• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF @ VT (10/14), 3:30PM on ACC Network

Wow. “We QBs tend to take responsibility for everything, but ultimately we’re not accountable because the fault belongs to everyone around us.”
I hate that quote and Mitch struggled, but there were some drops…

Reactions: GaK
I hate that quote and Mitch struggled, but there were some drops…
There have been drops. There have also been too many instances of open receivers not seen and open receivers missed. Also poor decisions between run and pass.

I tend to think that Coach Higgins moving over to GM from receivers coach has impacted that position’s performance. Also neither Mitch or Kern are real threats to run which hinders them. They are siting sucks in the pocket if they don’t get rid of the ball quickly by either handing off or making a throw. But O-line is a huge drop off this year and showing little progress to-date. They must get better. Only RB is a solid position at this point. Want to see more Carney (are they planning on red-shirting him)?

My question is why does August camp fail to expose the realities of what we have. Seems to me our defensive line should have exposed our offensive weakness. Yet all we heard was most accurate camp QB ever, and a stable of receivers unmatched in the ACC. None of this was close to reality. How is that possible? I seriously don't get it.
Our D line doesn’t get any pressure on opposing QB.

So my guess is Griffis looked great in practice against not much pressure/pass rush, and failure to simulate game conditions in that way allowed him to look better than he has at full speed.

Our D line doesn’t get any pressure on opposing QB.

So my guess is Griffis looked great in practice against not much pressure/pass rush, and failure to simulate game conditions in that way allowed him to look better than he has at full speed.
Also QB is not allowed to be hit in practices. Life may be different when hitting the QB is allowed.

VT's defense moves up from #53 to #37 in the SP+ ratings after yesterday's performance against WF

SP+ ratings for the defenses on WF's remaining schedule:

Pitt - 40
FSU - 16
Duke - 14
NCST - 29
Notre Dame - 5
Syracuse - 41

so, every defense is roughly as good or better than the one that totally emasculated us yesterday.

Giffis holds the ball way to long, then panics. Our line is bad, but eventually, any defensive lineman is going to get to the QB. It's a toxic combination. A bad QB with a bad line. Blame falls squarely on Clawson for thinking this line was capable of playing D1 football and that Griffis was a D1 QB. We'll be lukcy to finish with 4 wins. Other than UVA, who basically is starting over, we're the worst team in the league (I would have said better than Pitt before yesterday).

I’m surprised some people had high expectations after the first three games. It was pretty apparent how bad Griffis is and how bad the O is right away. I don’t feel any differently about this season today than I did after ODU. If we win another game, it will be a fluke.

VT's defense moves up from #53 to #37 in the SP+ ratings after yesterday's performance against WF

SP+ ratings for the defenses on WF's remaining schedule:

Pitt - 40
FSU - 16
Duke - 14
NCST - 29
Notre Dame - 5
Syracuse - 41

so, every defense is roughly as good or better than the one that totally emasculated us yesterday.
We won't score a point against FSU. May not cross the 50.

our offense was atrocious but theoretically the drops and awful short yard performance were unsustainably bad.

I’ve made no personal attacks…dude

What I have done and will continue to do, is remind everyone of the sickening misogynistic posts you have made.

And if that gets me moderated, I will wear that like a South Carolina Congresswoman wearing a Scarlet A
I pointed out facts raised by the coach’s attorneys. If you attack me personally again I’ll take whatever measures are necessary to stop you.

I see Kern is listed as a redshirt junior. If he's eligible to graduate in May, I wonder if he will even return given the current situation and knowing he's no more of an answer than Griffis. If Kern does move on, that leaves us with Griffis, Gilliam and who else for 2024? Absent the portal, do we have a serviceable QB for next season?
Hecklinski if he signs and gets to WF in January.

We won't score a point against FSU. May not cross the 50.

The FSU and Duke games were scary to me. I don’t see how our offense would outperform State or Cuse against those opponents.

Yeah. When he blamed it on the WR's, I turned it off.
Correct.

Apparently Mitch's qb guru is wearing a hoodie and telling us our wide receivers suck.

He may not be good at being a qb guru.

Sales and BS, probably very good.

O-line is obviously bad, but Mitch is the worst pocket QB I have seen in 20 years.

Is this what Klintman's guru sounded like to Forbes? If so, yuck.

Correct.

Apparently Mitch's qb guru is wearing a hoodie and telling us our wide receivers suck.

He may not be good at being a qb guru.

Sales and BS, probably very good.

O-line is obviously bad, but Mitch is the worst pocket QB I have seen in 20 years.

Is this what Klintman's guru sounded like to Forbes? If so, yuck.
Woah, I mean he was Drew Lock’s QB coach at Mizzou, let’s put some respect on his name.

Back