• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF @ VT (10/14), 3:30PM on ACC Network

Disagree. It's part of having a collective that basically sponsors the team and is paid for by boosters. I don't think a public accounting to people like me/Timmay is necessary, but the big donors need to know (and likely do know) to whom their money is going.
The Board of Roll The Quad has the final say as to which players get offered NIL deals thorugh the collective and how much.

Last edited:
Our facilities are incredible so this comment should be taken in the spirit in which it is intended. They have no doubt won us some recruits and helped with player development, so proper gratitude to the donors. But it would be hilariously Wake Foresty of us to pour tremendous assets into facilities right as the market shifts toward NIL $$ becoming the way football programs grow in the 2020's.

That is what has happened. The market has shifted. Facilities are cool, but these days kids want (and expect) cold hard cash. Facilities are just icing on the cake.

That's a pretty obvious loophole to scholarship limits. If that's legal, the only limit is 11 players on the field at a time.

Reminds me of UNC hiding baseball players on Regent's schollies.

So you're saying Alabama could bring in 4* players as "walk-ons" with huge NIL deals they could use to pay for their education?

I think that's not allowed under NIL rules, but I can't confirm that.
this is correct and what multiple programs are currently doing.

The Board of Roll The Quad has the final say as to which players get offered NIL deals thorugh the collective and how much.
Of course. Has to be that way I'm sure for optics/legality. Is it bad that I trust the people on that Board more the coaching staff, anyways?

from a RTQ board perspective - what is a legitimate target for yearly needs?

Does a competitive team really need $10m/year?
There are only 10-15 schools that can/aspire to have a $10m/year budget when it comes to football collective NIL opportunities. You can probably name them.

The RTQ board has a number in mind - for football, for basketball, and for other sports - to ensure Wake Forest remains competeive. For a variety of reasons I prefer not to post hard figures/numbers on here, but would certainly be open to having a conversation with you in more detail.

I don’t think we have. Ours might be as good or close, but I don’t think they are better.
I've heard from multiple sources (media and otherwise) that they are the 2nd best in the ACC behind Clemson. Maybe 90%+ was aggressive though if we think mid-tier teams from other conferences are at/better than our level. We're certainly better than any G5 team.

One time fixed capital cost vs ongoing variable costs every year in perpetuity
Surely the collective has the ability to take lump sums, invest, and then distribute on an annual basis, somewhat similar to an endowment. However, the big differences could be tax related in nature, as I'm not sure if NIL "donations" are tax deductible (might be a good thing for RTQ to add to their FAQs).

I've heard from multiple sources (media and otherwise) that they are the 2nd best in the ACC behind Clemson. Maybe 90%+ was aggressive though if we think mid-tier teams from other conferences are at/better than our level. We're certainly better than any G5 team.

Surely the collective has the ability to take lump sums, invest, and then distribute on an annual basis, somewhat similar to an endowment. However, the big differences could be tax related in nature, as I'm not sure if NIL "donations" are tax deductible (might be a good thing for RTQ to add to their FAQs).
they are not tax deductible.

I think the big difference is less tax related and more that I don't think we are collecting enough money for NIL purposes that we can just distribute 5-10% of it and leave the rest invested.

I know Clawson is very worried about losing what is left of our football team. He's stated that more than once in front of a room full of people.

Yep - Which is why I've been banging the drum over the importance of everyone stepping up to the NIL plate and doing his/her part.

Anyone posting on this board demanding wins, better talent, etc. but donating $0.00 to NIL continues to be the problem.

I will be on the corner of Fourth and Trade at 9:30 AM Saturday morning. @IAppreciateIt is bringing the gin options. We get an hour to down it and then our attorneys can thumb wrestle to see who gets to throw the first punch. Then it’s time to rumble in the jungle big boy
This is currently the biggest draw for me in deciding whether to make the trip on Saturday morning.

Yep - Which is why I've been banging the drum over the importance of everyone stepping up to the NIL plate and doing his/her part.

Anyone posting on this board demanding wins, better talent, etc. but donating $0.00 to NIL continues to be the problem.
LMAO at having to pay to be a fan that wants better

I think the big difference is less tax related and more that I don't think we are collecting enough money for NIL purposes that we can just distribute 5-10% of it and leave the rest invested.
Agree. But if some of our big swinging dicks want to keep providing lump sum donations like they have in the past, it would be prudent to accept them, and figure out an investment/distribution plan.

In theory, you could also go very light on NIL some years where you're confident the team will struggle, and build a war chest to go "all in" for a few straight classes.

Last edited:

LMAO at not understanding this is how the system currently works whether you like it or not.

Let me guess... you are waiting on Bob McCreary to stroke another check before you throw in a $100, right?

I would not phrase it that way, but there has never been a clearer line between financial donations and wins. For now, I give a monthly amount to RTQ and buy season tickets (which also require a donation to the deacon club). I'm only 10 years into my career so I'm not donaldross status yet, but I certainly plan on bumping up those contributions in the future. Because I care. Too much.

LMAO at not understanding this is how the system currently works whether you like it or not.

Let me guess... you are waiting on Bob McCreary to stroke another check before you throw in a $100, right?
just divorce the whole thing from academics, this is stupid

i don't pay up for the Bulls to out and get a free agent I want -- I buy tickets to the game, maybe some merch, beer at the arena

the whole system is just so fucked now, full of contradictions and logical -- maybe even moral -- inconsistencies

Back