• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Basketball Transfers (In & Out): Jalen Johnson (UT) IN !!!!!!!!!

That's not how it works. There is no finite radius to be eligible.

Actually there is. It's 100 miles. When players apply for a waiver due to injury, illness, mental health, their new school must be within 100 miles of their home. When players apply because a family member is sick, new school must be within 100 miles of said family member. The NCAA hasn't released anything on a COVID-related waiver yet, but I'd guess they keep the 100 mile rule. Just because new school is closer to home than old school has never been relevant in obtaining waivers and probably won't for any COVID waiver either.

No worries. The next year could be surprising or crappy. Give me tough kids that want to be here, will challenge each other in practice, and compete on Tuesday nights. That's what the team needs. New structure. New, dare I say, culture. A coach that can recruit, teach, and inspire these kids. The lost decade showed us you can't go with your gut only.

Let's GO.

Actually there is. It's 100 miles. When players apply for a waiver due to injury, illness, mental health, their new school must be within 100 miles of their home. When players apply because a family member is sick, new school must be within 100 miles of said family member. The NCAA hasn't released anything on a COVID-related waiver yet, but I'd guess they keep the 100 mile rule. Just because new school is closer to home than old school has never been relevant in obtaining waivers and probably won't for any COVID waiver either.
You're correct on the waiver exception that require going close to home. But a lot of the waivers are now processed under a gray area of basically "my last school harmed me/my reputation" or some other not well defined area (which coincidentally the NCAA was supposed to have cleaned up last year) and that one really doesn't have a distance/geographic component to it.

Looks like that mile radius was added in 2012, and didn't exist before that: http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/membership-modifies-transfer-waiver-guidelines

"Membership modifies transfer waiver guidelines
November 2, 2012
The NCAA staff will use altered guidelines when determining which student-athletes will receive waivers of the rule that requires some student-athletes to sit out a year of competition after transfer.

Members of the Division I Legislative Council’s Subcommittee for Legislative Relief made the changes in response to current waiver trends and a belief among the membership that waiver decisions were not consistent from case to case.

The guideline changes are specific to waivers requested when a student-athlete wants to return to a school closer to home due to the illness or injury of an immediate family member (the student-athlete's mother, father, sibling, child or legal guardian). The subcommittee directed the staff to consider relief when:

The school presents medical documentation of a debilitating injury or illness to a student-athlete’s immediate family member that is debilitating and requires ongoing medical care. The previous standard had been “life-threatening.”
The student-athlete demonstrates he or she will be responsible for regular, ongoing caregiving responsibilities. The previous standard required the student-athlete to be the primary, day-to-day caregiver.
The school is within a 100-mile radius of the immediate family member’s home, which demonstrates the ability for the student-athlete to provide regular, ongoing care. Previously, no distance limitation was in place."

Still would expect more leniency with the "guidelines" given they were proposing a 1-time free for all transfer this year. Ohio State type schools will always get their transfer waivers approved, so these guidelines are meaningless. I read this story about how shitty this guideline turned out for 1 kid:
https://www.roanoke.com/sports/coll...cle_c5089c78-c931-11e9-a864-535f669b7652.html

Contrasted with Tate Martell who got his immediate waiver approved simply because his family hired a good lawyer who was willing to sue the NCAA if they didn't approve it.

Interestingly enough, one of the members of the committee this year reviewing immediate eligibility waivers is from Georgetown.

So with the NCAA vote today, one would assume we will have our roster set by end of week, no?

If the NCAA allows a free transfers for this year, what will the over/under be of how many players will move in D1 bball? 50? 75? More?

I know it would create a lot more movement, but the NCAA should vote to just open it up this year. The only way a kid should have to sit a year is if the transfer is within conference or against someone already scheduled as an opponent, and its not a grad transfer.

I'm hoping they open it up so we can beat Michigan in the 8/9 matchup and then take down UK in the 9/1 match up to go to sweet 16

Back