• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF MBB Game 18: Deacs at BC: Saturday 8 pm: ESPN2

Grad transfer who came in 2013 from Robert Morris U. He was a prolific 3 pt shooter at RM. Continued at Wake.
God, those years sucked. I googled him, watched a YouTube video. Zero recollection.

Peral, Gooslby, Rutland, and Braswell were a great 3 pt team. Makes and %.
Didn't they lead the country for a bit?

Hicks was a bad shooter with low Bball iq, but very athletic and reportedly a great kid—anybody remember the game at the Joel where he single handily brought us back to win , from something like 20 down in the second half.

No but I don’t doubt it. I believe he was the ball handler against Duke in a game we were attempting to come back in and while walking it up court he got a 10 second call even though there was limited defensive pressure on the ball

If we don't play better D, we aren't going anywhere. The stats (below) Pilcard put up are pathetic from a defensive stand point.

Defense:

BC#13 - W#12
Effective FG%: BC 53.6% (#13) - WF 55.6 (#15 DFL)
FTA per FGA: BC#2 - WF #13
2 PT FG%: BC 49.8% (#10) - WF 58.7% (#15 DFL)
3 PT FG%: BC 40.5% (#14) - WF 34.3% (#9) - BC's defense is also a regression candidate
TO%: BC 18.4% (#5); WF 20.1% (#3)

Hicks was a bad shooter with low Bball iq, but very athletic and reportedly a great kid—anybody remember the game at the Joel where he single handily brought us back to win , from something like 20 down in the second half.
I remember we had a game at Cincinnati where we were down like 10-12 points with 4 minutes to go and he went off to force overtime (we ended up losing).

Yeah, we have zero players on the roster who could be considered any kind of rim protector and it is definitely an issue. I think Forbes does a good job with defensive scheme to try to mitigate that (and also keep teams from killing us on the offensive glass), but I don't think it is an issue that goes away this season.

Maybe Marsh/Bradford can develop that part of their game over time. They have the size. I've just always thought a certain part of that was innate.

If we don't play better D, we aren't going anywhere. The stats (below) Pilcard put up are pathetic from a defensive stand point.

Defense:

BC#13 - W#12
Effective FG%: BC 53.6% (#13) - WF 55.6 (#15 DFL)
FTA per FGA: BC#2 - WF #13
2 PT FG%: BC 49.8% (#10) - WF 58.7% (#15 DFL)
3 PT FG%: BC 40.5% (#14) - WF 34.3% (#9) - BC's defense is also a regression candidate
TO%: BC 18.4% (#5); WF 20.1% (#3)

this is a good point and a bad trend. Last year's Deacs were #1 in the league in 2-point defense.

No but I don’t doubt it. I believe he was the ball handler against Duke in a game we were attempting to come back in and while walking it up court he got a 10 second call even though there was limited defensive pressure on the ball
I was at a game in Cameron where Hicks got absolutely decked into the scorers table when Duke was pressing, I believe by Boozer. No foul called, easy dunk/layup for Duke. My dad doesn't normally complain about refs like I do, and I've never seen him more apoplectic. The Duke fan beside us simply said "I don't know what you're so upset about, better teams are supposed to get all the calls." We both had to restrain ourselves from physical violence.

Odom so should have played Peral at the 4 as a stretch and another 3 pointer around Duncan. Also maybe not year 1 but should have found a way for Tucker to be a 4 guy..

When did coaches who were "cutting edge" start blurring the lines in that capacity? Like "Stretch 4" and stuff like that.

Obviously Magic was a PG at 6-9 and that was unique, so I guess it goes way back in the day, but I didn't know if that was something that Odom wouldn't do because of his conservative coaching nature, but also because it just wasn't that mainstream at the time?

probably off here, but I remember Chris Bosh as being one of the stretch 4 prototypes for the way it's used in modern basketball

Not until his last few years in Miami. He only hit more than 1 three a game his last two years. He never shot more than 1 three a game in Toronto.

Yeah, and GT Bosh was raw... But clearly a super-talented player (and one of my college favorites from back in the day). Oozing with potential from Day 1.

Was 22-46 from 3 that one year at GT, though... I wouldn't have guessed that.

15.6 & 9.0... Shot 57.7%/47.8%/73.0%

by the way, in his one year in the ACC, Bosh attempted about 1.5 3's per game (converting 48% at 19feet, 9 inches) and led the league in eFG% with 59.7% (LaRavia led the league last year with 60.6%, shooting longer 3's)

Back