• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF MBB Game 2: UGA - Friday 8:30 pm - ACCN

Monsanto now 0-7 in first two games. Looks to me like his shot form is slightly different this year. Maybe as a result from losing weight?
I would think he lost weight back to his prior playing weight. I had assumed he gained weight while injured and couldn't do a lot of cardio.

So Damari has gone from possibly the most dynamic scorer on a shoulda-been tourney team to a total non factor? Classic Wake.
Still playing a pretty one dimensional game. When his shot doesn’t fall he adds little. I did think he played hard though. Appleby was outstanding

Bobby Mac feels like one of those guys that has great natural talent but lacks the skills or ability to take that next step for ACC play. Can imagine that's crazy frustrating for a player. Would probably excel in a conference like the MAAC.

He reminds me of James Griffin, a late 90s player from SC. Amazing dunker but looked lost on the court. He transfer to College of Charleston after two seasons.

The press ate us up a bunch last season. Appleby seems to have cured that problem.

Lots to be enthused by last night, particularly in the first half. Great team defense. Looked a little worse in the second half, but they finally got some threes to drop (I think they were 2-15 in the first half), and we didn’t clean the glass quite as well.

I think we have a lot of room to round into form as the season goes. Both Klintman and Keller are doing some nice things while also making freshman mistakes—that should improve. And the biggest X factor is Monsanto. He worked hard on D last night. The shooting will be there.

Could see McKie getting a mid- low- gig and taking McCray with him, but I won’t close the book until he does.

Definitely thought the D upped intensity and set the tone after those Keller/Monsanto subs, so I’ll take that. Monsanto just needs to settle down on the other end, but feel like Forbes said he had a rough summer shooting, so who knows.

The press ate us up a bunch last season. Appleby seems to have cured that problem.

Lots to be enthused by last night, particularly in the first half. Great team defense. Looked a little worse in the second half, but they finally got some threes to drop (I think they were 2-15 in the first half), and we didn’t clean the glass quite as well.

I think we have a lot of room to round into form as the season goes. Both Klintman and Keller are doing some nice things while also making freshman mistakes—that should improve. And the biggest X factor is Monsanto. He worked hard on D last night. The shooting will be there.

Yeah, was at the game last night. Surprised there's not more positive reactions to that first half. They scored a few inside buckets against pretty good defense, it was clear that UGA wasn't a bad team. Keller came in played in front of his man really well, was disruptive on defense, guards played incredibly well. Appleby and Daivien were great, built a huge lead and dominated. Just an awesome half of basketball and showed a glimpse a what I think this team could be.

Young teams struggling to play with a lead is pretty standard, and that's what the 2nd half was. A few really bad freshman mistakes on defense killed off some intensity and it showed on the offensive end as well. I was really impressed watching Cam in person though - I know there's a lot of talk about him not being athletic enough, but while his warmup dunks may not translate to in-game dunks, he got up for some rebounds and had that huge offensive rebound off Bradford's missed free throw then hit the 3. Instead of maybe getting it to 9 his play got it back to 14. Just a huge moment on top of both Appleby and Daivien coming up with big moments to close it out.

For game 2 of the season I was pleasantly surprised. Think this team has a higher ceiling than I thought after game 1. We still have Ituka to add, Carr and Bobi are going to get better, so will Keller. If Bradford can find a way to make free throws he was solid.

Also for the record I watched Monsanto as much as I could - he worked hard all game and was trying to make the right play. Very active on defense and had lots of disruptive plays. Forbes gave him a lot of run and seemed to be encouraging him - reads 100% like a kid coming back from a heartbreaking tragedy doing his best to get his game back. Not surprising that shooting would be the last thing to return. Just going to root for him moving forward and hope that it clicks at some point. If you'd told me no points from Demari and no Marsh against a decent team last year I'd have bet the farm on a loss. Forbes is so good at building a team out of whatever he can.

Certainly looked better than I expected. Appleby looks like the best player on the team.

Only two games, but Appleby/Williamson/Hildreth are drawing a ton of fouls.

Williamson in particular is more than double his average from all other seasons. Appleby seems to do this pretty consistently in his career, moreso at Cleveland St. than Florida.

He reminds me of James Griffin, a late 90s player from SC. Amazing dunker but looked lost on the court. He transfer to College of Charleston after two seasons.
Interesting stat about Grip. He missed his first 20 shots from the floor as a Deac. He transferred to the College of Knowledge and then missed his first 12 shots there. That's some bad shooting.

Bobi needs to stop giving up and 1s on soft fouls.
Only two games, but Appleby/Williamson/Hildreth are drawing a ton of fouls.

Williamson in particular is more than double his average from all other seasons. Appleby seems to do this pretty consistently in his career, moreso at Cleveland St. than Florida.
Appleby drew 10 fouls last night. That is impactful.
and yes his press breakability will be crucial. Hoping the best for Ituka. Had a PRP? Shot 10 days ago for tendinitis issue and Sat is his first of allowed activity. Not back until after Jamaica trip.
oh it’s Bobi’s second game in a new country so let’s see how he learns

Still playing a pretty one dimensional game. When his shot doesn’t fall he adds little.
I'm not sure that this is true. He played solid defense, made a couple of nice passes, and mixed it up on the boards. He definitely missed some bad shots, but his shot creating ability looked pretty solid and, until I've seen Ituka against real competition, we definitely need more shot creation in our rotation.

His family has always seemed to have that "we're too involved" vibe to me. I wish he could have put it together, but it doesn't seem like that was going to happen. I assume he will be gone after the Holidays.
Folks, we will see what transpires but indications are that McCray will practice and learn against some pretty good Grad guards, has read the roster structure and is a great teammate. Forbes can point to DW and Bookie as redshirt success stories proving Coach doesn’t just shelve people, he develops them.

Only got to watch the second half. Appleby and Williamson obviously impressed. But I was most impressed by Cam Hildreth. He was so consistent with his ball handling, his defensive effort, and especially his defensive rebounding. He's an asset to keep the team together when things aren't working.

Monsanto working hard on D.

That's good to see.

He has such an effortless stroke, should try using the glass more if he's in a little slump.

Taking some set shots would also help. If nothing is falling, avoid off balance step backs

Folks, we will see what transpires but indications are that McCray will practice and learn against some pretty good Grad guards, has read the roster structure and is a great teammate. Forbes can point to DW and Bookie as redshirt success stories proving Coach doesn’t just shelve people, he develops them.
Yeah I just don't see a ton of PT for McCray or Taylor this year. Back court is pretty deep. McCray has amazing physical ability. Take a year and work on skills and knowledge.

Additional thoughts. Other than the obvious with Damien and Appleby, Bobi was quiet but looks like an NBA player. Bradford was quite good. Carr knows what he's doing as a role player. Kind of reminds me of Danielus. Forbes is really good at sorting through players and putting together a team.

Back