• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Class of 2017 Admissions Questions

WakeBDer

Broderick Hicks
Reaction score
I really like most of these:

Essay: In 1962 Wake Forest became the first major private southern college to integrate. As we celebrate the 50th anniversary, we ask how your story will contribute to the diversity of our campus community. Tell us your story.

In Brief:
1. What outrages you? What are you doing about it? Think locally.
2. "People who aren't busy all the time might start to think." – Terry Pratchett
When do you stop being busy and start to think?
3. Think of things that fascinated you when you were 10 years old – what has endured?
4. Make a rational argument for a position you do not personally support. For clarity, please state your true opinion first and then argue the opposite position. Consider an issue that has affected you personally.
5. Give us your top ten list.
6. Imagine that in the near future, scientists can digitally recreate the consciousness of deceased individuals and store it on handheld devices. Every citizen, upon reaching adulthood, is issued one of these devices, inhabited by the mind of a single historical figure. It is your eighteenth birthday, and you are about to choose the figure who will accompany you for the rest of your life. Who will you choose? Why?
7. The previous question was submitted by a 2012 Wake Forest University applicant. What question do you think we should ask next year's applicants?

What outrages me is crap like this. If this is typical for college applications these days, I would have ended up at Wake Tech.

i really like these. part of me is really, REALLY thankful i didn't have to answer them. but i like them a lot. it seems like they're really trying to attract people who are more "outside the box" thinkers, rather than asking questions like they did of my year like "what is your academic passion?"

What outrages me is crap like this. If this is typical for college applications these days, I would have ended up at Wake Tech.

Just out of curiosity, which ones upset you? From what I understand more and more research shows that students aren't leaving high school with critical thinking skills. I would say these questions involve some critical thinking.

how does the length differ between the essay and the in brief cause i could fill some f'ing blue books with some of those in brief questions.

What possible issue could you have with these questions

i really like these. part of me is really, REALLY thankful i didn't have to answer them. but i like them a lot. it seems like they're really trying to attract people who are more "outside the box" thinkers, rather than asking questions like they did of my year like "what is your academic passion?"

I had academic passion too. :rulz:

the 2 i remember (class of 03) were what does pro humanitate mean to you and compare yourself to a fictional character from literature

Way too political.

Question 5 has been around for a few years since I was doing some admissions counseling for Kaplan. Great one for kids to get creative.

What possible issue could you have with these questions

i would imagine the issue is that they're not easy questions. maybe for a english or philosophy major they would be, but as an accounting major, i would find them difficult to answer. that said, i still think it's brilliant as a means to getting people who are more creative and thoughtful.

Only question there I remember answering for the class of 2011 was #4. Believe I did Malthusian economics.

College essay questions are such BS. Does anyone actually think Wake Forest is a diverse campus?

The high school senior version of me would've instantly gotten more interested in Vandy, Duke, UNC, UVA, etc if I had to answer crap like this on the Wake application.

I don't think a single one of those was asked for 2009. I don't remember anything out of the ordinary being asked at all.

The high school senior version of me would've instantly gotten more interested in Vandy, Duke, UNC, UVA, etc if I had to answer crap like this on the Wake application.

The high school senior version of you would have gotten almost exactly the same type of questions as this at the schools you listed. Actually, Duke's are some of the craziest I've seen.

at first i thought the essay was meh but thinking more about it it's a great way for potential students to explain something unique they bring to the table other than race, gender, socio-economic status, etc

do you have to answer all 7? or do you get to choose, say, 4 of them?

for the class of 2006, we were given 3 topics, and we had to answer 2. i think it was the academic passion one, the pro humanitate one, and then one about a social injustice that we had personally worked with, or something along those lines.

Back