• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Baseball

Unlikely to sweep Virginia this weekend.....getting to .500 would be quite sweet though. Then maybe get hot next week in Greensboro....

Looking at standings I think we would have to take 2 from UVa and hope UNC is swept at FSU and Duke at Miami. GT and Maryland have finished ACC schedule and UM has 15 wins, GT 14. We have 13.

Looking at standings I think we would have to take 2 from UVa and hope UNC is swept at FSU and Duke at Miami. GT and Maryland have finished ACC schedule and UM has 15 wins, GT 14. We have 13.

Have to for what?

We need to stay ahead of State and Pitt. Highly doubtful we get more than 1 from UVA. Most likely a sweep which sucks because Pitt and State have favorable series to end the season.

Duke just got swept by Miami & FSU took 2 of 3 from UNC-Ch this past weekend. This coming weekend Duke is at FSU & UNC-Ch is at Miami. So sweeps are possible by the home teams. That would make Duke 15-15 & UNC-Ch 14-16. With both at 30-21 overall right now, sweeps could really knock their NCAA chances for a loop. Clemson hosting BC is being helped by that scheduling.

I may be wrong but I don't see us in a tie breaker situation unless we get to 15....others better educated may add something.....

Here is how I understand the ACC baseball standings, the tiebreakers and the scenarios involving WF (all of which may be wrong):

- The top 10 teams based upon ACC record make the tourney, regardless of division.
- Right now, WF is sitting in the #8 spot with a 13-14 record (the ACC standings regardless of division are set forth below)
- Depending on the outcome of the games this weekend, WF could finish as high as #4 seed or could be left out as the #11 seed.
- WF has the toughest matchup of any ACC team playing #1 in the nation, UVA to close out the season.

The standings:

1. Miami 22-5
2. UVA 21-6
3. FSU 19-8
4. Duke 15-12
5. MD 15-14
6. UNC 14-13
7. Clemson 13-13
8. WF 13-14
9. GT 14-16
10. State 11-16
11. Pitt 11-16
12. BC 9-18
13. VT 8-19
14. ND 6-21

ND and VT have been eliminated from the ACC tourney. MD and GT are done with their ACC regular season. The remaining 3 game series are: WF/UVA Pitt/ND State/VT Duke/FSU BC/Clemson UNC/Miami. WF wins the tiebreaker against GT and loses the tiebreaker against State, Duke and UNC (there are no tiebreakers with Clemson and MD because they played 1 less game than everyone else due to a rain-out). Got to assume that Clemson will win at least 2 against BC. So, WF locks up a tourney berth win one win against UVA as it wins the tiebreaker with GT (unless both Pitt and State sweep, not sure how the ACC would break a four-way tie for 8th with 1 team being eliminated, but would guess that WF would find some way to get screwed out of the tournament). If WF gets swept by UVA, WF needs either State or Pitt to lose at least 2 games in their upcoming series. Knowing WF, this likely will come down to the last game of the season, and the final inning of that game.

By the way, it's absolutely maddening that WF got swept by Duke at home. If WF misses the ACC tourney, that sweep will have been the difference.

Last edited:
....and the FSU loss which could have been won in the bottom of the 9th.....

I apologize cause I was thinking all along that only the top 8 teams were taken....

There is no way we couldn't finish in the top 10 with 15 wins.

At 14 wins, we could be in a tie for a position through 11 only if Pitt sweeps ND and State sweeps VT.

Lol yeah typical Wake, we just need to snag a game, OH it's against the top team in the nation. Well shit.

I've seen UVa play a few times this year and I think we can win one. I see them as like FSU which we took one from. They are better than Clemson (which we rarely take a series from regardless of where we play) and worse than Miami, IMO. Of course, I said we could sweep Duke and lose 2 to NC State......the State prediction was correct (although I didn't think the 2 State wins would be blowouts) and Duke totally dominated us, doing everything right....may be the best team we've played in ACC....

Duke isn't the best team we have played in the ACC. We just crapped the bed.

I've seen UVa play a few times this year and I think we can win one. I see them as like FSU which we took one from. They are better than Clemson (which we rarely take a series from regardless of where we play) and worse than Miami, IMO. Of course, I said we could sweep Duke and lose 2 to NC State......the State prediction was correct (although I didn't think the 2 State wins would be blowouts) and Duke totally dominated us, doing everything right....may be the best team we've played in ACC....

FSU is clearly the best team we've played in the ACC.

A Pitt loss this weekend would also put us into the Tournament. Pitt plays at Notre Dame. If we get swept and Pitt loses once, we would take the tie-breaker over them based on divisional record.

Back