• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Baseball Off-season Thread

Agree...good interview. Pretty open about King and Tellier...and acknowledges we're talking to a "big fish RF in the portal" that we played against in Omaha.
interesting he refers to Braden as a RF and not pitcher. No surprise there.

I was also surprised he said Massey is a weekend starter. I figured he would give coach speak and not answer. That's going to be another stout rotation. The first question I gave Kyle was about Braden. We both laughed and said Walter will not say anything.

really cool interview. it seems like walter is always willing to answer a question earnestly, though his credibility is questionable. e.g. even in that interview, he said cecere and bennett were four year starters, which is not true.

interesting that based on his expectations and reading the tea leaves a bit, we have king penciled in at 2b with tellier's position based on whether winnay can win the 3b job or not. obviously so much could happen in the next seven months.

wessinger also confirmed as 3rd paid assistant

Last edited:
Sounds like competition at a high level for multiple positions. Also, from the portal recruiting, Walter and staff seem pretty comfortable with the young guys as their options in the outfield.

Agree on the interview. Was good info. One thing I didn’t hear but could have missed while multi tasking for a few minutes was an update on Kurtz and his recovery from his injury since it kept him out of Team USA and the Cape. Was anything said about him?

I failed on the Kurtz question. I also meant to ask about Katz but forgot.

somehow landing montgomery seems like it would round out the roster
Lots of discussion on the other board about the timing of the podcast reference to Montgomery and seemingly more recent input from Les that Montgomery is likely returning to Stanford and Wake is done with transfers.

Lots of discussion on the other board about the timing of the podcast reference to Montgomery and seemingly more recent input from Les that Montgomery is likely returning to Stanford and Wake is done with transfers.
The podcast timing was me and Kyle talking at the golf course. I brought it up and said I knew Walter would not answer. Kyle said he knew he would not answer but he would definitely ask. There was no motive other than 2 guys shooting the shit at a golf course.

The podcast timing was me and Kyle talking at the golf course. I brought it up and said I knew Walter would not answer. Kyle said he knew he would not answer but he would definitely ask. There was no motive other than 2 guys shooting the shit at a golf course.
The timing question is when did Kyle talk to / record with Walter?

Finally see the details on Pierce Bennett signing....much better than I was expecting for the next to last player picked....more than JJ 10 rounds ahead.

1690477020983blob.png
Also, see that Wilken is now playing in games for the Brewers rookie team in Arizona. 1-4 in 2 games. Only Wake guy I found so far actually playing.

Finally see the details on Pierce Bennett signing....much better than I was expecting for the next to last player picked....more than JJ 10 rounds ahead.

View attachment 4612
Also, see that Wilken is now playing in games for the Brewers rookie team in Arizona. 1-4 in 2 games. Only Wake guy I found so far actually playing.
Good for Pierce. That’s a decent signing bonus for the 20th round.

one of the oddities about the mlb draft and how it deals with slot money is that the average signing bonus (for players who sign) is much higher for guys drafted in the 20th round vs. guys drafted in the 10th round

Back