• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF MBB Game 7: Florida Gators - Wednesday 7:15 ESPNU

Pilchard

Reaction score
Our 3-3 Deacs host the Florida Gators this Wednesday. Big game for WF as only five OOC games remain. Three of those five are/should be noncompetitive (#352 NJIT, #319 Del. State and #289 Presbyterian); so, the next two games (Florida and Rutgers) present the best and only remaining chances for the Deacs to grab a quality OOC win. Right now, WF's best OOC win is over #194 Towson; that's not going to get it done. Here is the breakdown of UF:

4-2 #28 Florida: Wednesday's game will be UF's 4th outing against an ACC team; the Gators lost 73-70 to # 42 UVA, and blew out #71 FSU (89-68) and #43 Pitt (86-71); last time out, the Gators lost a tight one to #11 Baylor (95-91). As evidenced from the high scores (only UVA has held UF to less than 89), the Gators have a high octane offense, and push pace (#17 in offensive possession length). The analytics:

Offense:

Efficiency: 117 - #16
Effective FG%: 54% - #79
O Reb% - 44% - #3
FTA/FGA - 44% - #32
2 PT FG% - 56% - #48

Defense:

Efficiency: 99 - #67
Effective FG%: 49% - #144
3 PT FG%: 36% - #284
2 PT FG% 46% - #68

Florida is big (#22 in height); middle of the pack in bench minutes (#190) and experience (#117).

The roster:

Against Baylor, the Gators started:

6-2 Jr. Walter Clayton: Iona transfer; 2023 MAAC POY; leads the Gators in scoring (16 ppg) and assists (4 ppg); 36% from three; 28 points in the win over Pitt
6-4 5th yr. Zyon Pullin: UC Riverside transfer; three time all Big West Conf.; missed first three games; Florida has played like a top 20 team with Pullin the lineup; double figures in all three games;
6-4 Jr. Will Richard: Belmont transfer; 40% from deep last year; only 28% so far this year; 10 ppg;
6-5 So. Riley Kugel: All SEC frosh; three point threat (37% last year); started the season cold, but hit 4 of 6 against Baylor; 13 ppg; 4 rpg;
6-10 Sr. Tyrese Samuel: Seton Hall transfer; from Canada; WF pushed hard for Samuel in the portal; 15 ppg; 8 rpg; 18 and 6 against Baylor last time out

The bench:

6-5 So. Denzell Aberdeen: 4 ppg and 2 rpg
6-9 Fr. Thomas Haugh: top 100 recruit; 4 ppg and 4 rpg
6-10 Fr. Alex Condon: Aussie; three double figure games; 44% from three; 60% from 2; 9 ppg and 5 rpg
7-1 So. Micah Handlotgen; from NC; started every game for Marshall in 2023 10 rpg; opened the season with 14 and 16 point games; had a double/double against UVA; suffered an ankle injury against Pitt; DNP against Baylor

The projection:

KP: 81-77 UF (71 possessions)
Torvik: 80- 76 UF

If the game opens at the Gators -4, the early action will likely push it higher. Think the game will tip at around 5.5.

The skinny:

Florida (#28) is bigger, deeper, more experienced and better than WF (#81). The scary matchup is Florida's #16 offense against WF's #144 defense. With Pullin back, Florida is improving and if Handlotgen returns, this will be UF's first game with a full lineup. Yikes. looking at it another way, the Gators are better than the three teams WF has already lost to.

giphy.gif

Even so, WF is at home. this is Florida's first true road game (Gators were 4-7 on the road last year). Also, the Deacs will have had 4 days off to recover from nagging injuries. Given the Gators up tempo style, would also look at the over, but Forbes has elected to play super-slow this year. WF's length of offensive possession last three seasons:

• 2022: 16.5 seconds (#46)
  • 2023: 17.3 (#132)
  • 2024: 17.6 (#225)

Also, given WF's depth concerns and young backcourt, would not make sense to try to run with a Florida team that will try to push pace. So, for WF to have a chance, the Deacs will need to limit possessions, and hope that UF continues to struggle from three. Florida is a play-on team for the season; can't recommend the Deacs. If WF pulls out a win, it will age well because Florida is good and getting better.

Last edited:
We get to see what we didn't land at the 5 in Samuel and Handlogten, so that will be fun.

Seems like this could go one of two ways...

UF beats down Wake Forest in a high scoring up and down game.
Wake Forest plays well and keeps it tight most of the game before losing at the end in heartbreaking fashion.

I lean towards the first, where the outcome is never really in doubt. I hope I'm wrong.

Why do I have butterflies about this game already?

Our 3-3 Deacs host the Florida Gators this Wednesday. Big game for WF as only five OOC games remain. Three of those five are/should be noncompetitive (#352 NJIT, #319 Del. State and #289 Presbyterian); so, the next two games (Florida and Rutgers) present the best and only remaining chances for the Deacs to grab a quality OOC win. Right now, WF's best OOC win is over #194 Towson; that's not going to get it done. Here is the breakdown of UF:
After last friday and Elon, not sure we can say that any game should be noncompetitive (in our favor at least).

Assuming we don't hear anything in the next two days, this game will mark us playing >20% of the regular season without being definitively told by the NCAA whether our best center is eligible to play or not. So that's cool

Assuming we don't hear anything in the next two days, this game will mark us playing >20% of the regular season without being definitively told by the NCAA whether our best center is eligible to play or not. So that's cool
I just don’t understand what could possibly take so long. Get materials. Look at materials. Make decision. It should take like 3 days.

I just don’t understand what could possibly take so long. Get materials. Look at materials. Make decision. It should take like 3 days.
If you look at what happened with the Cincinnati player, waivers can apparently be granted in a few hours by the NCAA as long as there is a threat to sue on the table

No possible way there's enough info that requires three days. It wouldn't take 3 hours if they would just fucking sit down and do it.
I was giving them the benefit of the doubt that they’d give 3 different people a day each to look at the case when they had time. That was probably too kind!

We absolutely must improve our rebounding to have any chance in this game. I'm all-in on Forbes but I will say that our lack of focus on defense, at times, is somewhat concerning.

As unfortunate as it may be, we've been definitively told No.....twice....

Last edited:
As unfortunate as it may be, we've been definitely told No.....twice....
The appeal being denied hasn't been reported on anywhere that I've seen, and Forbes was still talking about the appeal process at his most recent press conference.

You here breaking the news that it got denied in the last couple of days?

The appeal being denied hasn't been reported on anywhere that I've seen, and Forbes was still talking about the appeal process at his most recent press conference.

Im not breaking news, just stating the obvious.

Forbes has not been the most forthcoming with updates re: Efton. You may recall, he didn't even mention being denied initially until weeks afterward. That's really his perrogative. Unlike Mack Brown and that childish baby at Cinci, he's chosen to deal with this issue in a more professional manner. We will see if that is successful. but a whole slew of appeal denials came back in the last 2 weeks and i am 95% sure Efton's was one of them. I am guessing we are pursuing a lawsuit and forbes rightfully want's to treat the ncaa with some respect. I really doubt we get the waiver no matter how its handled, but at least we didn't cry in front of camera for it.

Forbes took a risk on Efton. If we make a sweet 16 in '24-'25 was it worth it?

Back