• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF MBB: Post-Duke Win - KP/Torvik Update

This upcoming game vs. VT is huge.

Feels like a 50/50 game... Need to protect our home court and keep some momentum from the Duke game (pushing the mostly poor play of the last few weeks behind us).

I'm a big believer in favoring the more desperate team in college hoop. Feels like VT may come in more desperate off of their loss in the Conte Forum. Hope we come in hungry and angry.

Agree, but VT is also 0-2 on the road this year (and 11-0 everywhere else).

And we both have an extended layoff ahead of the game.

Wake should absolutely be the more desperate team you've got to protect your home court against good teams if you want to do anything

Wake should be. And I hope they are.

Last year in home ACC games following a win, the Deacs:

1. Sleepwalked through most of the Syracuse game before the Boeheims fumbled the ball out of bounds and gifted us OT
2. Got beaten pretty handily by Duke
3. and 4. Destroyed UNC and BC in probably the two best home performances of the season
5. Sleepwalked through a loss to Miami
6. Trailed by double digits but came back to win at the wire vs. Notre Dame
7. Pounded an NC State team that had packed it in on the year

so, 3 very good to great performances, 2 decidedly not good to poor performances, and two just barely good enough performances.

Hopefully better vs. VT.

1. Sleepwalked through most of the Syracuse game before the Boeheims fumbled the ball out of bounds and gifted us OT
3. and 4. Destroyed UNC and BC in probably the two best home performances of the season

so, 3 very good to great performances, 2 decidedly not good to poor performances, and two just barely good enough performances.

Hopefully better vs. VT.
Thanks for the summary. One nitpick point - I wouldn't say we were sleepwalking against Miami. We were up double digits and Miami kicked it into another gear. As we know now, and it was pretty clear during that game, Miami was able to play at a really high level at times as last year.

Thanks for the summary. One nitpick point - I wouldn't say we were sleepwalking against Miami. We were up double digits and Miami kicked it into another gear. As we know now, and it was pretty clear during that game, Miami was able to play at a really high level at times as last year.
recall that one too well, only game i traveled to. there was a stretch where wake looked like the aliens from space jam stole their basketball skills. turnover turnover turnover

We also were able to play at a really high level last year. I don't think people realize just how good that team actually was when we played well. Sleepwalking is exactly the term I would use to describe the performance that day, and Notre Dame felt the same way untli Jake and Alondes started battling down the stretch and hit big shot after big shot.

Hopefully better vs. VT.
Minutes and points back from that team? It's only
  • Williamson - probably the most min and points
  • Monsanto - coming back from injury, but likely 2nd in points and min
  • Cam - essentially an non-contributor
  • Marsh - barely left the bench

We basically turned over our top 4 players. I'd hope what the team did last year has little effect on this year's team, except providing Forbes with a tool to point out why you can't let down.

We also were able to play at a really high level last year. I don't think people realize just how good that team actually was when we played well. Sleepwalking is exactly the term I would use to describe the performance that day, and Notre Dame felt the same way untli Jake and Alondes started battling down the stretch and hit big shot after big shot.
We definitely were able to play at a high level last year. I just remember thinking during that game - dang, Miami is good. And then they went to the elite 8. Moore, Wong, and McGusty was a great backcourt.

We definitely were able to play at a high level last year. I just remember thinking during that game - dang, Miami is good. And then they went to the elite 8. Moore, Wong, and McGusty was a great backcourt.
With a combined age of like 75.

Minutes and points back from that team? It's only
  • Williamson - probably the most min and points
  • Monsanto - coming back from injury, but likely 2nd in points and min
  • Cam - essentially an non-contributor
  • Marsh - barely left the bench

We basically turned over our top 4 players. I'd hope what the team did last year has little effect on this year's team, except providing Forbes with a tool to point out why you can't let down.

Yes, this year's team is different from last year's team, except for the coaching staff. Hopefully they don't let down.

If 'feels' like this team has more balance. Four guys avg 10/gm or more, last year 3. This team, right now, is going with 6, last year we really played 7. After those the drop off last year was greater with less potential upside. This year we have Klintman, Keller, Ituka and Bradford. Last year it was Cam (who played but was rough), Whitt and Marsh (who only got into 13 games).

I've not watched the wolpfack.

Is their rise from DFL last season all on Smith staying?
Hard to say, but that’s a big part of it. He’s very good. Everyone else outside of Joiner and Morsell (who are both good outside shooters) are meh to me. Put the clamps on Smith and guard the perimeter. State doesn’t really have a balanced team, IMHO.

Last edited:
Back