• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Baseball Off-season Thread

I don’t buy into the whole curse thing, but this is a bit too much confidence for me as a Wake fan

Agreed. Some of ya'll act like Alabama football fans. Haven't you been Wake fans long enough to know good things never happen to us?

Nice, we are up to 6, maybe 7. Need a couple more to make this happen. Otherwise I guess I've got to start calling around to Winston-Salem area car dealerships who may have bought a table, since otherwise RTQ doesn't seem to want our money.

Hi! Are you still looking for a table / tickets to the event? Feel free to PM me.

I plan to have a big crowd for the Clemson at Wake game. Fans on both sides (all of us are local to Winston). We want to tailgate with tents, beers, food, etc. That's allowed, right? If so, which lot is best for folks parking on their own and meeting up? I went to the Coastal Game last year and really didn't notice tailgating.

I plan to have a big crowd for the Clemson at Wake game. Fans on both sides (all of us are local to Winston). We want to tailgate with tents, beers, food, etc. That's allowed, right? If so, which lot is best for folks parking on their own and meeting up? I went to the Coastal Game last year and really didn't notice tailgating.

allowed and encouraged.

we've found that it's easiest to tailgate in the lower parking lot.

you'll have no problem finding a good corner for your set up.

#1 ranked portal class by D1baseball

We conclude today with with the transfer classes we rank as the five best: Wake Forest, LSU, Tennessee, Texas A&M and Florida State.

1. Wake Forest

Wake Forest

THE HEADLINERS: Chase Burns, formerly of Tennessee, was the biggest name among pitchers in the transfer portal. After excelling as a reliever late last season for the Volunteers, Wake Forest plans to move him back to the rotation, where his elite stuff, led by a high-90s fastball and a wipeout slider, could make him one of the most effective starting pitchers in the country, just as he was as a freshman two seasons ago. Seaver King was a late bloomer, which is part of how he ended up at Division II Wingate (N.C.) to begin his career, but after growing significantly in terms of size and strength and putting up huge numbers over two seasons for the Bulldogs, he appears ready for superstardom. He excelled both with Team USA and in the Cape Cod League over the summer, showcasing elite hand speed, excellent plate discipline and pull-side power offensively and plenty of athleticism, arm strength and speed defensively. He could be a fit at second base or in center field for the Deacs.

Seaver-King-2.jpeg
Seaver King (Wingate Athletics)
CONTRIBUTORS: David Falco, a transfer righthander from Maryland, should earn important bullpen innings right away. He had a 3.84 ERA in 98.1 innings over three seasons with the Terrapins. He’ll use a low-90s fastball, a high-80s cutter and a slider in the low 80s. Adam Tellier is a transfer who played shortstop for Ball State but will slide over to third base at Wake Forest. He has excellent range for the hot corner and more than enough arm strength to play the position. Offensively, he’s coming off of batting .317/.395/.515 with nine home runs for a BSU team that reached regionals. St. John’s transfer Tate Ballestero is likely to be an everyday player who sees time at catcher, corner outfield and DH. After beginning his career at Virginia, Ballestero came into his own with the Red Storm, batting .333/.427/.483 in 2022 and .288/.413/.513 in 2023. North Carolina transfer infielder Austin Hawke, the brother of former Wake Forest star outfielder Tommy Hawke, is the favorite to play second base if King ends up in center field. He stands out for his advanced defensive skills, which would help contribute to the Demon Deacons being a high-end defensive infield all the way around.

-Joe Healy

Last edited:
Awesome. Not a fan (as in despise) pretty much all of the other baseball programs/athletic departments on that top 5 list.

The Playground was packed for Forbes show last night.

It got me wondering if it's time for the baseball program to have a similar official broadcast.

Only problem is that there aren’t many off days during baseball season. Thursday is typically an off day for baseball, but the team will be on the road half the time when the ACC slate starts. Maybe every other week?

Will be interested to see the attendance for the opener. In the past, empty seats dominate February WF baseball (which is understandable given the weather), but it may be a different story in 2024.

Understand WF upgraded the scoreboard. Any other enhancements to the Couch for 2024?

Will be interested to see the attendance for the opener. In the past, empty seats dominate February WF baseball (which is understandable given the weather), but it may be a different story in 2024.

Understand WF upgraded the scoreboard. Any other enhancements to the Couch for 2024?
I bet a few more people are there early season, but it's not going to be hundreds more than normal.

February baseball has both the weather and opponent going against it as far as crowd size goes. Not too many people are going to care about seeing Wake destroy Binghamton when it's 80 degrees out, and way less will when it's 40 degrees out.

Agreed. College baseball weather can be rough. My wife is already complaining about the likely conditions opening weekend-not to mention it means she will be spending her birthday at the ballpark!

Back