessing it is not nominal). Notwithstanding, if two million bucks a year is what it takes to make this a national program to be proud of (and that is what we want) it is up to all of us, not just David, to pitch in. Our fans have the resources-as evidenced by the $35,000 we spent on Jell-O shots last week alone!

Not sure if want quicker player at 3rd or 2nd (assuming 3rd since hot corner) but would assume King goes there as Danny doesn’t overwhelm with speed/quickness at this point in his career.

guessing it's better for the guys to be training with team USA rather than getting reps in at Cape Cod?

Any idea when we know who would make the Team USA roster? There is a game next weekend in Durham and I'll definitely get tickets and go if we can see some of our guys

It seems like our infield is set but are we for sure penciling in Corona at 2nd and King at 3rd? Could it be the other way around?

Just thinking about the reports of King's athleticism and how nice it was to have Johnson's ss ability at 2nd this year. And Corona just looks like more of a 3b to me even though I know he's played mainly 2nd for us, but that doesn't mean anything.

If they both have ss arms, I'm cool either way.
looks like King may be a bit erratic in the field, .927 fielding percentage last year. Now i don't know how great Wingate's field is but they are an elite DII program so i assume it's solid.

Marek was .957 and JJ was .970 for comparison

guessing it's better for the guys to be training with team USA rather than getting reps in at Cape Cod?

Any idea when we know who would make the Team USA roster? There is a game next weekend in Durham and I'll definitely get tickets and go if we can see some of our guys
The Collegiate National Team Training Camp begins on June 23, with the first game of the Stars vs. Stripes series scheduled for June 25 at the USA Baseball National Training Complex in Cary, North Carolina. A final 26-man roster will then be selected to compete in a pair of five-game series against Chinese Taipei and Japan, with games taking place across the Carolinas from June 30-July 12.

The Stars and Stripes games are through the 28th, so I’m guessing the 29th.

yeah, looking at this schedule guessing we'll know the roster before the game in Cary on 6/30 so I'll know whether to buy tickets in Durham on 7/1

looks like King may be a bit erratic in the field, .927 fielding percentage last year. Now i don't know how great Wingate's field is but they are an elite DII program so i assume it's solid.

Marek was .957 and JJ was .970 for comparison
What is your impression on the way fielding deficiencies are handled at our level? Just reps every day until you collapse?

Back