• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Basketball Transfers (In & Out): Jalen Johnson (UT) IN !!!!!!!!!

Miles Lester: https://godeacs.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/miles-lester/5551

IIRC, he and his family are massive Jayhawk fans, and since Bill Self wasn't interested in this Rice transfer, playing for Manning was the next best thing. Given his connection to Manning, wouldn't be surprised if Lester finishes up at KU.

I dunno... He seems all in on Wake Forest and Steve Forbes.

There is a podcast where he talks about the call Forbes had w/ the team... Start at 21 minutes.

Notes for anyone who doesn't want to listen to that... It was clearly recorded a few days ago.

Miles found out on Twitter around 7am on Thursday (just like everyone else)
Players in the team group chat were excited... Lots of energy.
Meeting w/ Currie & Forbes... Mentioned Forbes had a ton of energy. Forbes emphasized his programs have always won... Basically told the team that he's not looking for a rebuild; He expects to win right away.
Commenting on the 7 players in the portal... He doesn't view it as guys wanting to leave. A new coach just means you need to be recruited to stay... Guys are just exploring their options. Want to see what is out there while they build a relationship w/ Coach Forbes. Thinks the majority of those 7 will come back (which we've seen in the days since then).
Want to play fast, move the ball, be aggressive on defense
There was a Zoom team meeting the day Manning was fired... Currie, Manning, and Childress were there. Another meeting later that day w/ Currie & CP3... Said CP3 talked for like 30 minutes and answered a ton of questions (about everything... not the coaching change). Players excited Duncan and Paul are becoming more involved in the program. Thinks Forbes will push for more alum involvement... Open practices.
Hard to build a relationship w/ Forbes given social distancing? It is an obstacle, but there are creative things that can be done (going over video together).

Not worth listing to the entire thing, IMO... First few minutes w/ Lester are covered above.

According to Coach Forbes and confirmed with him afterwards by Les is that Ody and Ish are back. Nothing said on Neath. Forbes is an easy guy to like. Very open and refreshing. Les is doing a great job.

According to Coach Forbes and confirmed with him afterwards by Les is that Ody and Ish are back. Nothing said on Neath. Forbes is an easy guy to like. Very open and refreshing. Les is doing a great job.

This is really really really awesome if true and confirmed.

Get Sarr and Neath back and I'm ready for some minutes projections

Les just did an awesome podcast with Coach. A lot of good info. More transparency from him in 30 minutes versus six years of nonreponses from Manning.

So impressed with Coach Forbes in this podcast. He is incredibly verbal and an excellent communicator. Very down to earth and easy to talk to you and listen to. A complete 180 from six years of platitudes and guarded behavior. I think we should mention that getting Ody back is a massive deal. That kid was a diamond in the rough and has huge upside for the coming years.

So, with no new grad transfers or late adds from the HS class of 2020, WF's roster next season:

PG: Watson, Adams (Neath)
SG: Dubose
SF: Mucius, Massoud
PF: Ody
C: Ingraham, Okeke (Sarr)

So, with Neath and Sarr, WF would have 9 scholarship players and Okeke. Without those two, WF would have 7 scholarship players. Man, that is a thin roster. A couple injuries, and things could get ugly.

So the transfer Wilkins from VT isn’t coming?

the podcast with Les is a must watch. Great stuff. And props to Les- he is doing a bang up job covering the Deacs!

COACH FORBEST!!

Les podcast makes it sound like Massoud & Ody are both coming back.

Didn't mention Neath.

Full court press on for Sarr, but it'll likely be a drawn out process.

https://247sports.com/college/wake-forest/Article/More-With-Les-Podcast-Zoom-Edition-with-Mens-Basketball-Coach-Steve-Forbes-146793329/

Great work Les! That was highly enjoyable! Finally someone wholly comfortable with media engagement and totally assured of himself as to not worry about saying "too much." IOW, Coach Forbes is the ultimate straight-shooter and that type of personality trait is very effective when it comes to relating to younger kids who might have their BS radar turned up to 11. Forbes comes across as genuine and real, and his coaching record speaks for itself.

These next few years are going to be quite enjoyable to watch unfold. Cannot wait to watch it closely with renewed (salvaged from the abyss) spirit and interest. Go Deacs!!

Ody reminds me of a young Teachey. That is high praise coming from a big Teachey fan.

I love Teachey. Unless Ody explodes, he isn't a Teachey. That being said, I think Ody will be a solid contributor. I love his energy. You need a high motor big off the bench. Ody can be that.

It would be ideal to do build relationships face-to-face, but this generation of guys are used to virtual relationships through social media and playing video games online and such. It's not the challenge in would have been years ago. And as Forbes points out, he can visit our players, so that does give him an edge.

RJ, we will have to revisit this comparison down the road. In the meantime, Coach Forbes said he was an old fashioned recruiter and liked to eyeball the players in person. He made up his own mind about how good they were not concerned about who has offered them or not.

RJ, we will have to revisit this comparison down the road. In the meantime, Coach Forbes said he was an old fashioned recruiter and liked to eyeball the players in person. He made up his own mind about how good they were not concerned about who has offered them or not.

I had the same thought when I saw Ody. I looked up the stats and Teachey averaged 3.5 and 3.5 pts/rbs in 14 mpg his freshman year. Ody 3 and 4 in 14 mpg. Teachey went on to 6/6, 10/8 and then 13/10 his senior year. I can see Ody following that career pathway.

Back