• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF @ VT (10/14), 3:30PM on ACC Network

LMAO at not understanding this is how the system currently works whether you like it or not.

Let me guess... you are waiting on Bob McCreary to stroke another check before you throw in a $100, right?
I won't throw in any money regardless. This idea that it excludes me or others who choose not to from having an opinion or expectation is silly

If you divorce it from academics, why have it associated with a university at all? Or would you break that tie as well?

just divorce the whole thing from academics, this is stupid
This is the last thing any stakeholder wants and it's never happening. The primary draw of college football is regional rivalries. If you separate the schools from the product, it's just a minor league and will generate minor league interest. I agree that the arms race for TV money has been detrimental to what made college football, and basketball, great for decades. But the current system is better than nothing/a farm system for the NFL.

The Board of Roll The Quad has the final say as to which players get offered NIL deals thorugh the collective and how much.

Not that I’m questioning anyone’s participation, but remind me how the Board was formed, and who determines its membership?

Not that I’m questioning anyone’s participation, but remind me how the Board was formed, and who determines its membership?
The board came together last year (RTQ is approaching it's first birthday next month) to put together a well-funded and established collective for the WF athletic program to ensure we remain competitive. Wake Forest was not the first out of the gate to have a collective, to the frustration of our football and men's basketball programs.

Anyone can become a member of RTQ.

This is the last thing any stakeholder wants and it's never happening. The primary draw of college football is regional rivalries. If you separate the schools from the product, it's just a minor league and will generate minor league interest. I agree that the arms race for TV money has been detrimental to what made college football, and basketball, great for decades. But the current system is better than nothing/a farm system for the NFL.
Like the "regional rivalries" when Rutgers plays UCLA or Oregon as conference game?

I agree that no one wants those and I think that the Big 10 is going to find out the hard way that their continuing expansion will actually dilute interest in their games.

If you divorce it from academics, why have it associated with a university at all? Or would you break that tie as well?
wakelaw isn't wrong, but that doesn't mean it isn't the right thing to do

to me, all college sports should be like college soccer: fine competition, I care about it because of my affiliation with the school, and it offers a pipeline to the professional level but it's not the primary path

it runs parallel to minor/lower league academy soccer: players can maintain their academy affiliation as a student and unlike baseball they can leave after one or two years

I understand the many reasons why this will not happen, but it's what I think is the ideal

barring that, my preference is to allow for university affiliation but have the academic piece be totally optional -- run athletic departments as removed from the academic/research/community functions of a school as possible, but have it be a perk for athletes if they so choose and let it continue to be something a school can promote for the student experience, in the same way NYU can promote being in Manhattan as part of the student experience for those for whom that is a positive or the way Boone being near the mountains is an asset for students for whom that is important

Like the "regional rivalries" when Rutgers plays UCLA or Oregon as conference game?

I agree that no one wants those and I think that the Big 10 is going to find out the hard way that their continuing expansion will actually dilute interest in their games.
Well no, Rutgers playing Oregon as a conference game is an example of TV money being detrimental to the actual product of college football. The regional rivalries are what made college football great, and what give it the best chance to survive. How else do you explain the fact that 99% of fans know that their alma mater has no chance of winning the championship at the highest level yet care deeply about their team? (Notice, I said their alma mater. We are not counting random Bama fans.) The North Dakota State v. South Dakota State game matters a great deal to those schools, players, and their alumni and that's why it's fun and why people care.

to me, all college sports should be like college soccer: fine competition, I care about it because of my affiliation with the school, and it offers a pipeline to the professional level but it's not the primary path
this could happen in basketball (and I think is happening with overtime elite) but I think the infrastructure needed to support a football team/league is so huge that any other pipeline would need a significant investment from either the NFL or investors who expect a return.

What Works?​

“Let’s look at this thing from a… um, from a standpoint of status. What do we got on the spacecraft that’s good?” -Ed Harris playing NASA flight director Gene Kranz in the movie Apollo 13.

The answer for the Wake Forest offense is, “nothing.” Nothing is good right now. This is not hyperbole. This is from watching potential all of Spring and Fall camp and then into the meltdown of the season. Some people have come to the realization lately that quarterback Mitch Griffis is listed at 5-10 and has a three-quarter to sidearm throwing motion. That makes the slow mesh portion of the offense untenable. How does a short quarterback who does not come over the top go up to the defensive line to throw? To that, we wonder, where have you been?

Griffis has been 5-10ish with a sidearm motion for a really long time now. This is not a new development. In Spring, we suggested that there was going to need to be a lot more rolling out and throwing on the run than slow mesh. There was no chance he was going to grow or change his throwing motion over the next four months.

freestar

But as poor of a fit as the slow mesh is for Griffis, and he is for it, it accounts for maybe 25% of the plays run. It is not the primary problem. Griffis’ inability to see the field in front of him (no, we are not making a size/height joke), and command the offense accordingly is the issue.

Saturday after the game, head coach Dave Clawson expressed surprise at the current state of the offense. “After going through Fall camp, and you guys [the media] were at Fall camp, I didn’t see this coming from a mile away.”

Practice Is Not A Game​

But little about any team’s Fall camp resembles real game functionality and speed. Griffis could look terrific in Fall camp, but in no game does any quarterback ever get the time to read the defense that they get in practice. Now that it is real speed, Griffis is not picking it up quickly enough. The reads and reactions are not there. He was six for 11 for 27 yards and an interception when he was pulled for Michael Kern Saturday. He finished 14 of 22 for 166 yards. And while some of his throws looked better, there was no real sign of a forward-moving offense.

On the season, Griffis is throwing at a 59% completion rate. He has nine touchdowns and six interceptions. There are also fumbles, misreads, and poor decisions. This is not the pile on Griffis column. He is one of the more likable young men you’ll meet on a football team. Even after losses, he faces the questions and tries to give sincere answers, something his predecessor was rarely compelled to do as QB1 last year.

It still blows my mind that Clawson's practices are so flawed that he didn't see this coming. He truly believed the Mitch Griffis we saw behind the OL we've seen running the offense they've prepared would be competitive in the ACC. Wake hasn't finished 0-8 in ACC since 1995 yet that is a real possibility this season.

Clawson’s Role​

Clawson doesn’t have to answer the “why.” His years climbing up the coaching ranks have already answered that. But he does have to answer the “how,” as in how did this happen. He is a historian of his own past. He is quickly able to recall years in his coaching jobs where similar instances occurred, no matter what they are.

And maybe there is an answer in his history. Because right now, a roster full of fourth, fifth, and sixth-year players who have grown up in the system cannot run his offense well enough. They are all his recruits. At this point in his tenure, this can be a transition year. But it is not supposed to have to be a rebuild. Not with his veteran roster. And asking players to do something they can’t do creates on-field issues. A coach is supposed to assess and judge the capabilities of those in the system and retool that system to their capabilities. The coach has to find the parts that still work. Presumably, that is how Clawson spent his Sunday.

My interest in watching a bunch of mercenaries with Wake Forest on their uniforms who don't even pretend to attend - zero.

One of the best parts of Wake and what created my Fandom was taking classes with the athletes. It felt like we celebrated their successes and all had the shared experience of surviving Spanish literature and philosophy ([mention]Liquid Karma [/mention])

From the article PH posted: "Griffis has been 5-10ish with a sidearm motion for a really long time now. This is not a new development. In Spring, we suggested that there was going to need to be a lot more rolling out and throwing on the run than slow mesh. There was no chance he was going to grow or change his throwing motion over the next four months."

All I can see when reading this article are the dozen plays a game where Griffis pulls the ball from the mesh and moves CLOSER to the line. It makes no sense, especially when the rollout plays seem to work with great consistency.

One of my concerns for Clawson is that, outside of a good first/poor second year at Bowling Green (7-6 to 6-2) he has never had a team, once he got the system in place, that took this far of a step back. He has always left a job before having to deal with a season like this.

I'm sure he is extremely focused on how to fix things, both during the season and next year, but this is outside of what he has experienced in the past.

Good point, Sig. We should also note Clawson's always left after the high point, so we've never seen what happens to his programs after they peak.

One of my concerns for Clawson is that, outside of a good first/poor second year at Bowling Green (7-6 to 6-2) he has never had a team, once he got the system in place, that took this far of a step back. He has always left a job before having to deal with a season like this.

I'm sure he is extremely focused on how to fix things, both during the season and next year, but this is outside of what he has experienced in the past.
I'm worried that in the NIL market, Wake won't be able to compete at a high level in football.

Back