• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF MBB: Post-Duke Win - KP/Torvik Update

I’m still hopeful that Ituka develops into being able to give us 8-10 solid minutes.

That would be a big improvement. I'm surprised he hasn't been able to contribute. He seemed like a sure rotation guy based on his Marist stats.

I’m still hopeful that Ituka develops into being able to give us 8-10 solid minutes.
I hope he can do that in games where it's reasonable. We can't have Appleby going 34+ every night for a long season, he'll be worn out, but I also don't think playing Ituka in games like last night is realistic yet when considering ability and just rotations. If Damari continues to be very playable, that leaves a lot more of Cam at the 2 and Daivien at the 1 when Ty is on the bench instead of Ituka, Daivien, and Cam playing 1-3.

I really thought Applebee and Williamson looked more comfortable with their physicality last night. This break is going to do wonders for them.

Having Mucius this season would be huge. That's one area where not having NIL in place hurt.

Mucius is on the end of the bench for the Capital City Go-Go, the Wizards G-League team.

Mucius leaving was really the one that I wanted back. I knew Jake was gone, but Mucius was such a good 3/4th man on the floor at any time.

Having Mucius this season would be huge. That's one area where not having NIL in place hurt.

Mucius is on the end of the bench for the Capital City Go-Go, the Wizards G-League team.
I never got the impression that Zay's decision had anything to do with money. For one thing, he was never one of the guys that tried to earn actual NlL money like Damari tried with Bojangles or Daivien did with the Dash. The understanding I got from reporting on 247 and talking to people was he wasn't the biggest fan of the school aspect (not in a bad way he's clearly a smart kid) and he was ready to focus on basketball.

Yeah, I don't think it was NIL. If it was, he could have just gone elsewhere for a year. He was done with college hoops.

Forbes clearly wanted Zay and Dallas back with Daivien, but they were ready to get on with their lives.

I’m not sure Rutgers is a head-scratching loss. That’s a pretty good team on the road. A loss is a loss whether it’s by 1 or by 101. Same with a win.
Except it looked like we never played basketball before.

We have some wins against some dogs on our resume but so do most winning teams. Our wins over 9-3 UGA(beat ND), 9-4 UVU(Ws vs Ore and BYU), 9-2 Wis(OT loss to KU) and 10-3 Duke means we aren’t bottom feeders. We are 9-4 with flaws but improving. Our OT loss against now 9-4 LMU, 2 pt loss to 10-1 LSU sit better than the beatdowns to 9-3 Clemson and 7-4 Rutgers(who beat #10 IU and lost to #25 OSU by 1). So our 4 losses are to teams with combined records of 35-12. Coach is helping the guys figure out the college game and I am dang glad he leads us now.

Torvik has WF at 2.7% to win the ACC and 11.4% to get an NCAA tournament bid. Those odds are about double what they were before the Duke win (and about where they were before we lost to Clemson and Rutgers). His current view of the ACC:

National RankTeamWin ACCNCAA Bid
12​
Duke22.1%99.7%
13​
Virginia Tech22.3%99.6%
23​
Virginia17.2%99.5%
31​
North Carolina11.4%92.0%
32​
North Carolina St.10.6%75.7%
59​
Miami FL6.0%79.0%
68​
Pittsburgh3.5%20.3%
72​
Wake Forest2.7%11.4%
75​
Clemson2.6%7.1%
94​
Georgia Tech1.0%1.0%
114​
Notre Dame0.3%0.3%
128​
Syracuse0.3%0.3%
187​
Florida St.0.1%0.1%
221​
Boston College0.0%0.0%
305​
Louisville0.0%0.0%
How can NC State’s results thus far give a 75% chance of dancing? No Q1 wins and 0-2 in league play.

Have to take care of business at home. VT, FSU, Clemson, UVA, State, UNC, GT, ND, BC. I don't think we can drop more than 1 of these games. We were 8-2 last season at home.

We will likely be underdogs in all these away games: UNC/Duke/Pitt/Miami/Cuse/State. Louisville should be a dub if they haven't quit already. ND and BC are toss-ups.

9 home/3 away or 8/4 feels like a ceiling to me. 20-11 with probably 3-5 Q1 wins is similar to Virginia's resume last season, and they were not even on the bubble. We would have to go on a run in the ACCT to have a chance, or all our wins would have to be against the best teams we face.

Last edited:
State is 0-2 in Q1 games and 2-1 in Q2 games. By comparison, Wake is 2-1 in Q1 games but 0-3 in Q2 games.

The big thing is Torvik has State at 32 and assumes they’ll play like it the rest of the year. Ditto Wake being expected to play like #72.

The big thing is Torvik has State at 32 and assumes they’ll play like it the rest of the year. Ditto Wake being expected to play like #72.
I’ve watched State play a lot this season. Wake is the much better team, IMHO. If State has a high probability of making the tourney, I hope that’s a sign that people are sleeping on Wake. Hopefully we don’t give them many reasons to.

Some extremely optimistic projections on this thread. I don't think this team's making the NCAAs.

I know it's just one game, but I'd feel a lot better if we hadn't blown it against LSU.

We will win some games we won’t be expecting to win, like we did against Duke. And we will lose some games we won’t be expecting to lose, like we did against Loyola.

We will miss the NCAA and the committee will say it is because we didn’t have enough wins, which is the exact opposite of what they said last year.

I’ve watched State play a lot this season. Wake is the much better team, IMHO. If State has a high probability of making the tourney, I hope that’s a sign that people are sleeping on Wake. Hopefully we don’t give them many reasons to.

I've not watched the wolpfack.

Is their rise from DFL last season all on Smith staying?

Back